Too Much Sliding Even With Damping 1.0 in Bullet

Has anyone else noticed this? When you use the set linear velocity commands the character slides even with damping set to 1.0. There is a difference between 0.0 damp and 1.0 damp but it’s not as significant as you would think.

I’ve also tested it straight up by doing simple logic brick setups and have the same problem.

I’ve noticed this too. I just switched back to sumo because there are too many things that are broken with bullet.

couldnt you just set the ground material to dynamic and change the friction?

> When you use the set linear velocity commands the character slides even with damping set to 1.0. There is a difference between 0.0 damp and 1.0 damp but it’s not as significant as you would think.

If you post a .blend file indicating the problem to Erwins site ( http://www.continuousphysics.com/Bullet/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=0bf144f59ee2c4282f2135693cb19e32 ), that will help with identifying resolving the problem.

Mal

:confused: I don’t get that problem at all, and the damping is on default 0.040. Simple test rig. Cube and plane. Cube has logic space->AND->linVx(5). Press space, the cube moves along positive x axis and then stops a little while after. This is with preview 24.

[EDIT]
Oops, misunderstood what you were talking about. Stella’s correct about the friction. Change the friction to a semi high value and it should stop no problem like it would in sumo.

Jason Lin

I’ve struggled greatly with player movement. Nothing works perfectly, but this is what I have found to work good: set forward and backward movements to linv and strafing left/right is done with force. It works well, but you still can’t strafe up inclines. Don’t use bullet or 2.42 because its not stable yet.