Third person TERA style movement system (8 directional)

(Cotaks) #1

Hello,

This movement system is based on the mmo game TERA.
You get the movement system (8 directional) including my keybindings script.

It is all python based.

Controls:
K - open the keybindings menu
WSAD - move
SPACE - jump
mouse - lookaround
scrollwheel - zoom
left shift - run (Tera has no run option but i wanted it)

For more information about the ‘key and mouse bindings’ you can find it here: Key and mouse bindings

I hope you like it, if you do leave a message, Thanks!
Tera movement system.blend (762 KB)

Cotax

Cotaks resources
(nilshaha123) #2

Wow that is really cool. Nice work. Can I make the player blend between the different directions?

(Cotaks) #3
 Can I make the player blend between the different directions

Go to my_functions.py lookup face_direction(): and set turn speed between 0.0-1.0

(nilshaha123) #4

Ok, Thanks!

(Asdfghjkl) #5

Thanks again.

(sdhy) #6

What version of blender was this made in?
It’s having problems on 2.78 for me.
Thanks.

(Cotaks) #7

in version 2.76 i thought it was, but this one should not give any problems, i am still using it myself (adapted version but the base it the same). What problems do you have?

Edit: and what version of blender do you use? it runs fine in 2.78a
Edit2: Runs fine in 2.78c as well

(Nick Manchul) #8

A good example and scripts, thank you! :yes:

Why do you use an additional object for the sensor “ground_chesk” and type - Collision? Is not it easier to create a “Ray” sensor on the player itself, or is it better to transfer it to a script?

Tera movement system-edit.blend (758 KB)

And when running through an external player, the player and camera are shifted to the right - 2.78с

(Cotaks) #9

Why do you use an additional object for the sensor “ground_chesk” and type - Collision? Is not it easier to create a “Ray” sensor on the player itself

Everyone has its own way, but rays cast from origin, so standing on a ledge while the origin is not on it (so 1/3 of the player stands on a edge) the player will stop reacting because the ray wont get into positive state.

another reason, the movement feels heavier this way, while climbing and walking angles.

physics bunny hop problem is solved with the sensor as well look at here:

and here i solved the problem

some like rays, in this case you need rays to be cast from 5 points, center and 4 corners of the player, a sensor well you put it there and it works, not much work and look at tha last movie you see how it reacts to slopes as well, no flying etc just relaxed walking up and down, no bouncing either.

And when running through an external player, the player and camera are shifted to the right - 2.78с

the blend you uploaded has nothing wrong, works as it should here.

but if you got shifting problem i bet you moved the character, the camera is on slow parent, if you move it all cam settings will be off. in order to move em you select the camera empty go to objects tab in properties panel, scroll down to relation extras and turn of slow parent.