Tile Render addon available for Blender

Here is the mostly finished addon Tile Render. Available for Blender 2.79 and 2.8+.

Tile Render

Tile Render_2.79.py (11.6 KB)
Tile Render_2.8+.py (11.3 KB)

Tile Render allows you to render a single frame in a grid of multiple images. This is great if you have a cheesy laptop and you want to render something over the course of a week instead of 24 straight hours. You can then combine them in another piece of software such as GIMP or Photoshop.
You can setup a grid with 1-10,000 tiles. Though I’m not responsible if your combining software doesn’t know how to handle 10,000 layers. :rofl:
Just like an animation, all images will be automatically saved to the Output location.
Output location

If you have any bug reports or suggestions, please leave a comment here!

6 Likes

Great addon :slight_smile: Thanks for that … works still in official 3.64 :slight_smile:

… any reason Why it is not working for Eevee?

… I mean it renders tiles, but only for render total size of max pixels that my machine is able to handle without tilling.

… because Eevee doesn’t supports tiling? If so, then I’m in a trap now (since I need to use Eevee for some shader specifications.)

Thanks for more info.

Rendering in Eevee works fine for me (version 3.4.1).

The primary purpose of this addon is to allow you to render in sections over a large period of time (i.e. you can do work in between rendering tiles if needed) or to reduce the memory used. It doesn’t reduce the memory drastically, but it still reduces it a far amount.

Rendering the default scene uses 81-82MB of memory if you render the whole scene at once. Using the addon, however, it only uses 53MB to render one tile (for a 3x3 grid).

1 Like

OK :slight_smile: Thank you for the explanation … I hoped in more memory saver, since I needed to render 40K res (that my Mac is not able to handle at once in Eevee) …

… in the meantime I used addon “Super Resolution Render”, but it has its glitches (missing parts of shadows at a tile edge areas, that was an issue for eevee in early days).

Ah, I see.
Yeah I don’t have the python expertise to create a script that reduces the memory usage any less than 60% of the original (which is all this addon is really capable of).

1 Like