thinking about linux

i’ve been thinking about puting linux on my computer but i have a few questions first:
how does it compare to WinXP?
can i add it to my Muilt boot list? (as in install it while keeping my windows OS)
is it good for networking?
what about games?

Games: SUCKs, unless you get “Wine” working

Duel Boot: YUP!!! but you will still lose all data, unless you use a linux window distro, forgot its name…

COmpare to XP: uh… its a tuffy… its stable constantly developed and has tons of free software.

Networking: pff why do you see linux server cheaper? It was build for that ^_-

take your pick of distro’s your data safe enough, redhat, fedora, suse, mandrake. They all partition your drive nicely.

Chimpoid

You could get a CD bootable distro and try it out first (knoppix is one that comes to mind). Most of those are Debian or Slack based. I think the ubuntu distro out of South Africa is supposed to be very user friendly and that they also have a CD bootble version. They’ll send you a version free of charge. I’m a Fedora user myself. That’s mainly only because i’m stuck in a rut. I’ve been using red hat since version 5.3
I’ve dual booted for years but I’m afraid my windows version is growing cobwebs, mold and dust. It’s about to be put in the recycle bin.

pssst!: use arch or slackware, harder to sewt up, but much better, not really newbish distro’s, it’s like gentoo without having to compile all the time.

Definitely get your hands on as many LiveCDs as possible. Try it out. I think KDE 3.4 compares very favorably to Windows XP’s desktop. Haven’t tried Gnome 2.10 yet. But then, a desktop environment is just one part of the OS.

As for networking, I hope you have a high-speed connection.

Also take a small survey of your most common uses for Windows, and make sure you can do what you need to in Linux. For example, if you are a hardcore Shockwave developer-to-be, you’re going to be disappointed.

If you play a lot of games, what kind are they? Brand-spanking-new ones are iffy in Linux. Emulated games can work well.

There is a Windows program that’s called (IIRC) Belarc Advisor that will print a list of the brand/model of all the hardware your computer’s using. You can take this list to a Linux forum and ask first to make sure it will all work with the Linux distribution you’ve chosen.

LiveCDs come in handy for setting up your Linux box too - for instance I installed Ubuntu but the hardware detection left out a few items, so I went through about 5 other LiveCDs until I found one that recognized my graphics gear, then just copied its configuration file to the same location on my Ubuntu partition and rebooted. Worked like a charm.

Overall I’d say that if you have more than a few reasons to stick with Windows over Linux, it’s going to be a hard switch. It’s kind of like going to another country and experiencing culture shock. And knowing that you can be back at home, sitting on the couch, within 5 minutes :slight_smile:

Linux is not a panacea. It probably represents “the way the world is going,” and it certainly represents the most common platform now used in professional CG work, but using it can be a mind-blowing experience.

With WindowsXP, particularly in the off-the-shelf versions, things are very much pre-built for you and there is only a small number of choices in any particular area… most of these choices, of course, being Microsoft products.

When you jump into Linux, you enter a completely different world. Now, you have choices of software that come from all over the globe; from many different vendors. You can set it up any way that youw want, but “the kid gloves are off.”

Probably the best thing to do is to leave your existing system exactly the way that it is, and purchase a second machine … maybe a not-so-new machine … on which to run Linux. That way, when you have had enough of :o for one day and you’re feeling quite %| you can switch the damn thing off! :wink: and come back again tomorrow. It’s frankly much better than futzing around with dual-boot; hardware is relatively cheap today, especially “used” stuff.

http://www.transgaming.com/
im going to try it out as soon as a get money. ill let you know how it goes.

The GPL scene isn’t limited to Linux you know. In fact, you’d probably be surprised at the number of win only projects.

Also, just looking at the project list on sourceforge, I wouldn’t say that the choices are that more limited seeing as win is second on the list for the most projects.
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=418

Yes, moving to linux is a different world, but don’t go saying that the software choice on win is limited, that’s just ridiculous.

Martin

live cd’s, lots of them :o

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

Huh?
All of games development is on XP. directX (PC), Xbox & PS2 are all on microsoft dev enviourments, also all prerenderd are all XP work made with 3d studio max.
All of TV CG is done on PC and MacOS X. Maya, Lightwave, Cinema 3d, what you have, run on ALL OS’s and designers love their mac.
Sure ILM will use Linux for their farm and run Linux on their SGi’s but just take a look at the Pixar movie credit list and you’ll see it’s not Linux they work on. (not mac either what is funny for a steve jobs company).

I’d say sundialsvc4 has a loud wishfull thinking.

And I’d say to try a dual boot if you want to be buzy with installing and compiling software and stick to XP if you want to make nice animations.

Let’s just get this over with.

Steven Spielberg is a diehard Blenderhead and runs Fedora Core.
Moby enjoys Rosegarden in Fluxbox.
Mavis Beacon prefers OpenOffice.

There. Happy now?

Me smokin’ something? No, not really. Let me be very quick to say that your choice of OS depends on a great many things besides “preference.” The software you want to run, the hardware you have to use, the size and shape of your render-farm and so on. No one really sets up a shop because they do or don’t like Bill-G.

The main reason why you’ll see a lot of Linux/Unix (and that includes Mac OS/X) is that it runs on hardware of all shapes and sizes (IBM System/390 anyone?), doing so more-or-less the same way on each, and it supports massive computer clusters (“render farms”) very well. It also supports a lot more CPUs per machine. So you are going to see a lot of it in CG, even if you can quote a particular segment that you think is Windows-oriented.

I think the best approach is to simply “be prepared for everything.” Set up a Linux box and learn it. Set up a Windows-XP box and learn it. Make them talk to each other. Set up a render-farm consisting of one computer. Get Blender running on Windows, then get it running on Linux… You don’t have to hop into a telephone booth and come out as Super Geek, but basically, “get enough exposure to Windows, Linux, and OS/X that you lose your sense of alleigance to any one of them and that you feel somewhat-comfortable doing production work on any of them.” If your new supervisor starts babbling Unix at you, you need to know enough about what she’s saying to at least do the bobble-head routine intelligently. :wink: Limiting your education and exposure to “Microsoft Windows only” is no longer good-enough.

As far as duel booting goes I prefer using two hard drives in one box. Works great for the wife and I (although now she uses linux as much as I do now) and it isn’t that expensive to supply another HD.
I must say that Linux isn’t as difficult as it once was. It can be if you want it to be. It is very versitile and has evolved to just about the same level as point and click windows with a few miner problems that are well resolved with the abundance of community help that there is. It also has the capacity to be quite nicely tweaked with the command line interface (spooky but really fun once the terror ebbs away).

I must humbly say that I don’t consider myself to be astute in the arena of computing. I lived off the electric power grid up in the mountains until 1992 and didn’t purchase a computer until 1997. I use Fedora Core and have my computer loaded with some of the best mutlimedia production software there is. I am slowly learning what i need to know to do what I am dreaming of accomplishing. Nontheless I have accomplished quite a bit by way of productivity. I’ve even earned enough through graphics work and multimedia presentations to compensate and more for the investment in time and money that I have made initially.

Blender is the greatest and what you see here on elYsiun is very much the model I have found in many open source linux communities.

I just watched the extras out of DVD (Incredibles), and there is part where a programmer is working on the hair system and some effects, and on the screenshot, when he launched the program and typed in the commands… it sure didn’t look like windows.

it would be actually nice to know more, but they were pretty secret about all that… heh.

.b

rhino has that, the program has a gui, but it has a commandline, doesn’t seem like a program they would use for the incredibles though, maybe it was in-house software.

Edit: Or maybe they still use cg software from the 80’s :o :stuck_out_tongue:

My acquaintances at SONY playstation say they use linux tweaked with a lot of in house software modifications.

A friend working in the game industry and he said big companies are more using Unix environments than windows. Usually they run maya on linux. He also just installed linux because it’s the OS that you need if you want to work on a sony platform.

But the huge majority is still using windows. Cracked software is easier to find for windows… :wink: