Things about GIMP i need to know

Hey!

I’ve been trying out photoshop via the free trial version. Been using it for some time and I’ve gotten pretty good at it. but my trial period is running out and I dont wanna reinstall my computer again because of it ( :stuck_out_tongue: ).
So I looked for an alternative and found GIMP.

Been trying it out for the last 2 days and now I’ve got some questions:

1.) Photoshop has a Layer Effect tool. Does GIMP have that tool? Found one but i would have to update it all the time for etc. stroke. Photoshop has a real time stroke tool does GIMP have that too?

2.) The windows; In photoshop u had one window. GIMP has 3 open when u got ur tools on the one side and color layer etc. on the other. So when u etc. go into Blender and back u have to select all 3 windows. Is it possible to make 1 window with all the windows so i click that and get those 3 windows in 1?

3.) How do I change the brush size? Do i really have to make a shortcut and define a new brush that is dynamic?

• Mariolink

Perhaps this plug in will help?

http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=3892

:slight_smile:

1 Down 2 to go :D!

With the latest versions of Gimp, there’s no need for the “dewierdifier” plugin. You can easily reduce the number of windows from 3 down to 2. Just drag and drop all the “panels” from the 2nd tool window to the first and close the 2nd window. Hard to explain, but experiment and you’ll figure it out.

No layer effects in GIMP, but most plugins work and PS “actions” are coming soon.

To change the brush size, double click on the brush tool icon, which brings you the brush settings panel. Then click on the brush in the panel and all the brushes in the folder will appear. You can create your own brushes, or you can use PS brushes.

GIMP rocks! Been using it instead of PS for about a year now.

Layer effects or layer styles?

Layer effects: http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=6988

Layer styles: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/1872584/

On the bottom of the brush dialog box on newer versions of Gimp, there is a “new brush” button that will allow you to edit brushes on the fly.

2.) The windows; In photoshop u had one window. GIMP has 3 open when u got ur tools on the one side and color layer etc. on the other. So when u etc. go into Blender and back u have to select all 3 windows. Is it possible to make 1 window with all the windows so i click that and get those 3 windows in 1?

No. (Not that I know of anyway) This is because Gimp was developed on Linux where there are much more advanced Window and Desktop managers than there are in Windows. Supposedly there is work being done to make it an option to use an MDI interface (one window) with Gimp, but I don’t think it’s ready yet.

Hello
Layer effects?
Right button click over image -> Script-fu -> Layer Effects
Easy

OTO> those doesn’t update automatic :<

FishB8> The plug-in works :>

Skottish> The Layer Effect script comes up with an error

Attachments

Sorry about that. I’ve never used it so I don’t know.

–>> I just installed it and it works fine on the three test I tried. I’m not sure what the hick-up is on your box. Just so you know, I used the 06b zip file on top.

Woops it was the layer style that didn’t work. The other doesn’t update by it self and that’s basicly what is want :<

Whoops! The layer styles thing completely blows up on Gimp 2.3.10. I’ve actually run it before, a long, long, time ago, on a Gimp far earlier than this.

Even if you can find in the web some script for emulating layers styles,
they are not comparable, as they aren’t updated “on the fly” but just
create additional (fixed) layers with the effect inside.
(I mean: in Ps these are attributes to a layer you can modify at
anytime and see the results in realtime, in gimp they’re fixed layers
applied like a simple script)

Watta hill! Just duplicate the layer, apply effect and hide the original… lol sure wasnt layer effects in PS3

The 2.3 branch is for debugging new features before they are taken into the stable 2.2 branch. Expect even more things to blow up with that version. :smiley:

there is a branch of gimp called GIMPshop where there is only 1 window.
Web search should find it. You do get used to the 3 windows though.
Brendon.

No, sorry that’s not so simple. Apart real time adjustments (for which
you might have to repeat your procedure lots of times), the layer style
scripts for blender aren’t real rendering but a simpler implementation,
you can check yourself the differences between a real bevel and emboss
(not taking care of the contour and other options) and the gimpscript.
One has “perfect in every pixel” results, the other has an approx that’s
visually similar only at a certain level (zoom on the corners to spot the
differences). Good for hobbist but not if you need to do something
professional (like colormaps faking bump for 3d games,etc.etc.).

In that case in gimp you have to build a separate map for bumpmap
filter (the “feather selection trick” produces artifacts on the corners too,
so you have to build the bumpmap “by hands”). Still possible but you’ll
waste much more time (Is a bit like the difference between a RAD development
environment and a standard one, RAD is a bit specialized but can save
lot of time,in its field.)

Yeah, of course you’re right.

GIMP != Photoshop

there is a branch of gimp called GIMPshop where there is only 1 window.
Web search should find it. You do get used to the 3 windows though.
Brendon.
Gimpshop is rather buggy and crash prone. Also, makes it kinda hard to get help on forums because GimpShop uses a different menuing system than regular Gimp.

As for bump mapping…there is a plugin for Gimp to create normal maps, I believe it is available on the gimp plugin registry.

rather than gimpshop, better use the traditional gimp instead. Why? well userbase i do think influenced either both versions. And gimpshop is based on GIMP. It’s not that complicated actually. Yes it’s damn annoying at first but when you get used to it, it won’t be much of a problem anymore. That’s why virtual desktop would come in handy :smiley:

Does GIMP have somthing like the ( Healing Brush tool ) that found on photoshop ?