This time... Cars with characters! - "COURAGE" by Daniel Vesterbaek

Stunning work !, I´m a huge fan of Senna´s career, such a brave and wonderful man. You did an excellent work my friend.

Really impressive work :open_mouth: Great great :sunglasses:

Nice work!

Was Senna that tiny?

Wow this is great. Also it allowed me to learn more about Senna, who I didn’t know about. According to Wikipedia, his death in 1994 had the largest turnout of mourners in modern history, with over a million people gathering in the streets to pay respects.

3 Likes

Sim, eu tinha dezessete anos e aquele foi um dos dias mais tristes no Brasil. Silêncio em todos os lugares, pessoas cabisbaixas, pessoas chorando, ninguém acreditava. O luto durou dias. Senna foi um dos maiores, talvez o maior piloto de todos os tempos. Ele foi o herói da minha infância e ainda hoje sua lembrança me emociona, como nessa imagem. Lindo trabalho.

1 Like

I started working on it around the 20th of September, but next to the job it was hard to find the time. The final render used all 8 GB of vRam on my gtx 1070 and I had already split the scene up into five render layers to fit it into the memory. Especially the trees were heavy. For some reason hybrid rendering kept failing, maybe because I ran out of system memory when loading all the geometry for the CPU. The render time was well above 8 hours in the end - Supposedly because of the materials which were mostly procedurally generated (with image textures in the mix) in Blender.

Thanks! I’m so glad you like it. I also added a camera operator next to the guys who is very surprised about what happened, hehe

@usernew : Thanks! Yeah, the crowd actually only had a diffuse map - Not even a proper albedo map. Quick and dirty solution.
I still didn’t get a lot of angry emails from F1 fans though, but I am prepared :joy:

@Rixtr Thank you! Appreciate it

Thanks Bart, hehe

@BD3D : Hahah, it’s indeed like magic. Bart good guy!

@flimabotelho : This is so nice to hear. I have gotten some strong connections to a family in Brazil as myself and when I was visiting they made me realize how awesome Senna was and how he was an inspiration for everybody.

@floroj : Thank you man! Yeah, he is really a person worth looking up to.

@MARTS : Thank you!!!

@StagnaroVisuals : Thanks man! And welcome to the forum :blush:

@Esparadrapo : Hahahha, when I read your comment I was like: “Oh shit… I didn’t check his height” He was 1.76 m talk and in the scene he is roughly 1.8. I think his pose makes him look smaller though.

@deltaray : Awesome - glad to hear you got to learn a bit about him. Yeah, I had no idea either. It was a great loss for Brazil and the F1 world. Originally I wanted to render the race where he passed away, but I heard about this event and thought this was one of the things we should remember him for.

@alexandrocastro : Muito obrigado pela sua resposta. Sim, foi muito triste eu acredito. Minha namorada é brasileira também e ela me disse que tinha brinquedos parecidos com ele quando criança. Foi o Pai dela que me contou sobre Senna. Descuple, meu portugues não é muito bom, mas estou praticando.

Now the render is online on Hum3D. I am so excited to see how it goes. Good luck if any of you participates - Let’s make Blender proud, hehe!

3 Likes

People seem to like over at the F1 subreddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/e2dy4s/courage_daniel_vesterbaek/

Yes there are some nitpicking over the details (me included I’ll admit) but overall the F1 fans seem positive and it’s getting a lot of upvotes.

Nice work!

3 Likes

Hehe, yeah, that “feedback” :laughing: Some people just can’t get over the art vs. reality dissonance. It’s a fantastic work, it accentuates humanity and courage, it underlines the drama and emergency, congratulates decisiveness. Just the right amount, IMHO.

Also, welcome to BA!

Yeah It’s not really an art focused community so the comments are naturally going to latch on to the technical details. But I don’t think we’re as bad as some comments here suggested “don’t show it to F1 fans, they are going to hate it” etc haha :grin:

Well, it was my comment, and I meant exactly the kind of comments that are happening there on reddit :smiley: It’s hard not to notice these things, I know.

Damn Daniel

Fantastic work mate!!! Sooo amazing.
The only thing I could argue on is the track :smiley:

As the real action took place at the end of the back straight à Spa. Coming from a let turn and before the bus stop chicane (right left). haha

Again wonderful work!!

Very nice work.
I could see Senna running countless times.
I was watching the race he crashed and died.
Thank you for this tribute.

Beautiful,
i really like the so nice heat distortion in the air and the spinning wheel, the jumping man with the fire extinguisher and the skid marks.
Comas car have just to much scratches.

Hahaha, so this was what you was warning me about… Now I really see it. Seriously, if I had known these things - Like the logo’s not existing in 1992 - and the details about the cars I would have thought about it, I acturally tried to always look at references of his car from 1992, as I knew the newer ones had changes to them, but it was often hard to know which pictures were of which model. Do you know if the car he was using in 1992 was that the MP4/6?

Oh, I’m not that well versed in details, and at that time I was rather young, and didn’t even know what F1 was :slight_smile:

@Sabi_Ukasha: Hahaha… Thanks for the comment :slight_smile:

@ahuri: So cool you saw this post! While working on it, I was thinking about how you would react to it because I am pretty sure you would know all about the details of the image - and the story.
Wooops… at least it was before a right turn that it happened right, hehe? - Not that sharp though. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. :smiley:

@liell: Yeah, it was such a tragic event :frowning: Thanks for commenting.

@rigoletto: Nice to know, I’m so glad you like those parts. The heat distortion was based on the trick showed by CG Geek in this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UacrK-wngw&t=604s
I didn’t render it in camera though, but rendered out the noise textures as a seperate render layer and used the dispacement node and blur nodes in compositing to create the effect from the noise patterns.

1 Like