To squid or not to squid?

Hi,
I have recenty started seling on turbosquid and made about $130, but i was wondering if it was actually worth it, or if there is a better site?

Hi Squidifier,

As someone who makes a living off of TurboSquid and sites like that, Turbo Squid is a good place because of traffic. It is the most popular 3D asset site at the moment, and therefore you will likely sell more items there than any other place. The downside of Turbo Squid, however, is their dismal royalty rate, which is only at 40%, which is on the low end for the industry standard. The only lower rate that I know of is on Daz Studio, where you get 20% or something like that.

Turbo Squid’s Squid Guild brings you higher royalties, based on a sliding scale. The more sales you’ve made, the higher the royalty rate you get. But the downside of the Squid Guild is that you must be an exclusive seller and can only sell on Turbo’s affiliates, like Falling Pixel. I’ve only sold one item on Falling Pixel of all the time I’ve been on that site. They’ve recently gotten involved with Turbo Squid and now only give you 40% royalties, too. I never joined the Squid Guild because I decided to spread my products on as many sites as possible, and this strategy has paid off for me.

The best site I’ve been on is www.the3Dstudio.com. They give you a 70% royalty if you join their non-exclusive agreement. Basically, the agreement states that you can sell on other websites, but you must agree to leave your products on The 3D Studio no matter what for at least 5 years.

Other sites include 3DExport.com. I’ve gotten some sales from them as well.

The sites I’ve gotten the most sales and money from, however, are Turbo and T3DS, with 3DExport behind them only because I started selling there a couple months ago.

To sum up: Sell on as many sites as you can find. This strategy has worked for me! I sell on 5 websites currently. They are:

Hope this helps. =)

Dan

That helps me a lot, Dan, thank you for the very informed response.
I posted a similar question off-topic on “The Giant Spaceship Thread.” Glad to find this response here.
After looking at TurboSquid the other day and finding a girl model for $1100, I decided that it was time for me to hone my modelling skills. It’s one thing I’ve never really bothered to develop. Now that one can make money off of it, it seems a great idea for an animator to make a movie or series, and sell the models online. It’s the sort of thing that can make CGI filmmaking go from being a very demanding hobby into a very fun career.

Personally, I would recommend against Turbosquid some of their policies tend to hurt the artist. Some artists do well on Turbosquid while other don’t sell anything. If you are serious about selling your 3D models there are much better sites out there, or for what you pay Turbosquid to host and sell your models, you could easily start your own site.

when you sign up to TS is there a “wanted 3d models” section or do you<br>
just make 3d models at random and hope someone buys them?

sorry for hijacking, but do you sell the ownership as well? or you can still retain it and sell it multiple times, how does copyright work out on that? been rarely cross those websites, just curious and a bit confused.

Interesting thread since I’m interested in doing some architectural modeling like furniture, lamps, design objects,…
Does anyone have some advice about the copyright when I’m makeing a 3D model of a famous designer? Do I just mention the designer and indicating that I’m just the author of the model and not the actual design…
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Anyways, thanks for the listing of the 3D model sites for selling.

greetz

I am not really familiar with copyright, but I think that should suffice, as long as you specify who designed it and you only did the model for it, I would go with this.

Copyrights and trademarks are very loose these days, (anyone can tell you that from TPB) it is up to you the copyright holder to enforce the law.

As for where to sell your stuff, open accounts to display your art on the various sites but jack your prices way up. Then offer the buyer a large discount if they buy direct from you using PayPal. :wink: Be cautious this might get you kicked off sites like Turbosquid so phrase it well such as; for all questions and customizing please contact me at…

Also some less expensive places to post your artwork: Deviant Art, e-Bay, and even Craigs List.

I have a question about TurboSquid and the3Dstudio, Why do they need your name and home adderess, phone number and social security number? shouldn’t a paypal email account number be enough? just wondering if you gave them your information (just seems weird that is the point of having paypal so you can keep you information private in one spot)

Just wondering about the policy on some of those sites.

Do they restrict you in any way on actually making the products available at different vendors or is it free reign.

You did say

To sum up: Sell on as many sites as you can find. This strategy has worked for me! I sell on 5 websites currently. They are:

but I still don’t know about their policies…

Going exclusively with a single site can give your a higher royalty rate. It’s your decision on what you think is most beneficial to you.

The social security number is used for taxes. Your SSN = your individual tax ID. And yes, myself and every other artist who gets paid has given the sites their SSN.

sorry for hijacking, but do you sell the ownership as well? or you can still retain it and sell it multiple times, how does copyright work out on that? been rarely cross those websites, just curious and a bit confused.
You can sell the file infinitely. The ownership belongs to you, and at least the 3D Studio will defend your rights in conflicts.

Look them up.

i’ve got to say it seems to be really good business as long as you’ve got good stuff
thinking about some 3d junkies they can live upon it really good

Well… yeah, turbosquid offers a lot of traffic, but they take huge piece of your profit. If you sell small and cheap models, then yeah, it’s not so bad, but let’s say if you make very high quality 3d model and sell it there for let’s say ~500$, then they will take more than half. I offer you to try and sell on so many online shops as you can find, and I can offer one I found recently. http://www.cgtrader.com It’s small right now, but they offers best conditions to artists I ever saw, you got 100% price of your model and after successfull sale you only need to pay 5$ to activate that model again, so you already earned money.

I say yes to Turbosquid , even though I am not a hot seller but yes ,I also did sell some models ! I must admit one thing though , as I understand their 3D forms , they don’t have a warm ,friendly community their so called Artists or the group of talented individuals are pumping out wild amount of models for one purpose , and that is to make money .