Think I'll Stay With 2.79b Unless I Find A Way to Understand the 2.8 Changes in Interface

Thanks for this reply, did not know there was an alternative way for texturing and surfacing, along with backgrounds for
world. I will have to look into using nodes.
I do not use Blender on-line and only have access to the manual when I visit a library and use the internet.
It certainly would be nice to download a pdf version of the updated 2.8 manual. Most often I have used trial and error on my own along with books purchased to use Blender.

Hopefully the next edition of Blender for Dummies that will be released in December will have some detailed insight into the changes that have taken place in 2.8. Already have purchased two of these books as a guide in the past editions.

This isn’t normal. I can tell you with 100% certainty that this did not change. Here is the blender 2.80 manual entry for view navigation:
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/editors/3dview/navigate/navigation.html#panning

Maybe I’m confused or something. Perhaps you mean some other type of movement? That or maybe you are using the same mouse for each machine and the middle button is broken. Are you using a standard mouse? The scroll wheel on a standard mouse is the middle mouse button. Pressing down on the scroll wheel while holding shift should pan the view.

Yes, this is because the older version doesn’t know how to work with the scene. The layer system that 2.79 uses was replaced by collections. There is a simple work around however. You can copy (ctrl + c) the objects in 2.8’s viewport and paste (ctrl + v) them into 2.79’s viewport.

The cycles render engine uses nodes to setup materials by default. I think it was added in 2.6. Before that, you could enable the “use nodes” option in blender internal to use nodes for materials, but it’s node system wasn’t completely the same as what you use in cycles. The new replacement for the old default render engine uses most of the same nodes the cycles render engine uses, so any book or video that explains how to setup materials in cycles should help you learn the node system for eevee (the new default engine). The main difference is that in eevee you need to turn on some effects manually in order for the nodes for them to work.

You can DL the manual next time you are online:

@StephenDigital

Hey Stephen! I completely understand where you are coming from! I was a user back in 2008 before the
switch to 2.5 interface. Huge change! And I was only in 7th grade at the time but man did I love making cloth fall over a cube. :joy:

I want to encourage you to keep going! If you go to the library where you get internet access and watch (any number of tutorials really) some key tutorials, it will really make a difference! Several references have already been provided here on this thread but I can’t recomend enough Blender Guru’s new Donut tutorial on youtube.

The original helped 1,000s of people get better at or newly start blender. And the new version is just a really accessible way to get familiarized with the new 2.80 interface! Some people love the donut tutorial others hate it (because its great for the layman maybe) but either way it is a very efficient tool to learn or relearn Blender.

Now I’m using Blender as part of my design workflow in a portfolio I hope will allow me to go back to school to study architecture. Blender is so worth learning because it is free! And it comes with a huge support and help community (which I have recently been welcomed in to!) of people who want to help you see your blender goals become a reality!

I work in construction now (not making a lot of money) and if Blender were a paid program or had expensive learning resources creating a convincing and relevant portfolio would be a bear of a different caliber!

Basically I want to cheer you on and point you to the recources that helped me become proficient in Blender! Watch YouTube! Blender Guru donut tutorial is a great starting point. But don’t stop there! Lazy tutorials from Ian Hubert are a great resource too! And the work of Grant Abbit! The sky is the limit mate.

And don’t be afraid to ask the community questions! I’m new here but have only encountered people going so far out of their way to help me find things and fix problems! That is the real reason Blender is so special. Switch to 2.80 and happy blending mate! Stay with it!

Over a year ago some people here replied regarding my complaint about the changes into the 2.8 series of Blender. I have finally started to get a little bit of understanding with the changes between 2.7 and forward into 2.8 and 2.9. Thanks to all for your time and consideration (patience) with my confusion here. Found a way to start getting a better understanding of the 2.8 and 2.9 series by watching and working through some Blender Tutorials on You Tube. Still trying to figure out how to get the nice world background that was available in 2.79 with the clouds texture feature. Again in 2.79 discovered a way to import pngs or jpgs into world for a complete background image that was mapped perfectly into the background as a single image by clicking on a few Influence options (zenith and horizon). With nodes that option in texture is no longer available or different and something I cannot figure out. Overall I am beginning to realize that some of the new features are truly an advantage compared to past series versions of Blender. Seems this new series of 2.8 and 2.9 are beginning to bring in new features that allow you to create a more realistic or close to photographic realism in your images. Found this really neat feature usable in 2.9 using google maps for getting orthographic views of almost anything in the world.

I guess it is time to move on to 2.8 with at least one computer I have that allows me to use system CUDA and Cycles features. Have a low end GT1030 Nvidia graphic card on an older 6th generation I7 intel, slow yet works.

2 Likes

Hi, this is not that bad, you can use CPU and GPU together for Cycles render.
I set up an example .blend for the world texture mapping, check out.

mapping_background.blend (3.6 MB)

Good luck for the 2.9 experience and upcomming 3.0.

Cheers, mib
EDIT: This is a Blender 2.93 file, it should work in all 2.9 builds.
Blender 2.93 will be published tomorrow.

1 Like

Thanks for this lead, I’ll try it out.

I attend to agree with the original post by the threads author. Blender Devs should give us a way To make the UI LOOK exactly like blender 2.79b its not hard to do really. Until this is implemented I am sticking with 2.79b IF I just started using blender it wouldn’t have been an issue from blender 2.8 + the UI is just horrfic you cant find a thing you are looking for short cuts are not the issue hiding everything is. I have used blender over the years in different states to check it out 2.4 was even easier to use then 2.8+. Blender devs missed the mark on this IF they could put in a feature to let you use 2.79 key mapping why not a feature to let you use the 2.79b interface?

Can you give us an example of things that are hidden? By “hidden” do you mean there’s no longer a tiny wee button for just about every feature you want to use always displayed on the screen?

I get the sense that the overwhelming majority of people prefer the UI changes… including many who were uncertain at first. Learning the new stuff takes hardly any time. I got used to left-click select in a couple of days to the extent that any time I have fired up 2. 79 since I just can’t use it.

4 Likes

Let’s be honest: if you really can’t use Blender 2.8x interface after 2 years and you haven’t learned anything you should ask yourself what is wrong.

Actually, with interface you can’t have a compromise to change something for the better if you stay with old UI/UX. Also you can’t have an option to back to old look in 2.8x because there are many reasons: maintaining old interface, compatibility issues, problems with new features that would need changes in both interfaces. Someone would be hired for a full-time job only for this one task, instead of improving a new interface, implementing new features etc.

There’s not one good argument for staying with the old interface and there are too few people who need this. It’s not possible to make everything for everyone.

I don’t want to be rude but you’ve should really put some time to learn new UI. You can always ask a question if there’s something impossible to overcome. But if it’s a really big problem to learn 2.8x UI - stay with 2.79.

2 Likes

That is not hard to do. That is impossible to do.
Just because the content of blender 3.0 is not the same as the content of blender 2.79b.

2.79b did not have new concepts like Active Tool, Workspaces, Collections, View Layers, Overlays, Libraries Overrides, Mixing of Snap Elements, Symmetry shared between modes, Grease Pencil Object, LineArt, Cryptomatte, AOVs, Pablo Dobarro’s Sculpt Mode, Cycles X, Geometry Nodes, Mantaflow, Asset Browser…
Each of these big additions is bringing its own set of modifications to UI.

New stuff like gizmos is there, to help people to use Blender with just one hand, with a tablet.
You can hide several things from new UI.
You can hide toolsettings bar or status bar.
You can hide gizmos.
You can replace navigation gizmo with old small axis.
You can restore visual bits to control collections as layers with collection manager addon.
But this is pretty much all you can do to make Blender 3.0 look like 2.79b without rewriting UI scripts yourself.

But the rest of UI has often to deal with improvements of UI for discoverability, use of tablets or storage of properties of new abilities.

You can deplore that Toolbar is restricted to display of potential active tools.
That is a fact that active tool is improving the UX for tablet users.
The active tool and its settings need a place to be exposed.

A workspace is different than a 2.79b screen layout.
It may imply a mode switch, a dedicated keymap and filtered addons activations.
You can prefer a pie-menu to switch from one workspace to another one than horizontal tabs.
You may deplore that tabs are left aligned rather than centered or right aligned.
But tabs are also better for tablet users.

You may think that one setting per line in properties is a waste of space. But that improves readability and allows to show decorators indicating more clearly key-framing, use of drivers and overrides.
Those ones are also allowing to make in one click what was implying to know a shortcut in 2.79b.
It improves discoverability.
The vertical header in properties editor allows to display all tabs. that is not the case in 2.79b.
Consequence of one column layout is that half of settings, previously displayed, may be out of sight.
But this column can be narrowed. I wish we could split Properties into 2 columns to avoid that.
We would have same benefit as the use of 2 columns for toolbar in Sculpt mode but for properties.

That is is true that in properties, many settings are hidden into sub-panels.
But if you take into account that amount of properties incredibly increased with amount of big features ; there is no other way than to hide some of them, less frequently used ones, or to expose them as nodes, created by user, at will.
The plan is to change modifiers into nodes, particles into nodes and constraints into nodes.
Those tabs should become less and less complicated and should only expose settings requested by user, in the future.
Goal of developers is still to make things more clear and simple to use.

They also try to keep things manageable for them. There is no benefit for user to have 4 node editors instead of one. But for developers that corresponds to split a long unreadable UI script into 4 smaller scripts.

Annoyance of unknown place of known features is more due to inflation of new abilities, that are completing or replacing them, than really bad UI choices.

I am not saying that I am happy with everything.
I think that Keying popover in Timeline header is an example of bad choice of hiding stuff that should be directly accessible.
I prefer buttons to switch a node editor to object/world/linestyle nodes.
I think it is more pertinent to have a column showing nodes to drag and drop rather only 2 active tools.
I ergonomically suffer from Last Operator panel stuck to the left side of screen.
I think that lack of brushes management is annoying for sculpt and paint modes. Repetition rather than dispatching of brush settings is making UI of those modes horribly inefficient.
And you can find on right-click select a lot of proposals to solve a lot of similar problems.

Some of those problems were present in 2.79b. Some of those problems are due to wrong assumptions or oblivions from developers when creating new stuff. Some of those problems are just due to transition phase (developers thought about solutions, but did not have time to put them in place).

Blender 3.0 UI is not perfect. Blender 2.79b 's one was not, too.
So, change of UI was inevitable and it is not finished, yet.
You should accept that there will be no comeback to previous situation for a lot of stuff.
Choose battles that you can win and try to be specific about what could be a smart change.

2 Likes

Actually IT IS possible to do you fail to grasp all it needs is new buttons or menus. only thing bad about the 2.79b ui was the duplicate menu. The new UI is absently trash.

2.79b interface was still better heck 2.49-2.50 was easier and not so hard on ones eyes and still could find everything

1 Like

what is Wrong is the blender dev teams in-abilty to code. I think they just went off the deep end on it.

They can do ANYTHING but your proposal is an unnecessary feature that would be expensive and time-consuming and would satisfy maybe 2 people in the world. It would be a major step back for Blender development. There will be a new UI redesigns in the future and it will require continuous learning. And you will be still waiting for old UI from 2009? It would never happen.

It’s easier to break a mental barrier and learn that new UI. Start with pressing F3 to search. Talk to people on this forum, they really amazing and they can help anyone. When I start with Blender there was 2.49 version and I go through all those changes and I’ve never looked back because it would stopped my progress and my career.

1 Like

So… no examples of these “hidden” things then?

Perhaps look into the BForArtists build then? It might agree more with you.

There will definitely be a pool of users that will end up preferring the older interface. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally, the newer UI is what finally got me to switch to Blender. I honestly gave version 2.6/2.7 at least three if not four tries over the years. I always really struggled with the UI and completely gave up.

While there are still some things I struggle with in Blender, the UI is thankfully no longer one of them.

I think you’ll find that the vast majority of Blender users now like the new UI and as with users as myself, it’s allowing them an easier time to make Blender their tool of choice for 3D.

On rare occasions, I’ve had to open 2.49 for some specific feature and I always feel like I’m about to go blind and mad trying to find anything in that interface.

But I also remember that when 2.5 was first released I hated the new UI and much preferred 2.49. It was only when I read the reasoning behind the design changes that suddenly it all clicked for me and I embraced the change.

So many users switched over to Blender once 2.8 was released and a major factor seems to be the easier UI. Even Cinema 4D appears to have taken inspiration from it.

I followed Blender development since 2.46. Contrary to you, I know how to use Blender 3.0.

I am not satisfied by several things in Blender 3.0. And I can guarantee you that more buttons or menus will change anything to that.

I can also guarantee you that if you put efforts to learn new Properties Editor, new Outliner and just new tools : you can work a lot faster in Blender 3.0 than in Blender 2.79b.
That would not be possible if UI was trash.