"Time IPO" in 2.8?

blender2-80

(sundialsvc4) #1

Simple question – “I want time to run more slowly, without changing anything else about the very complex animation that is being played.” This used to be done with the “Time IPO curve,” but please re-remind me how it’s done in 2.8?

I’m linking to a fully-animated [machine] object, and setting up (in scenes in another file) close-up shots in which for clarity the animation must run much more slowly, and maybe even pause, go backward, and continue. The IPO that I refer to could easily do all of that.

try decrising the frame rate (just dont go below 24 fps)

(checked dosent work,sorry cant help you)

(Hadriscus) #3

You might want to use NLA, make a strip of your action and stretch it.

(zeauro) #4

There is no more IPO curves since 2.5x series. Time IPO became obsolete at that moment.
I don’t know what is your reference but you should abandon it for more recent ones.

To slow down an animation, you just need to use an action strip and scale in NLA editor.

(sundialsvc4) #5

“Rats!” What a perfectly-good feature it was!

The feature of which I speak was a truly global curve which allowed you to adjust both the rate of “time” and to adjust it both forward and backwards. (Is anyone here old enough to remember the “Chow Chow Chow” commercials once put out by Purina Cat Chow? Ahem…)

Specifically, this IPO allowed you to control “animation time” versus the ever-steady forward progress of “frames.” Everything in the entire animation was subject to it.

In this particular situation, this is exactly what I would now like to do: to display the animation at normal speed, then slow it way down, then pause it, then maybe cycle it forwards and backwards, then resume speed. To me, that’s simply the most-intuitive way for me to express what I would now like to do.

But, yes, I can probably get this done well enough with NLA strip scaling. Thanks, folks.

(yogyog) #6

You can do that backward-forward using the graph editor to control global time with the Speed Control effect on a scene in the VSE.

(sundialsvc4) #7

Well, no, I’m not at the “VSE” point yet – I’m trying to render the machine in slow motion, and I might even wish to show it stopping and then even running backwards and forwards at various illustrative speeds.

The IPO-curve of which I speak was ideally suited for this – “0.0” was “the beginning of time,” and “1.0” was “the end of time,” and you could thus very easily achieve the effects that I describe. I’m dismayed to learn that it is gone, and I wonder why, and of course I want to be really sure that it actually is.

Yes, I acknowledge that the concept is somewhat primitive, and I will readily agree that NLA’s would probably give me more control. So, links to tutorials and further info are requested. My goal is to show the machine turning, then slowing down, then pausing, then sometimes backing up, pausing again, moving forward very slowly, and so on. All without doing a single damm thing … :smiley: … to my precious model. (Which is actually entirely controlled by a single Empty object, appropriately called “TurnMe.”)

(yogyog) #8

Everything you are describing can be done with the VSE without
an additional render. You can put a scene in the VSE and to TimeControl stuff to the scene. I THINK it even tweens between frames of your scene as well.