Tips for moving from Blender 2.7x to version 2.8

I’ve recently added and corrected a number of things in the article.

Additions and corrections remain welcome, thanks.

only just dipping my toe into 2.8, couple things i’m immediately unsure about;

• how do i get the dots in the middle of faces when i’m using face select mode?
  • clicking on empty space to deselect - might be OK for Faces, but does this not add a lot of erroneous deselecting when accidentally clicking empty space next to a Vert?

When you’re in edit mode, enable Center from Overlays.

You can simply undo (ctrl+z) that action and your selection will be recovered.

thanks for the face thing.

yeah, i gathered, just seems unnecessary clickage; i’d personally prefer they didn’t have the “click nothing to deselect everyting” path.

I figured to bump up this thread for those who are currently transitioning to Blender 2.8, now that the official release is imminent.

The article was written a while ago, so some things might have changed, but the majority of the info should still be applicable.

i don’t know where to ask this, and maybe i’m just dumb, but it (2.8) refuses to run on my windows-8 machine that doesn’t have a gpu. it just crashes the screen drivers, and gives a complely blank gray screen with just the band across the top that says blender on it. and then refuses even to let me close that window without rebooting. so i’m wondering, is it supposed to be able to run at all on a plane vanilla windows 8 or is there something i should or should not have done to install it. downloaded from blender.org and ran the installer and this is what i get. i tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it still does the same thing. (btw 2.79 was running just fine until i did)

Hi, you have a GPU but it is on board or integrated in the CPU.
My old Intel i5 has HD 4000 iGPU and it work fine with 2.8, may you need a driver from Intel/AMD.
The Windows driver are sometimes updated or crippled.

Cheers, mib

1 Like

thankyou and sorry it took so long to answer your reply. i haven’t found anything like that on my hp pavilion that is my current main machine. i know there is one on my almost ten year old asus ‘laptop’. i haven’t tried digging that one out an logging on with, and downloading to it. i have run earlier versions of blender on it, its gpu on it wasn’t supported by cycles at the time though, so i don’t have a lot of hope for evie 2.8x. 2.79 continues to suit what i do, until if and when i can afford a more current gpu that will plug into the slot on the hp.

I just recently couldn’t find how to quick assign vertex groups in 2.8 for weight painting, ( just now realize I probably have to be in editmode) I was able to just delete the auto vertex and repaint manually :smiley: It is pretty easy to get used to.

1 Like

Is this document still available. I clicked the link in the first post but got a 404 error. I know this is and old thread. But I had stopped using blender because my old computer could not handle version 2.8. Now I have a newer machine and am trying to get back into it.

What problems are you having? I still use 2.79 somewhat regularly and have helped people new to 2.79 (because their computer could not handle version 2.8)

Thanks, I found a set of videos on cgcookie that I a going through, I will keep you in mind if I run into a block. BUT I still would like to get that document,

A lot has changed since then.

See if you can find something here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blender+2.7+to+2.8