Time Device

Hello,
I am working on a game prop, mainly for learning purposes, and need some feedback! This prop would be held in a first person camera so I wanted the level of detail to be pretty high.

I produced the high poly model and from that a low poly model as well as a normal map. I’m currently in the process of texturing it.

Hope you guys like it.
Feedback welcome!

Attachments

It looks like the normal texture is baked out pretty good. for the further texturing, you maybe also bake out the Ambient Occlusion (increase samples to atleast 20 in the world settings before baking!) and maybe also the Displacement and the Texture (just for the raw color layout).
What software are you going to use for the texturing part?

I discovered the exploding method for normal mapping and it was a revelation. Finally I could get good results with normal maps!

I did bake an ambient occlusion map, but it was quite noisy. I’ll have to try out increasing the samples.

I’ve never really used displacement maps. Are they useful for texturing? For the texture bake, isn’t that essentially the same as unwrapping the object and using the texture paint mode? (I used the texture paint mode to colour the main components and then saved the texture out and edited in Photoshop)

I’m trying to get a brass metal effect on the cynlidrical components but I’m having a hard time :stuck_out_tongue: I’m not sure how to get the metallic look in 3D because painting reflections or light variation seems like it would make it look fake in an fps environment where the player would see props in many orientations.

I’m not aiming for perfect realism but somewhere in between.

Do you think getting that brass look hinges more on a well painted diffuse texture or is it more of a reflection/shader trick?

As for what software I’m using, I use Photoshop.

Those coils look very nice. If the model isn’t going to moving and is far enough away from the actor, you could get away with painting on highlights, but for good detail I’d say use a crude reflection map. Doesn’t even have to be the reflection of the actual surroundings. Just has to move when the actor does. Make the brass kinda dirty and that will make it impossible to tell if its an actual reflection or a fake one.

I’ve never really used displacement maps. Are they useful for texturing? For the texture bake, isn’t that essentially the same as unwrapping the object and using the texture paint mode?

Well Displacement is not always useful but sometimes it can be used as a layer with some random blend mode (like substract, division, aso) at a low level. But most of the time they are pretty uselsess yes :-).
Well and Texture bake is pretty interesting.
In blender you can give each face of the mesh another material which means you can setup generated textures or just diffuse color or even another Texture on a diffrent UV.
Instead of painting each part into 1 color you could just built 1 material for each color and apply it to the faces where you wanted it. This way you get a very clean result (so you dont paint over other parts by accident, like you did on some areas.)
You can also use your current texture, with the brushed metal part on the top(copper?!) and enable normal at a low value (whithout Mapping to normal) so this way it gets a bit of a bump. And when you then Bake the normals again you will see that he is not only re-baking the normals you already use for your model, it also bakes the bump details. This way you dont have to use a parallax shader (which is a combination of normal map and bump map), because parallax shaders are a performance killer :-).

And now for the metal look in games. First take your base Diffuse Color Texture. Now you need 2 Layers.
1 Layer for a Dirt Texture (greyscale random stuff. maybe bake a generated cloud texture on a plane and adjust the levels so it’s not a strong contracts between the bright and dark parts.) So this Layer with mutiply to your Color Texture (not 100% but maybe 30-50%)
and a 2nd Layer with scratches. Just take the pen with and turn it down to the smallest size and use a white color. now paint some scratches here and there (especially on sharp edges of the actual object)
If you think everything looks fine you can save the image.
Now Take the 2 Layers you just created. Use the Dirt Texture as Background (maybe the ambient occlusion as multiply at a lower level like 20-50%) and the Scratches as Overlay. These 3 textures combined can be used as “Specular Color Texture”. so the dirt should be at a dark grey and the scratches pretty close to a perfect white.
As already mentioned, you can also use a Reflection map. But it it really depends on what you want it to look like :-).
Good luck with that one.

Thanks. The coils are actually a photograph I modified. It need a little more tweaking to remove some of the lighting information but i think the colour works.

Thanks Cerfribar, I understand now. Also I didn’t think of using the texture as an extra normal map detailing method! Will have to try it at some point.

Thanks for the mini tutorial! That can definitely gets me started! I’ll have to experient combining that with a reflection map.