Time for end of Elysiun

Isn’t it time to move the Elysiun forum to blender.org and stop with elysiun.com?

I mean, you can hardly call this a website.
The latest special is from 26 December 2002
The tutorials? Ha!
The galleries has a total new defenition of ‘soon’ in “This section will be back soon”

Lets face it. Everybody is better of (programmers and users) with a 1 stop blender forum at blender.org.

-Joeri
(ps. had to register to add this comment)

This is an indepedent website.

Do you think all of the people who’ve written tutorials should get off of their high horses and submit them to blender3d.org instead of making websites too?

Umm, have you even read anything here ? You can’t expect to tell us in your FIRST POST to abandon the forum and not be laughed at.

I don’t know, elYsiun will probably fall to pieces now. Nobody really thought about it until he pointed it out, now that all of the pieces are falling together elYsiun, and indeed my life, seems pointless.

Just wait a bit and Elysiun will get a totally new facelift :slight_smile:

Timothy are working on it…he just need the time…

Actually I was too harsh. If you don’t look at the forum it is easy to see a wesbite that hasn’t changed much for a while, but you get links in the forum to new things which are being updated.

1. The specials - we now have a blenderman.org magazine
  2. There’s a big list of tutorials in the Blender General section
  3. The blender3d.org gallery is updated, and there’s also http://centralsource.com/blenderart/
    Admittedly it would be nice if it didn’t say “soon” in the elysiun gallery page. :slight_smile:

“whatever”'s post seems very much like the words of somebody who just doesnt know the meaning of “community”.

most often communities form around the hard work of other people and thus showing their appreciation to this work. of course blender.org seems like the right place to go, but putting everything together will decrease creativity and flexibility.

btw, have you ever thought of websites based on other languages. would you also include them in blender.org just to have them centralized. centralization is for lazy guys how dont want to search around a little bit to really get involved in something.

free services are never served on silver plates.

I do not understand what qualifies Joeri to be worth listening to.

I don’t know why all the fuss…
Everyone goes on Elysiun.

They have announced changes.
they have been good all the past years.
took over the blender community when Blender Had problems.

Timothy and the team did hard work

Give them a break.
Changing a site is simple on the paper but harder when it comes
to satisfying a community that have habits.

If you still come here, it means you have not found better elsewhere

If it’s just a question of hosting the site, we can do it.

But for the rest, I trust them.

-Patrick-

What a moron!! (no offense intended…)

What are his brilliantly laid-out reasons to move the forums?

1. the Specials are not updated.
    Bugger-all to do with Forums of course…
  2. the Gallery is obsolete
    Bugger all to do with Forums of course…
  3. The tutorials are lacking
    Bugger all to do with Forums of course…

… and of course, there is the fact that he had to log in to be able to post! The shock! The horror of it! Won’t anyone think of the children!

Now, Elysiun has a vibrant forum community (I should know, I spend most of my time here…) Yeah, the rest of the site could use an update. But then, if you don’t like the rest of the site, put a link directly to the forums in your favorites (this will save you one whole click everytime you come here!!). You will lose nothing, 'cause if Timothy ever comes around to redoing the site, I can guarantee you that you will read it…yes, in the forums.

Now, I would normally not react to pure flame-bait like this.
I only post this because I want to show my appreciation to Timothy for all the work he has done for the community.

If this is the Joeri I expect it is, he has been around the Blender Community for a long time. Well before Elysiun came along. Elysiun came along when the Blender.com site was in limbo. Yes, the Elysiun site could use some updating, but it isn’t being run for profit and I don’t know if the Blender.org site could handle the extra cost and responsibilities for the bandwidth and monitoring.

and if I am right, Joeri is one of the old NaN’ers :wink: who made most of the content and demo graphics on the old site blender.nl , which is no longer :frowning:

Nice to hear from you again Joeri. As direct as always I see.

Martin

This site has had very little in the way of being updated outside the forum area. But there is a big update planned for the site which will bring back things such as the gallery.

I seem to recall that this has been mentioned herin somewhere, that they could not take the extra work put in by elysiun gurus, I might be misstaken though.

/x

hihi, maybe we should make some specials, but no, I like elysiun.
It’s my choice over gctalk.

Hi Joeri. Long time no read.
Yes, the front end here hasn’t been updated in a long time, but I think most of us just skip it and head right for the forums. Not that it shouldn’t be addressed of course. I do visit the other sites as well though. The more the merrier I say.

Thinking the questions are not retoracle I came up with this:

shbaz:
>This is an indepedent website.
>Do you think all of the people who’ve written tutorials should get off of their high horses and submit them to >blender3d.org instead of making websites too?

for short : No.
bit longer: How does this relate to elysiun? It’s a collection of other peoples tutorials. Not Timys own.

Rhysy 2:
>Umm, have you even read anything here ? You can’t expect to tell us in your FIRST POST to abandon the forum and not be laughed at.

sorry 'bout that. I don’t see how a post number has anything to do with the content of it.
I don’t mind being laughed at by te way.

AN][ARES:
>btw, have you ever thought of websites based on other languages. would you also include them in blender.org just to have them centralized. centralization is for lazy guys how dont want to search around a little bit to really get involved in something.

Elysiun is multi-langual?

nico:
>I do not understand what qualifies Joeri to be worth listening to.

Good point. But, i think you should judge the content, not the writer.

UglyMike:
> What are his brilliantly laid-out reasons to move the forums?

Not true. I did not explain my motives to move the forum.
I stated why I find Elysiun an outdated website.

ztonzy:
>and if I am right, Joeri is one of the old NaN’ers who made most of the content and demo graphics on the old site blender.nl , which is no longer

Partly right. I’m the Joeri who co-owned NeoGeo, cradle of blender. And later joined Ton (my best man) At Nan.

theeth:
>Nice to hear from you again Joeri. As direct as always I see.

Hi Martin, sorry 'bout that.

Kansas_15:
>But there is a big update planned for the site which will bring back things such as the gallery.

Good news, that does not change my opinion that artists questions should be answerd at blender.org

rwv01:
>Hi Joeri. Long time no read.
but I think most of us just skip it and head right for the forums. Not that it shouldn’t be addressed of course.
>I do visit the other sites as well though. The more the merrier I say.

Hi, If it’s just skipping right ahead to the forums then I don’t see why it can’t be at blender.org

No, but it used to. There are, however, a lot of other community sites (Caronte’s spanish site, the italian community site, the french community newsgroup, …).

It’s pretty much agreed with everyone (in the blender website team and dev teams) that it should be made MUCH clearer that the forums over at blender.org are for dev discussions with clearer links to the communities websites (the links are on blender3d.org though)

No need to apologize.

You’re gonna be around for Blender Conf this year?

Martin

No, no no and again NO!!!. I was for a couple of months on blender.org forums, but it isn’t as cool as elysiun forums. Down here why.

Elysiun:

• community for artists or coders creating artworks for blender, and talk to another users to know them.
  • ask questions about blender
  • ask questions about how to code things or feature request.
  • bug report
  • more blender code based

I’ll hope lysiun won’t die, btw the reason why people arn’t updating the frontpage is because they are working on another design. And known of my webdesign I like more to work on the new design then update the older one. But when the new design is finished I think we’ll see moe ofthen updates. :smiley: