timeline animation in Game Engine

Hi All

I have made an architectural spinning animation - the camera moves around the house.

I simply press Alt - A to make it start.

I was curious about what happens when I save it as a game / self player and noticed that when I hit P to start the game engine nothing happens first and than I see graphical artifacts and nothing moves.

I attached a screenshot here. You can see the Game engine middle and the camera animation left and the scene right.

Any tip what is happening?

Attachments

you need to assign the IPO of the camera’s movement to a controller. All the white you are seeing is probably because you don’t have uv textures assigned. So there’s a little bit of extra work you have to do to get your fly through to work in BGE.

Hello
well, you must add a IPO Actuator probably?!
Select your camera, then add in the Logic window:
Always Sensor ( or keyboard?) -> AND -> IPO Actuator - Set the “Sta:” and “End:” with values (in frames) that match those of the Camera animation
It should work now…I hope
About the “white objects”…that means that you haven’t assigned UV textures to your object(s)
I can’t read well but I guess that you’ve some “indecent” numbers in the top bar…200 000?
Well, with such amount of polys, it’s better to use “Texture Face Materials” in the “Game Menu”
Then select all your objects, join them, press V key, In the Paint menu ( icons bar) choose “Set Shaded Vertex Colors”.
Your object have now some “shading”, you can delete the lights now!
If the object its too dark repeat the procedure with more light power!
Bye

Have you tried glsl?
It seems like you have a uv-map without a texture…
Could you attach a .blend perhaps?

I thought it might be something simple and logical.

here is a link to the file:
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/239525/Model v12.zip

I am on the road and cannot check what I did but I know
I did not create any thing for the logic board yet.
Was not aware that I need to do that.

That link gave me a 404 error.:frowning:

its because the link got cut off because of the spaces :spin:

lol

it is:
as a full link.

I have few questions left:

I figured out to animate few objects moving in the time line.

How do you:

Animate a light moving a long a path.
assigning an ipo to the path or lamp did not do anything.
The lamp actually jumped always to the world center.

Animate the energy and color of a light changing.
Also here the ipo did not affect anything.

I assume realtime reflections are not possible so you have to
do an env map trick?

we have mirrors so we have reflections

@cekuhnen:

For your light:

A few BlenderArtists got annoyed at the fact that paths don’t work in the game engine so we hacked together a solution:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83942

This will ‘bake’ a path animation to an Ipo. The Ipo can be used in the game engine by attaching the Ipo data block to an object and using an Ipo actuator in the logic bricks and setting it to play, loop stop or loop end depending on the behaviour that you want.

The scripts posted towards the end of the thread, particularly the version by sanne, are very useful.

I’ve since found a couple of bugs but not yet changed the script. These bugs are relatively minor and only really apply when the Ipo is to be repeated precisely. They can also be corrected by manually editing the generated Ipo curves.

One bug is that the Ipo starts on frame 0 rather than frame 1 (if memory serves me correctly) so the Ipo curves need to be selected and shifted 1 frame to the right.
Another is that the first frame needs to be duplicated and added to the end to enable proper looping without a jerk because of the missing frame.
The final bug occurs only when partial frames are used (using the frame property) and is due to the flipping of Euler rotation curves. This final bug can be fixed with an Ipo cleaner script or by manually selecting the offending points on the curve and translating them on the y axis in the Ipo curve editor by 36 units(360 degrees).

[Edit]
Not sure if you know this, but it’s worth noting that only spot lights will cast realtime shadows in the game engine (GLSL mode). It might be possible to achieve interesting results by baking the shadows of all static lights to textures and having your movable light a spot light with a wide range.
[/Edit]

For reflections:

This is possible using the videotexture feature for animated reflection on near-planar surfaces (Mirrors, water etc.). There are several tutorials about.

Alternatively, if you have complex objects that require reflection, martinsh wrote a GLSL shader that can apply an environment map to static objects as reflection. This can be found in the game engine forums somewhere.

Unfortunately, animated reflections on complex objects are tricky (impossible?) to achieve right now because the game engine is incapable of rendering an environment map from one camera whilst rendering a standard screen view from another camera. Environment map rendering is possible but is in the game framing settings menu that are global and affect all cameras in a scene.

General use of Ipos in the game engine:

The Ipo data block needs to be linked to the object in Blender.

The object needs a logic setup that contains an Ipo actuator to enable the Ipo to be played.

I hope this sheds some light on your issues. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for the information.

I have to try those out now.

Claas

Kay_Eva

than were do you use the mirror thing?
The mirror slider for raytrace reflections is not working with the Game Engine.

Raytracing doesn’t work in the game engine yet (but we can hope for the future ;)).

Game engine mirrors are achieved using the videotexture module. It effectively renders a mirror image of the scene to a texture that is displayed on the mirrored surface. You can use this texture like any other and combine it with normal maps, etc. Unfortunately it is only really suitable for flat objects.

http://www.tutorialsforblender3d.com/Game_Engine/VideoTexture/VideoTexture_Mirror_Quick.html

There are also a couple of quick examples in the Blender wiki (downloads at the bottom of the page).

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Game_Engine/Python_API/VideoTexture

If only it were possible to render environment maps from one camera and a regular screen view from another we could have beautifully mirrored complex objects too…