Too many faces?

Ok so my model right now to get it to look not bad, I need 7000 faces. Is this too many for a game model, or how many faces should you try to stay under for a game?

7000 faces is quite a lot for one object, but not too bad. It depends what the object is. If it’sa prop, then no way, you should reduce a lot. If it’s the main character, you should be able to get away with it.

Care to share a screenshot or .blend?

Yeah, something that a player sees constantly (like the character he is controlling) can be of a higher poly count. Although, I think 7k is a bit on the high side, you should still be able to get away with it. The main things you’ll have to look at is optimization in not just your poly count, but other areas as well. I seem to have more issues with the physics and logic getting too high than I have with the rasterizer.

Well this is my main character but I made some modifications and now it’s only 2300. First I used subsurf but then I tried loop cut in a few places and made it look just about as good as with subsurf. My model is a funny looking round fish. The main problem was the fins. If someone wants I can post a screenshot.

If it’s a fish you should be able to get away with very few polys, as they’re not especially complex shapes.

http://s2.subirimagenes.com/imagen/previo/thump_929415pantallazo22.png

86 faces XDDD

Well, mines a bit more complex than that.

It could be around 100…
You can also disable collision and light shading, make a collision box for the fish…

Blender 2.46 can generally handle 20,000 polys with a decent framerate. There is no general limit for and individual object in the BGE, it depends on the detail and size of the rest of your game. Also keep in mind that most computers are different, so higher range computers can handle a lot more than lower range ones (15,000 - 80,000 polys is the range I’ve seen, 20,000 being average). Also keep in mind logic and physics will also lower your games framerate.
The apricot build is a different story, people have reported max polycounts of over 1 million, but the range is much greater. Apricot doesn’t improve the BGE much in optimization, it just makes better use of newer hardware, so a computer that can play lower end old games (quake 2 ish?) will keep nearly the same poly limit, but a computer that can run crysis on max, can get those rediculous numbers. So you can increase the poly limit of your game with apricot, but at 1 million polygons very few people will be able to run it.

So you can increase the poly limit of your game with apricot, but at 1 million polygons very few people will be able to run it.
It’s fine if your game uses over 1 million polys, but just remember to put a WARNING on your game if you do. That kind of polygon count on low end machines, almost kills the computer. Just keep that in mind.

Blender 2.46 can generally handle 20,000 polys with a decent framerate.
Well, that’s half true. Some blender games I’ve seen could only handle 10,000 - 30,000 polys. However, if you set up your game correctly, you can get more. There are a few games that could handle over 100,000 polys on low end computers using blender 2.42a. It depends on your setup.

Other than that, gomer basically covered everything you need to know.

We get these poly-count questions a lot here. There should be a sticky.

Ya. Cool thanks. I got My final model down to 2500, but I think I know how to decrease it a lot more. It’ll just be a lot of work.

There. I finished my model with 611 faces. It’s got a few points on it but whatever.