Tips for modeling animals?

Hi! I went to a cow field one day to take pictures of cows for a 3D project. I want to make a model of the cow now (REALISTIC cow, not a cartoon-y one), but the only problem is, I am not really sure where to start. Or what I should say is what modeling technique should I use? Skin Modifier? Topology? Trace picture and extrude and add details? I’m not really sure. I’ve been Googling and couldn’t find any tutorials on how to model realistic animals. Any help would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

Thanks! :smiley:

-Rioforce

Treat it as you would modelling a realistic human. Just pick a point (I suggest the middle of the back), and then extrude a plane along it, then keep extruding the plane along the edges, and then extrude down the sides. Add a multiresolution modifier and sculpt in details. I recommend starting with the muscles really, 'cause cows are surprisingly toned lol. And then move onto the face.
Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thanks! I think I’ll try that. :slight_smile:

box modelling can be a good way to make quadrupeds too I find. in box modelling, you start basic, usually with a subsurfaced cube, then you make a few extrusions, and make loop cuts where more detail is needed.