Tips on making a material like this?

You dont need that. I don’t use eevee but I am sure you can use an HDRI map in eevee. BTW, randomwalk won’t work in eevee I don’t think. Thas why I am saying for the world light you need to use a gradient white at top 50% grey at bottom to the top of your world is white and the bottom is grey.Just plug a ramp and mapping node into the world material.

Also, forget everything I said about reflections. eevee doesn’t support global illumination. That said, your background color is irrelevant to the lighting on the model because the light cannot bounce like that without GI.

Yes or as Thornton says, use a good HDRI

something like this?

here’s the head material as well and I added a mapping node to the world but I’m not too sure how I should use it. I adjusted the location slightly which seemed to help

I have two suns with angle of 30 and i rotated them on the y axis 30 and -30 and removed the shadows from one of them.

EDIT: I had forgotten to change the angle of the sun thats why the shadow is so strong

the shadow falls on the head, which is not good, maybe brigthen the HDRI and put the sun in front (and probably decrease their strength)

yeah. Thats exactly what I meant. Just make sure if you turn off transparent film that it is mapping correctly but that should be perfect.

What would be best for the color of shadows? Their shadows seem to be a bit purple would I achieve this best by adjusting the world color or the suns?

Instead of mesh lights, i would use area lights,because mesh lights are way more noisey.
Usally for this simple scene,are 3 point lighting is used.
In your original image, you can see the shadow from the dog at the ground.This is a good indicator to set the key light angle (or light size) for shadow softness.
small lights = hard shadows
big size lights = soft shadows

I usually use color management and under curves go to the blue channel, for daylight, push my shadows to the blue and my highlights to the yellow. You can then tweak your red in the shadows too to warm it up a tad with a more purple tone. Without seeing your scene it’s a little hard to say what I would recommend. I try to let the work dictate what I’m going to do and not my reference. Reference is great for starting but typically by the end of a project you realize it’s really not a whole lot like what you started, no matter how good you are, so it’s better just to evaluate what you need as you go. I do like to set goals for the vibe but little details like that I deal with on a case by case basis.

Thanks for the tutorial! It was a good watch.

1 Like