Time for a new Blender PC build here, seeking advice

Okay, blender benchmark on the RTX 4090:

monster: 6513.980431
junkshop: 3060.673928
classroom: 3154.135176

1 Like

Looks about right, over double the speed of my 3080 Ti, which the 4090 is.

Current value in database is 13146.96 which should include overclocked ones so i would say your value of >12700 is okay.

Cinebench results:
CPU multi core 37608
CPU single core 2238
MP Ratio 16.80 x

Sorry, is that CPU or GPU?

I’m still not very comfortable with these temps.

That’s around the CB23 scores I would expect for the 13900K and yes it will hit 100C doing that.
So I think the cooler is installed right, pump running, fans may not be at max or really ramping up, depends on how much you can hear them, but even if they are at max RPM, the CPU would still hit 100C, just your score would be a bit higher.

That would be for the 4090, so its in the ballpark, nothing that screams something is very wrong and it’s likely fairly cool.

That’s going to take some internet/youtube reading, ideally specific to the motherboard you have, so you can start to find out exactly which BIOS settings you can tweak to bring temps on the CPU down, while having little impact on performance, but the multi core and single core of CB23, which is a great test for stress and performance.

The gentleman in the video sort of implies that there isn’t a cooler on earth that will keep the 13900K from hitting the max. Whoa.

I’ll have to look into ways of keeping the temps down in the bios then, it seems?

Much appreciation for everyone’s help.

In HWINFO you can check the maximum temperature achieved for the 4090.
It should be registered into the maximum column.
Note that if you will be Blender rendering with GPU as you should you will likely never push the CPU if you don’t have other application that need full CPU power.

Blender Cycles Database

Note that if you will be Blender rendering with GPU as you should you will likely never push the CPU

So no CPU/GPU render both at the same time anymore? I did a quick test and the render was definitely faster with the CPU included. So it would seem that using both would be faster for rendering. Please correct me here if my thinking is wrong…don’t I want to use both, as long as I can get these temps down?

If you found CPU+GPU faster that is a novelty and not what we have known to be usual which is the GPU alone is faster.

Be careful that for testing between CPU and GPU you need to restart Blender since the second render will always be faster than the first one since stuff would be already in memory.

It goes against my every instinct, but it seems to be correct: the renders are faster with just the GPU in my tests so far.

I found where I could limit the CPU temp in the bios; funny how it allows 100c when it’s set to AUTO. I changed it to 90 and sure enough it doesn’t go above 90 now. Please tell me if I’m crazy. Is 90 low enough? Or should I just let it throttle at 100 like the MOBO allows?

100 is way too hot. I’d cap it at 85 personally

1 Like

Thanks. 85 it is. I’m not using the CPU to render now either.

1 Like

Cinebench with my CPU limited to 85c:

CPU multi core 36124
CPU single core 2233
MP Ratio 16.17 x

1 Like

Hurts multi core a bit, but chances are you won’t be pushing all core to max very often at all, so likely won’t matter.

More important is that single core is the same and that will help Blender more then anything.

I have seen geometry nodes setups push every CPU thread to the max a lot lately even without the 3.6 simulation nodes update.

hmm, really? Must be a pretty big and multi facet node setup to not have most of the processing in serial.

Care to share or got a link to an example, would love to check it out.

The one I am currently working on is not that large, rather medium sized. Unfortunately it is under NDA. I can see if I can strip it down this evening and post it.

1. GPU - get the most Cuda cores and Vram (8+) you can afford
  2. STORAGE - 2x m.2 drives … one for OS and programs one for cashe and projects… fastest you can afford
  3. RAM - 32 gig+ min … fastest you can afford
  4. CPU fastest single thread speed you can afford for simulations and physics
  5. GL HF

these are in order of essential buying budgets from my experience dude but if you specialize in a certain field its needing tweeked

Why wouldn’t you use an ultrawide curved monitor for 3d? I have a Dell U3415W ultrawide and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Granted, I’ve searched for one with a low curvature, but still…