Modified files:
blender/source/blender/include editmesh.h
blender/source/blender/src buttons_shading.c drawobject.c
editmesh_lib.c editmesh_tools.c

Log:
Four new extrude possibilities;

• Individual faces
    Keeps Mesh manifold, so removes old faces always. Also uses a
    transform based on different vectors per vertex.

• Only edges
    Just extrudes the edges (not really ‘individual’, the edges still
    share the vertices. Uses same transform as normal extrude for that
    reason

• Only Vertices
    Uses normal transform after extrude

Also changed code a bit, to detect whether to call a normal-based
transform after extrude, or whether to call normal grabber. For example
when you just extrude 1 edge, it uses normal grabber.

Note; extruding an entire sphere goes OK with ‘individual faces’. for
other extrudes you should press ‘s key’ when in transform. Just cannot
predict (yet) when one method has preference over another.

That rocks :o Great job Ton :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ton= :Z

Sounds useful, when will it be in the feature log at blender3d.org?

Kansas, I’m not sure that this needs much explaining.

But it would be nice to see examples of this in action.

Just did a Cygwin-build to try out. Extrude individual faces rocks:) An inset scale-function now and I’m all set;) Vertices and edges don’t extrude along normals, though, which feels weird, but I guess that’ll get fixed.

So you’re saying face-wise instead of extruding the faces of a square and turning it into some wierd circle type thingie like it is now you’ll get six square spikes out of the center?

vetexes and edges don’t have “normals”
only faces can have a shared orienation
unless you mean normal based on the faces surrounding the edges and vertices…

I’ll shut up now

vetexes and edges don’t have “normals”

I know that. Just lacked a better way of putting it.

unless you mean normal based on the faces surrounding the edges and vertices…

Yes, I think you understand me. A vertex “normal” would be an average of the normals of the surrounding faces, I guess. Simply put, I think the vertice should be extruded “straight out” from the surface.

I’m sure someone will understand what I’m getting at %|

But what is “inset scale-function”? How to apply “inset scale” in the following silo tutorial to Blender:

fig 1 and 2 say: extrude along normals on the selected faces, then choose “modify->inset scale”, the faces will be scaled.

http://61.187.55.84/images/upload/2004/10/13/40563346.jpg
http://61.187.55.84/images/upload/2004/10/13/56352778.jpg

I think he meant IF there was an insert scale function, he’d be all set.

But what is “inset scale-function”? How to apply “inset scale” in the following silo tutorial to Blender:

fig 1 and 2 say: extrude along normals on the selected faces, then choose “modify->inset scale”, the faces will be scaled.

Ok. I whipped up some crappy examples in Wings. Now the way it’s done in Wings (and max too for that matter) is that it’s kind of a hybrid extrude/scale command, so it’s a zero extrude, done on an individual face basis, scaled inwards the original face center, to create a border, like in these images.

http://img76.exs.cx/img76/8873/inset1.jpg
http://img76.exs.cx/img76/5125/inset2.jpg
http://img76.exs.cx/img76/2176/inset3.jpg

Now wings doesn’t have a way to apply this to groups of faces (I think), but that seems to be the case in Silo. As for applying that example to Blender, I think you’re gonna run into problems. Normal extrude is no problem, but when you scale those new faces, they’re not gonna follow the surface of the original mesh. Rather it protrudes into the mesh, because a regular scale scales toward the average center of selected faces.

I wrote the first version of individual face extrude, BTW. Full winged-based extrusion stuff is one of my Blender goals. IMO extruding non-winged verts/edges isn’t all that useful.

Ehh. . .that sounds like bragging, doesn’t it. But I did write the first version! Yes. Well, Ton did rewrite it completely. . .I couldn’t modify the dual face-edge function to do this, so I had to write a face-only individual extrude. . .now I think I’ll be trying my hand at winged vertex extrude. . .

joeedh
P.S.: Ton really does deserve most of the credit on this one as he did rewrite the code. But the funtionality was all designed by me! Muahahaha!! Yes, that menu that everyone looovees so much–that was all me. I feel happy :wink: .

now I think I’ll be trying my hand at winged vertex extrude. . .

So, hows about coding in an inset-function in Blender? See where you get for bragging;)

lol, I was planning to do that anyway. Eventually.

joeedh

[quote=“joeedh”]

joeedh[/quote]

Best to learn blender’s source code now to increase the chance someone won’t beat you to it. :wink:

Then I’m good :slight_smile: