thickness modifier?

(Grimreaper) #1

hi im just wondering if anybody has written or there is a built in script that im missin that would make a single plane thicker, would help with alot of things like, modelling cars, clothes, floorboards etc.

Thanks.

0 Likes

(BlendRoid) #2

The only way to make a plane thicker, if I understand you correctly, is to extrude it so that it essentially becomes a cube.

0 Likes

(Grimreaper) #3

yh i know that, i been usin blender 4 3 - 4 years lol, jus wondering because it would save alot of time and modeling.

0 Likes

(hyp3rfocus) #4

you could try duplicating it with shift-d and then scaling it along the normals with alt-s in edit mode. this will give you a second mesh that is a constant distance away from the first, which is like adding thickness.

0 Likes

(Kai Kostack) #5

Scripts >> Mesh >> Solidify Selection

0 Likes

(Grimreaper) #6

ah yes,thank you mate il email you later with new tests n errors :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(Hoehrer) #7

Oh, and just for those not following GSOC development - after the new bevel code (editmode & modifier) is implemented there might be an “offset” and “shell” modifier following shortly. Read http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:ReD_Fox/SummerOfCode2007 and the linked pages for more info on that. And if I’m not mistaken the GSOC stuff should be merged (2.50 codebase) in the following weeks?

Werner

0 Likes