Time for a new Blender PC build here, seeking advice

Okay friends, based on what I’m reading I’m thinking this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/txwnbK

This assumes I can find DVI → Display Port adapters for my two Dell monitors.

Am I shooting myself in the foot if I go with the simpler CPU cooler?

Also I’m just adding the one SSD. I’ve got several HDs laying around, they would just be for local file storage. (Ive got a NAS server for big storage.) The SSD is for system/apps. Is this a bad idea? Would a second SSD be helpful for the page file, or do I even need to worry about a page file with 128GB ram?

Again, I’m principally concerned with better performance with simulation, sculpting and render speed. I don’t do architecture or big scenes, I’m mostly into character animation related stuff. There will be some lip synch (so sound ability matters) and compositing later.

Whichever way I go, I’m thinking I’ll notice a significant difference from my current setup with an ASUS P9X79 PRO, i7 3930K, 64GB DDR3 ram and a GeForce GTX 670. The machine was built in 2012. My farm machines are all basically life support systems for GTX 1660s.

Thank you friends!

The problems is that modern graphic processors are not only fast because the have multiple specialized compute units but also because the VRAM is (by much) faster than usual system RAM… that’s also a reason why they are so un-cheap…
There is also a reason why faster CPU are recomended for better graphics cards… because they feet the graphics card with the data… the time when the GPU is just boring system RAM is… long gone… because the GPU would mostly wait for the data instead of doing something…

Also system RAM is 64 bit… VRAM is upt to 384 bit…

Given your budget, and plans for simulation, I’d recommend going the liquid cooling route. You can afford it, and you’re going to be running your CPU fast and hot.

I’d get 2 SSDs. It’s always good to have more than one, in case one of them fails. When you’re already spending 4100, you won’t even notice another 99, but you’ll be glad to have the extra storage.

P.S. If you get Corsair Vengeance DDR4 instead of DDR5, you’ll save 330 dollars for the same amount of RAM. With that, you could get a liquid cooling system and another few SSDs and not even increase your price. I really doubt you actually need DDR5, unless you want it of course :slight_smile:

P.P.S. Don’t forget about a case! For the 4090, you’re going to want to go full ATX. Personally, I recommend the Be Quiet! Pure Base 600: https://www.newegg.com/black-be-quiet-pure-base-atx-mid-tower/p/2AM-0037-00028

It’s solid steel, weighs more than a large dog, and extremely quiet; again, thinking about high-intensity simulations, you’ll probably be glad to have a case that masks the sound of a airplane taking off a few feet from your head :wink:

Thank you joseph, that’s good advice.

I’m now at 4.5K for https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dMgx78 and it seems like a good machine.

There might be some extra money spent for case fans, etc.

Looks good to me :slight_smile:

She tuned me into a newt!

I think @joseph meant it like this, but if you plan something like this, be aware that even if a CPU does support that, you’d need another mainboard. More than one RAM gen is normally never supported by a mainboard.

1 Like

…but you got better… :grin:

Debuk, thank you for the advice; no worries, I’m going with the DDR5 specified in the build. It’s showing no conflicts, which makes me very happy.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. As soon as you start to mix in system RAM, which then also involves the CPU to ‘manage’ it, even if the CPU isn’t actually doing any rendering, things are likely to slow down a lot. I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t end up being fairly borderline to the point that just CPU rendering would be better, unless one had a really low core/slow CPU, vs a fast GPU.

Almost no matter what you get, you are going to see a MASSIVE difference in Cycles rendering just getting a RTX based card.

Warning, shameless plug incoming…
I went from a GTX 1070 Ti to a RTX 3080 Ti and it’s night and day difference in rendering speed, just the artistic difference that makes in doing quick previews alone will change your world. Here’s my video on just how much faster things can be.

Keep in mind, the 4090 will be TWICE as fast as the results I show for the 3080 Ti.

1 Like

Hey thetony20, thanks for your videos. I really enjoyed your Technical Overview of baking normals and displacements.

Your youtube series is very valuable, please keep it up!

You’re getting me excited about my new build. Cheers!

Wow!

I never thought I would see that phrase in this forum.

I’m happily rendering (Eevee) with an i5 and no external GPU.

Heck, I’m pretty sure I’m running 64G of DDR3 (wrong, it’s DDR4) with my i7/13700. Not aware of any lag or sluggish behavior at all.

1 Like

Afaik a 13th gen CPU does not support DDR3 at all, just DDR4 and DDR5.

If its about DDR4 or DDR5, there is quite an increased overall transfer speed and lower latency, sure wont you notice lags or something like that, but if you put 2 machines aside you’ll notice a quite measurable speed difference which may be quickly around 10% depending on the specific workload.

So, decided one of us was crazy. Just opened the side of my case, and looked at the very tiny print on the chips.

I’m the crazy one, it’s DDR4. :wink:

(I think I got mixed up, as when I bought the MB I was debating “keep old ram, or get that new speedy stuff”, and somehow thought the “old stuff” was DDR3.)

1 Like

Thanks for the double checking, yeah it were too many years between 3 and 5. :smile:

1 Like

Well, it is designed to be a real-time renderer, so one would somewhat expect the iGPU to do OK.

Having said that, have you tried downloading the Charged splash screen and giving that a render? it uses Eevee by default.

No, but I might someday.

I’ve only stressed out my system once recently, on a 33 second animation with 11 rigged and animated characters (Eevee, 4 samples).

I only have 8 Gigs of RAM - and Windows Task Manager showed 94% total RAM used during renders. :worried: Yikes. I know that $30 or $40 would solve that problem, just haven’t gotten around to it.

Ahh, maybe best not to try Charged then, it used up around 24GB of RAM and took a few mins when I rendered it. Possible that isn’t normal, but all I did was download and render.

It was the first time I thought I am going to have to consider 64GB of RAM when I next update my system.