Thermal Camera

Hello all,

I have to create a video of a scene, and in it, the camera has to be a thermal camera. the problem is I don’t know nothing about it, and I don’t know what parameters I have to specify !?

Maybe I have to modify the type of the image or something concerning the image (in black and white maybe ??)

Regarding the thermal camera, I heard about the spatial resolution. Is this the value of the focal, like for optic camera ? If yes, how can I specify it ?

Thx for your help :slight_smile:

I make thermal cameras for a living. A thermal camera takes pictures of temperature. So something hot is white something cold is dark. It is not black and white. wikipedia it. I know all of the normal measurements of thermal camera’s, NETD MRTD, MTF etc and spatial resolution is not a term I’m familiar with, do you mean detector pitch?

The spatial resolution is not the detector pitch, its unit is the mrad. I figure out it’s important but I don’t know if it’s possible to model it into blender.

However, maybe NETD, MRTD or others can be modeled thanks to the nodes of compositing ??

What are the normal measurements of whom you are speaking ??

The spatial resolution will be the minimum angle between two objects a camera can resolve, because of the long wavelengths of thermal IR this is far lower than visible light - the image will always look blurred.

To simulate the low spatial resolution just blur the render output.
To simulate the actual behaviour of an IR camera you will need to retexture every object in the scene according to how much heat it would be emitting, it would be easiest to do this on a scale of black (cold) to white (hot) then use a colour ramp in the compositing nodes to convert it to the classic heat maps/spectrum maps often seen.

Great information Zephyris !! It looks like easier than I guessed… but don’t count your chickens before they have hatched :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you very much, I’ll study it !!

If you want to enhance the realism of the render you can also use warm objects as light sources to roughly simulate how they heat up nearby objects. Imagine a radiator next to a wall, if the radiator emits some light it will light up (heat up) the wall behind it.

I wouldn’t bother with blur. All of the images I see every day are crisp. A good IR camera doesn’t exhibit it. Just remember, glass is opaque and I would use indirect lighting to do it since almost everything is an emitter. mirrors still reflect though.