This is what Rigging should be - Anzovin

Saw this link on another site… this makes me almost want to switch to Maya (although in the YouTube channel, the President said that they will be looking to port it elsewhere once it hist GA)

Wow. Amen that’s what rigging should be like. Can’t wait to see when it gets beyond Maya. Fingers crossed for SoftImage, or of course for someone to figure out how to do something similar in Blender.

Hang one this is just waight rig… blender have this! Ah i see this is automatic weight painting…

we need this in blender!!!
blender is unusable :frowning:

good grief.

it looks good… but I’m a septic, I’m always careful when I watch a presentation video. There is this magic button that you click once and everything is solved, but when you are working on your character, it doesn’t work as well.

This isn’t the same as automatic weight paint. This is based off of splines. Watch all of the videos to understand how it works.

I have yet to rig a good solder or one as good as I like it to be on a realistic person.
This looks really cool thanks for sharing.

I just wish they had show them raising the elbow above shoulder height. That would have been really interesting to see.

If you go to their youtube page, there are other videos. They do it all with the shoulder.

Really amazing stuff. There’s nothing that I know if in the works for Blender that even compares to this… really top notch work here. When you watch all of the videos, you start to get the full ramifications of what they are doing.

They really make that look clean and simple.
How many animators out there have to change their keyboards now that they’ve drooled all over them?

Ok, so it’s really late, and I’m no expert at rigging. Quite the opposite infact, and I didn’t watch all the videos but I have some queries about this.

It looks really nice. The idea of making a bone chain and having it act like splines looks really fast. But, isn’t there just a way to do this with normal splines. For example if you parent an object to a curve or path in blender, and choose curve deform, it seems to do alot of what is being shown here. You don’t have the simplicity of setting up a bone chain, but can’t we just use segmented b-bone chains to get the same effect?

Also the initial deformations he was getting in the elbow looked good, and tweaking the settings made it better but I think it would still take a fair bit of fiddling to get it perfect. It seems a good starting point but it didn’t bend like a really well rigged elbow. What I mean by that is the way the skin folds on top of itself with a nice sharp crease, and the way the tissue bulges out above and below. So I think alot of tweaking may still be required to get it perfect. Personally I think a low res deformation cage looks better imo.

And the super-duper pose space deformation is just shape driven keys. Yes?

And how does it handle IK, reverse foor rigs etc?

I’m not criticising - it looks good, It’s just to late for me to think straight.

Poser riggers do not have to change their keyboards, they have to get massive hair transplants :D.

Very awesome! Looking forward to where this may bring rigging in the future of CG!

Hi. I’m Tagore Smith, and along with Brian Kendall I developed Anzovin Rig Tools. I came across this thread through Google and wanted to respond to it. What I’m posting here is not Anzovin’s take on things- it is mine alone.

First off, thanks for posting this Mark, and thanks for your comments on our Youtube videos (and for liking all of them :wink: .) And thanks for immediately understanding what we are getting at with these tools. I’ve put a couple of years of my life into this (often very frustrating) project, and I can’t begin to tell you how gratifying it is to hear that you think it “top notch work.”

I’m embarrassed to admit that I am not very familiar with Blender. I was not aware of the curve deform feature in Blender until now, and you sent me off to Google with your comment. What we are doing is very different from Blender’s “curve deform” and is, as far as I can tell, a much more sophisticated technique. You can yank our splines around without regard to axis, and avoid self-intersection until self-intersection becomes better than any other alternative- at which point you will just get self-intersection. And at every step you will make nice fair shapes. Blender’s curve deform seems to introduce ugly shear even in simple cases. You might use it for “a sheet of paper coming out of a printer” but you wouldn’t use it to rig a character.

Well, we don’t want to make riggers obsolete and jobless ;). We just want to remove drudgery from their work and let them focus on the creative aspects of what they do. We also want them to be able to get better results than is practical with traditional skeletal animation, and we want to make really sophisticated rigs run fast enough that an animator can scrub them at 24 fps or more.

No. I’m not sure I’d call our pose-space deformer “super-duper” or anything, but it does do sparse interpolation correctly. There are a lot of things out there that claim to do pose-space deformation, but are actually the same as blend shapes. This doesn’t matter much if you have only one pose, but it’s incredibly important if you have several poses. We aren’t advertising this feature at the moment, but our pose-space deformer is generally useful and could be used for facial animation, because we made sure to do the right thing and make a real pose-space deformer that uses sparse interpolation.

We have implemented our own IK handle. It works fine. It is also a nice general utility to have- riggers could use it for other things, as it uses no Maya magic, unlike the Maya IK handles.

If there’s one thing we want more than anything else it’s criticism. But you really ought to look hard at what we are doing before you criticize. Our deformer is not as simple as you seem to think it. I can pretty much guarantee you that there is nothing else out there that does what our deformer does.

Wow! That really does seem awesome!
And thanks Tagore for posting on this thread. It’s great to get some info straight from the horse’s mouth.

Excellent work! It looks like a cylinder mesh cage that is generated on the fly by bone-splines, bound to the mesh and then updated appropriately as the original splines change. Of course it’s a difficult problem and hats off for making it work so nice. Any plans for blender integration? :slight_smile:

Phew Tagore

Thanks for the reply. So like I said in my original post it was very late and I was rather tired when I posted, so maybe I wasn’t seeing the full potential of the work you guys are doing. I apologise for that, I should know better than to post late at night.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to clarify the questions I had.

Thanks for taking the time to look at the videos and post about them. No need to apologize- we are really very interested in knowing what impression the video gives of ART, and of what people think of it overall. I’m really pleased to have something out there people can see after so long. And it’s hard to get a real sense of the thing without being able to play with it. Videos can only show so much. I’m really looking forward to having it out there so people can use it. We’re certainly hoping that people find it really useful.

Psy-Fi: I’d say that’s pretty perceptive. The devil is in the details here ;). We don’t have firm plans yet about where we might port it after Maya. I know that personally I’d love to see it exist for as many platforms as possible, but there are some practicalities involved.

Anyway thanks again to everyone who took the time to watch the videos.

I like this for 3 reasons:

1. IMO it’s a great tool with lots of potential. I’d use it for sure.
  2. The developers actually seem to care and even land here in the far out CG lands not lurking in the shadow monitoring threads or have a slimey PR guy post about unicorns and honeystreams.

And most important:
3) Good guy Rav Anzovin uses 2 books as Display mount just like us regular guys :smiley: :smiley:

Whoever thought fixed, rigid display mounts are a great idea should take a good look at themselves and at what they’ve done.