Thump Stuff (*WIP2 download)

Hi blender people,
This is my BGE work in progress- for the moment I’m calling it Thump Stuff but i guess that could change.
I’m hoping to make it an entry into the bge contest due in march.

The idea is pretty simple, you play a caveman and you have to thump little pre-hisoric critters. A bit like a whack a mole type thing.
Still a lot to do and a lot of things to figure out.

I’ll try to get a playable version up soon.
for the moment here’s some WIP screenshots of the caveman character and a couple of critters.

-pygmies

here’s a playable WIP:

Attachments

Wow, some of the best use of normal maps on organic objects I’ve seen! This looks amazing!

Yea, Very good modeling and texturing. how long have you been using blender?

I wish I could add something new but… wow that is very nice looking!

Cool!!!:cool:

BTW, I think the snouted shing could be a Macrauchenia.:wink:
http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:QP9_6ZCxunYU0M:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/53/Macrauchenia.jpg

You must work with Glenn? Your work is very nice btw, but the spec colour needs to match the characters just a little bit more. They simply need to be weaker, in other words.

peace,
-nick

Some awesome work here buddy. Will be watching this!

Yes, looks great!
Bravo!
But…take care with the number of polys…the GE is quite “sensible” specially in GLSL mode!

The caveman character is “crying” to be animated, I see his funny movements in my mind already;)
Great modelling, but as Oto said, take care with the polys.
Good work!

Bravo! This is looking awesome. Amazing moddeling and texturing. Congratulations!

Cheers

Wilkie

Well spotted! We work 2 chairs apart. We used to make games back with click-n-create :slight_smile:
Avi’s animation is as fantastic as his modelling.

Glenn

Awww shucks Glenn.:o

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

kkewley- been using blender for maybe 3 or 4 months??? Most of that time has been with the game engine although I love all the other stuff it can do. amazing software!

Minifig, I guess that’s what that little snouty thing is. Who would have thought it had a name and everything. Thanks for helping with my research. I also plan on doing a Doedicurus- time permitting.

nick - freaky! how did you know that? Like Glenn says, we’ve been working together for years. He’s a crazy talented guy. He’s been instrumental in getting me into blender and helping me understand its quirky ways.

Oto and Haidme- I suspect you guys are onto something with my polycount overkill on the caveman. I just…couldn’t help it…
it runs ok-ish now but i can imagine once i have an environment in there it may really chug. Don’t really want to but I guess if it is required I will reduce his polycount.

I like that!
I hope there will be more to come soon.

Wowness!! Gret stuff.

this is some of the coolest stuff i’ve seen in the BGE! (sorry glen. haha)

freaky! how did you know that? Like Glenn says, we’ve been working together for years. He’s a crazy talented guy. He’s been instrumental in getting me into blender and helping me understand its quirky ways.

It took me a bit, but I saw how you commented on Glenn’s DukDuk thread, then I noticed a somewhat stark similarity in style with your project. I suspected that you guys probably knew each other and built off artisticly from one another. So, I asked.

He’s been instrumental in getting me into blender and helping me understand its quirky ways.

haha, I’ve tried getting my buddies to try it out, but they can’t get past modeling the snowman. They are all into Photoshop and GIMP. They spend their time making paintbrushes and penguins.

I know Glenn has been a very great reference for my own art, but I can see you will probably be also.

peace,
-nick

Very nice! The caveman especially looks perfect! Very stylized and detailed. The animals do look a bit plastic-ey, especially the orange one. I look forward to seeing these in a game!

Beautiful!

Love your style and your textures rock…Love the hair on the caveman’s forearms!

Must say the Orange critter is my fav…looks real qute…going to be hard to beat him to death…:no:
Just one thing I noticed…but it might be the angle of the shot though!..Is that a Normal map seam on his front leg?..might want to stick those seams at the back of the legs…If you baked them in Blender…Turning the magin to about 5 also helps hide those Normal map seems…:wink:

Once again…great work…BTW…would love to see some wire shots…what is your poly count at the moment?

Cheers!

Well, I just submitted thump stuff to the official thread so I guess I’m in the running!
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1333814#post1333814

Been doing little bits and pieces trying to keep things moving and turn this into an actual game. Still HEAPS to do. Who would have thought this stuff would take so much time? Crazy.

I’ve blocked in an environment and the framework for things like opening menus, titles and briefing screens. I reduced the caveman’s polycount by about a third and got the framerate up to an acceptable amount. I’ve also hooked up time, score and critter counters. Lots of rough stuff in there and lots I haven’t even started. Hopefully 5 weeks will be enough to get this thing done.

Here’s a video of where things are at:

-p

Attachments

Wow! It looks really good in motion.