Time-Lapse of Traditional Animation

This is a time-lapse of my first attempt at traditional animation, done with the open-source Pencil.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Xlyu9ZczY

Way cool program. Your animation looks pretty nice as well! Thanks for bringing this up!

really nice! One thing though - you’re working ahead. Traditional animation is often done by creating the key-frames or extremes and then filling in the in-betweens. Having said that, working ahead (drawing frame 1, then 2, then 3 etc) is fine.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Traditional animation is often done by creating the key-frames or extremes and then filling in the in-betweens.

Really? It seems that would be awfully confusing, but maybe it’s just because I haven’t tried it…

I’ve tried it a little… man it’s hard lol.

There’s a few different ways that some animators work… Most block in the action, then do the keys in between those, then do the inbetweens. Some people just define the start and end points and do it “straight ahead”, but it’s really only a method old-timers use who are extremely confident about what they’re doing.

Your animation is a very good first hand drawn animation. I’ll recommend that you check out some animation books, including Richard Williams’ “Animator’s Survival Kit”, tho that book in particular you should read front to back, not skipping to the diagrams. There’s a hell of a lot of theory.

Do some bouncing balls and s-curve practice stuff. They are fun and you learn a ton from them :smiley:

Your animation is a very good first hand drawn animation. I’ll recommend that you check out some animation books, including Richard Williams’ “Animator’s Survival Kit”, tho that book in particular you should read front to back, not skipping to the diagrams. There’s a hell of a lot of theory.

Thanks! I definitely want to get my hands on that book; Bassam recommended it too. I also want to get Disney’s The Illusion of Life.