TimeShifting Animation

Hi! I’m doing an animation with quite a few things changing (stuff moving around, changing size, materials changing properties, etc.).

I just realized that I need to add some stuff at the beginning. Is there a quick & convenient way to basically add frames at an arbitrary point, and shift all the IPO curves (both for objects and materials), back in time?

thanks!

For the Materials just select all Curves and slide them forward with G, then goto frame1 and I-Key everything between (or manually edit the IPO curves.

For Actions do the same but in the Action Editor and do the same. If you already have NLA Strips you’ll need to delete them before messing with the Actions or reset start and end frames after.

%<

How do i go about selecting all materials and curves? I’ve tried drawing a box around everything, but can’t get all the material curves to show up at once in the ipo editor window (so I can use the grab and move).

Same with all objects.

thanks!

-kailas

You don’t have to box select anything. Just hover your mouse over the IPO window and press ‘a’ to select/deselect all curves. You may have to hover / press ‘a’ over the right hand column (channel names) to select all channels first.

Mike

I see how to select all the curves, once an object or material are selected.

What I don’t understand how to do is select multiple objects/materials, and simultaneously move all their curves.

If i select a specific object (with the RMB), I can see it’s IPO curves for the object, and change the pull down box to get it’s material IPO curves. I’d like to see those curves for all objects and materials, so I can slide them all over.

How do I do that?

I don’t think you can … unless you do some python scripting …or find a script that does that. (And even a script only operates on one object at a time … I think :slight_smile: )

Mike

so, if i want to add or change anything, I need to move all ipo curves individually, for every object and material (select them, go to ipo curve window, select all, grab and move), and iterate?

if that’s what it’s got to be, i can do it, just a bit disappointing :cool:
-kailas

Next to the Context Menu field in the IPO Header (Object, Pose, etc) is a button to turn IPO’s into Actions. If you click that you can move all Keyframes in the Action window instead of moving all IPO’s.

As Mike says, Blender is Object Oriented, so all Datablocks are linked to an Object which is why you’d need to do each object individually. Not sure how (or even if) Groups would help you here, but, even then, you’d still have to do certain datablocks like Materials and Textures seperately.

Another way to do it would be to make NLA Strips of everything you have now and start them on the forward frame (say Fr20). Then do new anims for frames 1 to 19 and add these as strips ahaed of the existing ones.

%<

I forgot about that feature, ya that makes shifting all IPO curves for an object much easier ! It doesn’t seem to work for the Material IPO though :frowning:

Once that’s setup, that would be the easiest way of shifting things around

Mike