TIE fighter

This is really part of another project, the trench run animation. But making the TIEs look right has proved harder than I first thought, so I’ll post the completed one here.

No doubt this has been done hundreds of times… ah, well.

http://rendermonitor.no-ip.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20

There are lots of little details that I’m not entirely happy with, but I decided that if I fixed them all I’d spend weeks on it, and not get anywhere with the real buisness at hand, the trench animation (see works in progress). Still, TIEs are meant to look cheap and mass-produced, and motion blur will hide any errors…

Tell me what you think !

It looks kinda… lumpy.

that bumpmaps a little…harsh…isn’t it?
nice modelling though, can’t wait to see it animated :slight_smile:

Piran

no don’t bump map it or texture it.

i came up to the same problem a while ago when doing my starwars animations.

if having the model as your own work is important then ignor the next bit.

-----> i downloaded a tie model as well as a hanger model from www.jrbassett.com

this model was great all i needed to do was convert it to dxf using the demo version of deep explorer and change a few colours on it also set smooth the hatch and cockpit.

no texture at all only colour and specularity.

this is my gallery with some movies and pics (i haven’t done a trench run though) look at the circular tie ship as you will then see that it is all flat colour and polygons.

if you want the blend file of a pre converted mesh go to blenderwars.com or PM me and i’ll work it out.

if you want to model it yourself then have fun and keep it up!!!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Valarking wrote :

It looks kinda… lumpy.

So it should. I spent a surprising amount of time getting that lumpy (couldn’t you have said bumpy ?) look. You make it sound like a bad thing !

saint_pill wrote :

that bumpmaps a little…harsh…isn’t it?

Well, yes, but this is due to me having only just discovered the bumpmapping feature. :slight_smile: I tried lowering the NOR slider (to zero), but to be honest, it really doesn’t make much difference.

alltaken wrote :

no don’t bump map it or texture it.

That’s crazy ! After all the time I spent getting the texture and bumpmaps right, you want me to get rid of them ??? Aaaaaarrrgghhh !!!

Granted, those models look good. But I was after the cheap, mass-produced look, and the models at the site look too smooth and well crafted.

this is my gallery with some movies and pics

Where is the link ?

Granted, those models look good. But I was after the cheap, mass-produced look, and the models at the site look too smooth and well crafted.

Quote:

this is my gallery with some movies and pics

Where is the link ?

sorry thought i put it in
he he he

http://www.dm7.net/gallery2/gallery/doug

cheep and nasty you say
THANK ME LATER

http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/scifi.asp

down the bottom under dxf you will find them

or alternativly start the download from here (i think it will work)
http://www.3dcafe.com/models/tie-f-.exe

this is truly nasty at look at the pic

there you go!!!

now that should fit you nasty ideal and your cheap requirement
as well as being very low poly

AND IT DON’T NEED BUMPS ON IT!!!

have fun

Really nice models alltaken ! I especially like the Jedi ship.

Nasty ? I didn’t say anything about it being nasty (though TIE fighters are inherently nasty by their very nature). I said cheap and mass-produced.

this is truly nasty at look at the pic

I’m afraid I need a magnifying glass - can you post something bigger please ?

hehe, yeah i remember my first experiments with the NOR slider :wink:

Definately texture it, its looking good but no bump? How does that look, could be cool

cheers
Piran

I’m afraid I need a magnifying glass - can you post something bigger please ?

ha ha ha
that was the biggest pic they had of it.

just download the file cause its not very big. (probably smaller than a bigger pic in file size)

ok you didn’t say nasty but it is very cheap and mass produced looking.

so stop whining and take a look at it :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

have fun with the nor button!!!
but not on a tie fighter.

Well, I FINALLY downloaded the model you suggested, alltaken…

It looks boring without textures and bumpmaps !

Just get rid of the bumps. Use a spec map instead. If you want bumps on something like that, it would be to mimic seams or rivets on the hull. Maybe an occasional hole or crack.