Ton, what's happing with blender

(Dittohead) #1

have you come to a conclusion with what’s happining with blender?

(acasto) #2

not being sarcastic, but I believe if they knew what was happening, he would let us know.
Read this for some info: http://www.elysiun.com/viewtopic.php?t=1439

(Dittohead) #3

already read. i NEED blender to survive.

(steve343) #4

me too :o . I hope it goes the way of truespace to be honest because its alrdy miles better than it and it would finally have the income it needs to grow.

(Kid Tripod) #5

i’ll second that

(Dittohead) #6

no what about students who use blender to learn 3d then there wouldn’t be any 3d package out there that’s free. that’s adequate anyway.

(acasto) #7

Do people not understand that someone (ton and friends) actually have to support themselves? It would be nice if more things were free, there were no bills to pay, and there was no responsibility…but we live on Earth.

Any problem can be solved by creativity and hard work. Even writing your own program is not that far fetched, if you don’t limit yourself.

(blengine) #8

to those students who need free 3d to learn:

u still have blender, duh! it doesnt delete on its own now that the company is dead…

to those students who need free 3d to learn and a company thats not bankrupt:

quit complaining and <censored>

to dittohead:

blenders not dead…its surviving and will forever, just no more updates to it for now =(

(S68) #9

:frowning:

sorry Imgrandpaboy but tips of those kinds are not allowed on these forums. Locking the thread was too much so I elected to delete a couple of words from your post.

really sorry,

Stefano

(blengine) #10

warezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarez-warez-warez-warez-warez-warez-warezwarez-warezwarezwarezwarezwarez-warez-warez-warez-warez-warez-warez-warezwarezwarez-warezwarezwarez-warez-warezwarezwarezwarez-warez-warezwarezwarez
warezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarez-warez-warez-warez-warez-warez-warezwarez-warezwarezwarezwarezwarez-warez-warez-warez-warez-warez-warez-warezwarezwarez-warezwarezwarez-warez-warezwarezwarezwarez-warez-warezwarezwarez
warezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarezwarez-warez-

hahahahaa… forum nazi! hehe jk jk jk im jus kiddin… :stuck_out_tongue:
dont lock a post cause that word is mentioned, sheesh… restrictions restrictions…it was a generalized mentioned of that ‘curse’ word, no need for deletion and lockation(i made that up) chill, your too tense, relax…have some tea, it soothes the soul…

(stephen2002) #11

hummm…shall we start a piracy discusssion? :slight_smile:

I don’t know of any other way that a person doing 3D as a hobby or as a student can get a copy of one of those high-end packages, unless they want to skip a few paments on car insurance…or maby skip a year of college! Those programs are incredibly expenisive.

I would really like to know what their profit per copy is. I wonder…would it go up if they were to actually reduce the price…so people would be less likely to pirate.

(Timothy) #12

they hardly make a profit,… infact most of those companies are having financial difficulties.

The fact is also that most of the companies offer a limited trial version.

Can’t afford the real thing? just use the trial.

(Dittohead) #13

ok blender publisher becomes the only product NaN develops, make it under $99 get rid of the realtime crap and focus on new features for the modeling animation and rendering parts of blender.

(The Lurker) #14

Why not use a warez copy if you can not afford the price the put on their software? Just because it’s a moral thing? So is having sex before marriage every one does it any way. So is copying a movie (or TV show) from TV it is technically a copyright infringement and just as morally wrong. Anyone with a vcr have tapes all over the house with copyright infringed material on them. The fact is if you have no intention of buying a $3000 piece of software then the company is not losing a dime on your use of a warez copy of it. btw trail versions tent to sux. Now if these companies made a noncomercial use, nonstripped down version of there software with an invisible watermark in the render and sold it for what normal software costs then people wouldn’t have to use a warez copy. 3D companies sales would go up and everyone would be happy. Capitalism only works for the rich. It’s a fact. I have a 4 year degree I only make 12.50 an hr and struggle to make my student loan payments hard work didn’t do much for me.

The Lurker

(S68) #15

Copying pirated software is illegal, and this regardless of morality.

Suggesting or inducing people to infringe the law is surely immoral and possibly illegal in some states.

Being this a ‘public’ and ‘free’ service provided by a webmaster it is immoral, for users, to discuss of topics explicitely prohibited, and this includes software piracy.

This is why, Lurker, some topics have been locked in the past.

Stefano (my family name begins with S too, so monogram is SS, this gives Imgrandpaboy an edge in his argument above :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: )

(harkyman) #16

Why not use a warez copy if you can not afford the price the put on their software? Just because it’s a moral thing? So is having sex before marriage every one does it any way.

No. It’s a legal thing. You can do it if you’re willing to accept the potential consequences, which are potentially high, but on a risk scale are quite small because you are almost guaranteed not to be caught/prosecuted. Also, if “everyone does it anyway” then that indicates that the morals are changing. Morals are just society’s way of encoding the wisdom of the day for future generations so that they can (hopefully) avoid the mistakes of the past. Our current sexual morals are mostly predicated on a historical lack of birth control, although an inability of the immature to deal with difficult to control emotional attachments plays into as well.

So is copying a movie (or TV show) from TV it is technically a copyright infringement and just as morally wrong. Anyone with a vcr have tapes all over the house with copyright infringed material on them.

Not true. In the US, taping a television program to watch at your leisure falls under fair use. The broadcast corporations would like it be a violation, but currently it is not.

The fact is if you have no intention of buying a $3000 piece of software then the company is not losing a dime on your use of a warez copy of it.

Quite true. In fact, it has been argued convincingly that this helps such companies to distribute their products and make them popular across a wide base of users. Microsoft and Adobe use this strategy with their flagship products (Windows, Word, Photoshop) to keep competitors from gaining a user base.

btw trail versions tent to sux. Now if these companies made a noncomercial use, nonstripped down version of there software with an invisible watermark in the render and sold it for what normal software costs then people wouldn’t have to use a warez copy.

Most companies are aware of this. They only really care about people who are making $ off of their pirated software. If they really believe that each pirated copy represents a lost retail sale, then they are ridiculously naive and deserve to go out of busienss. Despite what their official statements say, they would be in serious trouble without an active warez community expanding their installed base.

Capitalism only works for the rich. It’s a fact. I have a 4 year degree I only make 12.50 an hr and struggle to make my student loan payments.

Capitalism has been responsible for a higher percentage of people living above subsistence level than ever before in history. People work less hard now for more return than ever before. The fact that there are so many rich people (i.e. people with large disposable incomes) and that their numbers are growing out of proportion to the standard growth of the population indicates that in capitalism does indeed work.

Having a 4 year degree gets you nothing.

How many years have you been out of college?

hard work didn’t do much for me.

If you restate that as “hasn’t done much for me yet, that I’m aware of” I’ll be able to agree with you. Lengthen your view a bit. Do you eat when you want/what you want? Do you sleep outside? Is your body and mind so weary an a regular basis for your daily toils that you fall exhausted into your bed at night only to be comforted by dreams of grimy labor and megalomaniacal line supervisors? Really, is your life that bad? Or are you just upset because you don’t live in a cool apartment and dress like the people on Friends?

BTW, as several of the big 3D boys just dropped their prices, we will see whether or not this makes any kind of difference. The capitalistic marketplace has just forced them to engage in experimentation to find the optimum price point on the supply demand curve.

Yee-haw captialism. If you don’t like it… go back in time and take your chances as a feudalistic European serf! Mud is yummy!

(DAK) #17

Blender is gone, finished, it will never come back. This arguement is leading no where. If you want proof, read Ton’s letters. All 2 of THEM!
I am tired of hearing all these “maybes” and “possibly”.
BTW, I was not aware you could pirate software that is not even made anymore. But to add in my last 2 cents, Blender should be HAPPY that someone would pirate the software. It certainly cant hurt them in their present and final condition.

(acasto) #18

But there is an implicit differnce when it comes to discussing opinions and discussing method. Encouarging and providing means and/or methods to priate software (explicity on this forum) is wrong. But opinion is nothing but opinion.

If the world has come to a place, in which opinion must be censored, out of fear of anothers reactions, then God help us all. This is such a big topic and an issue that affects all of us, yet no one will acknowlege it. If a company does say something to someone, regarding content of opinion, then does this show that they are protecting their intellectual property rights or are just bine *#&! heads. I sure hope it dosn’t come down to the IP rights extend to the mind, or we are all in trouble… 8)

(blengine) #19

Stefano (my family name begins with S too, so monogram is SS, this gives Imgrandpaboy an edge in his argument above )

lol stefano, i dont know what that means? =)

"Blender is gone, finished, it will never come back. "

whoa really??? omg, then how am i still using it! wow its a ghost!!!
u know dummy, if u would just replace all the “blender” in your reply to “nan”, you post woulda made sense…hahaha… blender is gone and not coming back??? tell that to the thousands of people that are staring at their blender screen right now…
hmm, we all have ghost programs! your right! we can never use blender again, its gone…it deleted off our comps once nan tipped…huff, i really wish i had blender to use, but i guess its never coming back…

go edit yer post 8)

(Briggs) #20

I must agree with Acasto’s statement that it’s a pretty sad state of affairs how many people are wringing their hands and furrowing their brows over the thought that blender might come back and have a PRICE TAG attatched to it. The whole ‘I’m a student’ thing is the lamest line of argumentation out there.
Heaven forbid that anyone would like to feed their families.

Furthermore (pay attention Opensource pundits) theres nothing in the source code of Blender (or most 3d applications) that is really all that unique. All the principals are well documented. Heck, you don’t even need to BUY any books or LEAVE your desk, all the critical info is online if you only OPEN YOUR EYES and exercise your mind. If you really are that broke and want a free app, write one that FITS YOUR NEEDS. Chances are that you only use a subset of the functionality in Blender anyway, so you wouldn’t have to rewrite the whole featureset, just what you need (or rather just the features that arn’t already provided in the plethora of free 3d apps already out there, like decent character animation tools). Sure it would take some time to do this but in the meantime you still have blender, which can also be used as a testbed for your ideas as well as normal work. Besides, coding is a fun and rewarding experience.

In other words stop bitching and being such leeches.