They Came From Below - Blender Guru Sci-Fi Competition

the problem with the aspect ratio is to do with the newspaper, alien and curb
the newspaper should be a tad longer and the curb is a tad thick for a round curb? where-as a ‘blocky’ curb would be about that size…
im still very new to this but hope i helped :slight_smile:

but all together? very good!

I like this one man…very creative:) however if thats a manhole cover he is coming out of its the biggest one I’ve ever seen:) Same goes for the news paper. However shrinking the manhole would ruin your composition. Maybe this is a single drive lane alley way right:P A manhole cover is about 3 feet in diameter and a concrete curb is about 8 inches wide:) Just for reference:)

Good luck!

TheNewGuy, thanks! I’m glad you like it! I could potentially do a tutorial; I will say now, though, that a lot of that detail in the road consists of decals. I think I can try to make the alien a little bigger; it’s a bit difficult at this stage of the image, but I’ll try in my next update. And yes, I’m hoping to add a bit more of a sci-fi touch to the image, since right now the only sci-fi element is the alien :yes:

bailey, thank you! The newspaper is definitely a bit too short, and I believe you’re right about the curb as well. I’ve fixed those things here. Thanks for your critique, and I’m glad you like the image!

Derek, glad you like it! Yeah, it does seem to be too big, but my initial thought was that this was a one-lane drive, because I thought that a smaller manhole would ruin the composition, like you said :stuck_out_tongue: Thank you for those measurements! Definitely very helpful. You should see a bit more of a difference in my next update.

This is great! Very cool render and concept :slight_smile:

Add a reflection of clouds in the eye, and you looking down at it with a camera? :smiley:

Thanks, Quasi!

BluePrint, there actually are clouds in the sky; the reflections on the eye are just hard to see since it’s reflecting all the other scene elements :yes:

Here’s another update. Did some more detail work on this one. See if you can spot the differences :smiley:

Hi I like a lot the idea and the image. Why don´t you try to fake the reflections by adding another image texture with alpha to the eye´s material?

this is really cool man! looks extremely good…goodluck! :slight_smile:

Thanks, both of you!

Wow. It’s been a few days since I last posted on this thread. Well, during that time, I was trying to improve the material for the tentacles, when all of a sudden, Cycles SSS test builds were released! :smiley: So here’s an updated material. Thoughts?

I like the tentacles with the SSS better than the one without it :slight_smile: You’ve definitely got some fantastic texturing skills there :smiley:

Looks pretty slimey that way, I like it!