there MUST be an faster way to texture map...

i am trying to map textures onto a modle and one-by-one mappin is… heh kinda slow, so i was wonderin if there is a way to texture several polys at once. thx fer any help :smiley:

Maybe i was not so clear with what i was trying to say so here is a better more understandable way to put it here she goes: when i select my model and press “F” to face select and i also have a window open to assign texture to the face, now i know how to assign texture to face-by-face one at a time but that is soo slow when i go to texture an entire model that way. I know that in milkshape you can make a texture group and then assign a texture to the entire part of your models body (or wutever) whitch may be 50 polys (not that that matters) so… is there a similar thing in blender, or do i have to assign one by one polys to a texture map. as alwase any help would be great :smiley:

I do not know if this is what you are asking for, but have you tried to select all faces when in faceselect (A-key), then press U-key and select ‘from window’, this will load all vertices into the uv-editor, you can then press the third key from the homekey which streches all vertices over the selected texture (this however does not leave as good results as when you fine tune :wink: )

Hope this was any help.

Or, in face select mode, you can hit Tab to go to edit mode, select the vertices of the faces you want, and leave edit mode. Now the faces you want are selected.
You can also use material groups to select vertices. Look in the edit buttons for the group of buttons just under the layer buttons. With these you can add new material groups, and assign them to selected vertices by pressing ‘assign’ when vertices are selected. then you can select those vertices by chosing the group from the top button (looks like: # mat:#) and clicking ‘select’.

you can collect faces with holding down shitkey while selecting

What are you trying to texture map? I mean, here is a way to do, say a human face:

1 Select head
2 press the f key
3 hit the [a] key until you have nothing selected, then look at the profile view (hit num pad 3?)
4. hit [b] for box select and select the front half of the face, then hit [4] or [6] 12 times to go to oposite direction and [b] box select again this side of the head, front only.
5. now look a the front view, make sure every face in front is selected, if not, hold down the shift and left click on any missing faces.
6. Hit the u and select “from Window”
7. load your texture, and now size the “image” of the polygons to fit the face in the template ([s] key and drag mouse). Then you need to go grab areas, like the eyes, and move them over the proper spot in the texture. you can move one vert at a time to fine tune it too. Use the box select even when you are moving only one vert, because for some wierd reason, the verticies will break up? into two, leaving some edges behind. I don’t understand that???

did that help? I don’t mean to talk down, but sometimes, that’s the type of answer I’d like to get. “just walk me through the whole thing”, you know?

Love Ingie

it leaves vertices behind?

If I understand you right, you have to use border select, because if you selected more than one face, every face is independant from the other (in the image window). and if you see one vertex, you actually have up to four over each other, one for every face . this is different from the mesh setup.

HH

Yes HH, I actually see the reson for that now. So you can past something different on each face, if you want to. I guess to do that, you really have to make sure they’re not shared???

Actually, I don’t understand why, LOL, hee hee hee. But I know it is, and therefore I’ll deal with it, LOL.

Thanks, at least you kind of opened my eyes as to why, er, sort of.

Love Ingie

easy example. Try to map a globe, or an even more complex shape.

Sometimes it is better to use a single big image with several texture areas.

separate faces allow you to freely put them on the image. So if you have 3x3 faces, you can put the middle one elsewhere on the image and you can even scale it, giving it a better resolution.

It is sometimes good to use the edge of a face as the border of a coloured area. It gives you a sharp edge, no matter what the resolution of the image. This works best, if one face is entirely on the, for example, blue side of the image and the other is on the darkblue side. Leaving a space between the faces is helpful there.

Another problem: I do not know if it is my lacking skill, but when you use Tex face, I find myself very limited. So I rather use normal textures and turn on UV as the texture coordinates. But with UV it is (for me) not possible to use several pictures for one texture channel. So I need to put them into one file. Then you really need to separate faces.

so the reason for this feature is enhancement of your possibilities. But it would be nice to get a simpler select mode, if you want to select the overlapping vertices.

HH