Thinking about giving up on the BGE

hahahhaha trolling. Please close the thread.

BTW, could Godot to be closer (even a little bit) to this workflow? I think not.

Then, Godot is not the best engine for small teams.

hahahhaha trolling. Please close the thread.

beep…beep…beep…alien engine alarm:D:D

BTW, could Godot to be closer (even a little bit) to this workflow?

…closer?..much more better workflow.

Mistran should be banned from the game engines section eh?

Import-Export workflow much better than Press “P” workflow. Hahahhaha. What I said before, please close the thread.

1. I think a moderator has to move it. There’s probably a report button or something.

2. Godot vs BGE
    Until we have a definitive answer for 2.8 (notably if old games will be compatible) I wouldn’t start anything big that you’d not want to re-write. Godot is the safe choice in that aspect.

Having worked extensively with both I gotta say Godot3 is definitely the cool new thing, although it still has certain weaknesses compared to BGE. Features are give-and-take, BGE workflow wins in teams of 1-2, and BGE has a much lower memory footprint despite the larger download.

Me being one of those filthy casuals that uses < 5% of an engine’s features: Godot stands out for having better prefab support, plain-text datafiles, headless mode, consistent API, and active developers.

Really hoping 2.8 brings me back. That smooth BGE workflow is like crack.

Definitely, I will stay on board as well…so long as the renderer is fast enough. I would hate to leave BGE, but until I see some happenings myself I cannot say where I will be in a year from now…There is still plenty of time though…things can change, that is why I am not committing to another engine yet.

@Mistran: Godot, or any other engine, has no chance against blender in terms of workflow…if you really think that…you have no business making games because that is plain ignorant.

@ Moderators: I agree this thread should be moved or closed…even though I have participated, I do not see anything productive coming out of this.

Godot, or any other engine, has no chance against blender in terms of workflow

Global Game Jam 2018

1. Unity: 4011
  2. Unreal: 316
  3. Gamemaker: 274
  4. Construct: 223
  5. Godot: 75
    where’s BGE or UPBGE with your great workflow?:D:rolleyes:

How is this?
Unity is 5300% better than Godot?

Your comments have no sense.

I fail to see how this slinging match is helping either engine, does this thread have a point outside of this sort of warfare?

Let’s make a fair comparison between UPBGE and Godot (not vanilla BGE, we know it’s not viable for anything until the new version becomes the drop-in replacement).

• UPBGE Strengths

• Workflow (nothing is faster than modeling in Blender and pressing ‘P’)

• Fast testing of various scenes (the play hotkey activates whatever scene in whatever view you are in).

• You already have it when you download Blender

• Logic bricks are a nice high-level visual concept

• Properties provide a dead simple interface for unique object attributes

• The ability to use general Python functions aid in custom-building game systems.

• Artists can build shaders using the node editor (though this advantage will disappear in a matter of months)

• Eevee is (arguably) a superior graphics engine at this point, providing it gets optimized for speed

• Godot 3.0 strengths

• A much larger number of volunteer developers

• Much better funding with paid positions

• Development rate is solid and has accelerated year to year

• The system of reusing assets and objects is done in a way that is superior to the other indie engines (no prefab/scene separation, nested scenes, inherited scenes, the works).

• GDscript can do things Python can’t (match statements, enums, ect…).

• More tools out of the box (path construction, 2D/3D timemaps, dedicated ray objects, and UI building blocks make various things easier to do than in UPBGE).

• A shading API explicitly designed to be as easy as possible, it’s not near as complex as GLSL scripting in UPBGE.

• A dedicated hack-free 2D engine (that can even overlay any 3D scene).

In my opinion, I see some of the Godot advantages having a larger punch than the BGE advantages. However, the UPBGE crew can take credit for resolving several of the worst aspects of the old BGE.

I find it strange people saying the BGE is useless. If you step outside the box of just small games you will find that you can create the terrain of the whole world on which you can create whatever you want within the current parameters of the BGE. At least I can if I wish. The only thing I find strange is the seas are a bit calm in the maritime routes of about 25km although the sailors seem happy enough . Strange that.:slight_smile: B

P.S. See tutorial on my thread.

How is this?
Unity is 5300% better than Godot?

Your comments have no sense.

…sorry…but It looks like,you have in that a some confusion:)
…who talked about Unity?

If you were there for the keynote then it was pretty obvious why unity had so many people. It was like… USE UNITY OR ELSE! Thankfully I played it off cool and they didn’t send me to the re-education center. You think it’s just coincidence that it’s so prevalent in universities? And what about the professors that mysteriously disappear when they decide to try something open source? Something is going on here and it’s bigger than any of us.

Meanwhile BF doesn’t mention BGE on their own website. We have skilled blender users that don’t even know it has a game engine. At least Godot has a dude that tries to advertise in his free time.

[SUP][SUB]Maybe exaggerating just a little[/SUB][/SUP]