Tomatoes (SSS) - UPD with no SSS

Hi,

Here is another result based on the recent SSS shader provided by Brecht. SSS is very useful to get such a discret translucy, just great for tomato skin. I really enjoy this new feature.

Modelled with Blender
Rendered with Blender internal with SSS patch

To let you see what SSS may add to the result, I added a rendering without activating SSS settings.

With SSS

Without SSS

Wow, the SSS really vaults all sorts of things to new heights in realism:eek:

I wonder what this would look like in a scene with RCruiz’s new radiosity and caustics.

:eek: Waaaaaaah.
(awesome)

where did you get the shader?

What have you been told about posting photos and pretending you raytraced them? huh? lol

Niiiiiice!

yess…i would like tomatoes on my sandwich please.

Yummy! =)

And I just had some sliced tomatoes an hour ago in a sandwich.

Yes, fresh food rules =)

Just fix the ever so slight AA issues on the particle hair and it’s 100% real :wink:

Oh, and five stars!

RobertT

great work, as always!
it’s perfect, except for the hairs. to me, it sorta takes away from the photorealism
5 stars :slight_smile:

Forget the sss, your modeling and texturing is what made that so realistic.

would be nice to see the same render without that SSS…

Can we see the picture without jpeg compression?

Wow! That is absolutely incredible! I don’t think tomato stems are usually quite that hairy, but I may be wrong. The tomato texture is perfect, and could not be any better in any way!

I love the way you’ve even added little deformations to the main body of the tomato, to make it slightly more realistic!

Cuby

That is pretty solid, I agree that the hairs on the stem are a little too prominent - maybe make them shorter and a little less alpha on the material.

Thanks to all,

I made a little update: higher AA, small hairs and less JPEG compression.
I also added a version without SSS to compare, and yes SSS improves the result :wink:

Holy Tomatoes. Splendid render.

Did you use ramp shading too??

Very nice… looks real!

Don’t you also have to use SSS on the ‘green’ too? btw, great piece of work!
edit …and how did you do the DOF compositing?

He may have done it with the DOF node.

Again, Brilliant work.The SSS looks amazing.

I like the sss version, however, is it possible to get better shadows? Is it me, or is the edge line between the red and the green too sharp? I mean, maybe I’m just dumbfounded by the accuracy, too far to give real constructive crits… :slight_smile: Awesome work again!!!