They should be called angel rays, things that will never change: thoughts, feelings about caustics

Sorry for the longish post… but this is not a rant… :smile_cat:

:question:

So… caustics are not complex… ? And everbody just get nice caustics by just enableing them…

What i tried to say was:
I think that’s exactly the main problem for some people… ( for myself also my un-powerfull system is a bit of a retention reason… and then again i tend to first want to know something about the things i do and not just tweak some bottons like some do… but this is a bit too off topic here :sweat_smile: ) likewise with HDRI… some do not understand them and others use them for everthing…
…but maybe my english was not got enough for that ??

And because anybody uses biased renderers there is also no need for using any quicker rendering enginee like for example EEVEE… and so nobody has to use any “tricks”…
Maybe you also didn’t read the lines between the videos because i wrote

and showed some where caustics are used… ( but they still need some additional render time… and nobody has time these day…which may explain your uproar… )

Isn’t this what i was trying to tell ??

Again: i do not understand your uproar against my words… you do not even have to mention your experience with caustics to make me believe you… caustics are another detail of realism which are aweseome to use … even in blender…

according LuxCoreRender:

(you may have noticed that i do know something about other renderer than the blender embedded ones )

isn’t it sad that someone can’t read about this directly on the webpage but

LuxInfo

…so since 3.0 this is “in developement” and someone has to dig this out from the forum…

anyway… i might even try this now… well not now now… but now i know that i can try this…

according LightTracer:

…interesting… never heard about this one… …but also i’m a bit puzzled… the website is with .org and then it’s payed… (starting with 10EUR/mo) ?? maybe not what i would use the next few month… but anyway… less than VRay (edu 15 EUR/mo) or Octane (~20 EUR/mo)

( there is also some disccusion about “realism” and sometimes caustics (??) in here : BA spectral-cycles-vs-octane)

And by the way…

…inspired by your photo i started to “investigate” caustics a liitle bit more using a simple glass with just some random displacement to make it “interesting” and then even start to draw a very simplicistic pattern… but because i totallt suck at materials and especially glas… my render test are still…
…oh in fact i ditched my last file… somethink like…

GlassUgly

…and now i have to re-member what i did to make it more nice… but in fact i was not very much better… :thinking: … so this may be an opportunity … ?? So here are several thing wrong… motsly because my displacement is only bump because real dispace seems to not work at all ( i don’t know why… did used this before…!?)… and here the caustics (shadow casutics) should be already enabled…

Anyway:

Maybe you can provide some more info or tips about caustics in general or espcailly with blender… ( influence of the virtual material, difference to real inhomogene material, influence of rough (geometry) and (or) fine dislpacement, for example real light parameters ( ← there is a term for this and some industry data collection i actualy don’t remember ), maybe even mutliple spots with some slight different color… :thinking: maybe this is already faking…) than reacting in this… ( i don’t even know how to call this ) maner ??

…and then playing arround for a while and not posting…

GlassUgl3

…so i may have to add some more interesting pattern onto the glass or even make some more changes as a tappered douber cylinder… for example at the bottom ( in fact there is none…) :sweat_smile:

So…
happy blending…

…and about your sentences after the !.. really ?? :smirk:
2 Likes