Timing, follow through,etc

Hi All,

I would like feed back on this animation to see if I'm heading

in the right direction as far as learning and another pair of eyes
on will help me big time. Thanks for your time & effort in replying.
Enclosed is a link to the animation at mediafire<a href=‘http://www.mediafire.com/?wr212qt4gtg1gff’>http://www.mediafire.com/?wr212qt4gtg1gff</a>

direct link to movie: http://www.mediafire.com/?wr212qt4gtg1gff

i’m no animation expert, but i can see a few problems with the animation. (for the first link… are they different?)

When he stands up, (frame 148-156) his left foot doesn’t touch the ground. Also, when you go to pick up something, you generally bend your back more and your knees less. (your character bends his knees alot) Also, the throwing action is a bit blocky.

I personally suck at animation (i would produce a worse result than that! :o ), so i don’t know any ways to improve what i’ve pointed out. :frowning:

I could perhaps give some feedback, but I’m not really fond of downloads…
Post it on youtube, perhaps :)?

this one is quick… fastest movie download i’ve ever done!

I don’t see much in the way of follow-through. It looks almost as if you’re using Linear interpolation in your keys. I’d go to the Graph editor and experiment with changing the slope of the curves to get rid of the sudden starts and stops in his motions.

Hi All

Thanks for the feedback. 
       Asalina , I'll try that idea out. I thought it was more smoother. I play out the actions physically

doing it to see what order I needed for the main keys was at and didn’t think about my stopping & starting thinking about it and writing it down.
@Acromartsu, I really don’t want to put anything out till it good and the flv format is alot
smaller file size than the Quicktime it was done in. 400 and something KB vs.36MB.
Sam, Thanks for re-linking. This blog stuff is still kind of new to me and I’m still learning this too. I only been to Blender Underground (I’m Bravo6 there) and things here are a little different.
will repost after I work on it. Again thanks all. Have an beaching day!

Hi All

Thanks for the feedback. 
       Asalina , I'll try that idea out. I thought it was more smoother. I play out the actions physically

doing it to see what order I needed for the main keys was at and didn’t think about my stopping & starting thinking about it and writing it down.
@Acromartsu, I really don’t want to put anything out till it good and the flv format is alot
smaller file size than the Quicktime it was done in. 400 and something KB vs.36MB.
Sam, Thanks for re-linking. This blog stuff is still kind of new to me and I’m still learning this too. I only been to Blender Underground (I’m Bravo6 there) and things here are a little different.
will repost after I work on it. Again thanks all. Have an beaching day!

First of all put a frame counter in, to make it easier for people to reference the frames which need work. Also, the reason the mov format (or other quicktime compatible files) are preferable is that people will need to be able to step through and examine your work frame by frame. Quicktime is generally the most popular player for this…

As for the animation itself, at this stage you should be blocking - so use constant interpolation between keyframes. You want to define the actions clearly before considering breakdowns - Interpolation should be applied only when you are ready to start polishing, using it any sooner will simply confuse things.

As for the animation itself, the weight of the character does not appear to have been considered. Throughout the standing motion the centre of gravity is not where it should be, which makes the character appear weightless. The shifting of weight during the throw also needs to be emphasised. Initial focus should be on correcting the weight problems, and defining the key poses and establishing your lines of action.

Biggest thing - keep it old-school. CG animation might be a fancy version of stop-motion, but all the old 2D fundamentals still apply.

Hope this helps.