tips on retopoligizing this shower head

Hi, i often download models made with software other than blender and the topology of these models is often made up of messy ngons. I’m not gonna post all of them here but just as a study case, how do i best approach the retopo of this shower head?

the goal is to have a clean non-overlapping light map UVs for baking. I don’t mind ngons as long as the UV maps is clean. Blend file is here: http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=43797

Personally my experience is …
recreate it from scratch using blender, such models contain to many errors.

But also wonder yourself does it realy needs to be that complex with all these holes (how about bump mapping it ?).

why do you need to retopo it ?
are you doing any deformation for some animation ?

only thing needed would be to be redo the outside with more segments
other parts seem to be smooth !

add a good cycles procedural texture and it will render nicely

redid your outside part
and here is a render with PBR chrome and HDRI

happy cl

Attachments

I used the 2D to 3D approach here, making sure to have enough edges to make the shapes I wanted to be holes and then modeled it low poly by hand and sub-divided it. Not a completely Blender project, but you sure can do the same thing with Blender, or any other polygonal modeler.

thanks all. ajm, i don’t know why this didn’t cross my mind, seems to be the best approach and produces clean uv’s

A bit late to the game… I’d use the imported original mesh as a template. Then model your new mesh over it by using snapping which should make it easier to get your edge flows. In the case of your example there, it’s probably only necessary to model a 72° wedge for the face insert as it has 5-fold rotation pattern. (360°/5 = 72°) Then it’s just a matter of arraying in reference to an empty object which is rotated (again 72°) to fill in the rest.