toon bee

My first post!!! :RocknRoll:

I’m a Blender noob…big time. Anyway, I am finally diving into my first character model… a cartoon bee. I plan to rig and animate this character once modeled and textured, so I am trying to pay close attention to my topology. I’d like to get some feedback from this fine community in regards to ways that I could improve or correct any problems with the topology that might cause problems when I get to animating. So be brutal (I can take it):ba:

Attachments

Looks very nice, so far. Just keep going. Welcome to the community.
(edit) one thing though, it does seem to be getting a bit dense around the bottom. There are ways to thin out the polys.

Attachments

Thanks for the welcome and the input. Your tip for reducing the polys down is noted and appreciated.

I’m assuming that the area you say looks like it is getting dense is the chin. So I have been trying to reduce the polys down in that area. Problem is that I have a mirror modifier applied and every way I have tried to approach this leaves me with quite a few poles and disrupts my flow from the chin to the throat. Is there something I am overlooking?:confused:

Attachments

I was kind of looking at his shoulder region. The thing about clean edge loops…In areas which will do lots of deforming, they are a must. In general, they are a good idea. However, there are other things to consider, such as conservation of polygons. Being too vertex heavy can kill a scene, or make it hard to manage. Sometimes a balanced approach is necessary, and the real test is: How does it look? Does it deform properly? Is it manageable? I confess, though hesitantly, sometimes I use a triangle here and there, provided it does not in some way corrupt the surface of my model.

update…

c and c welcome.

Attachments

Real work has been getting in the way of progress, but I have managed to scrape up a few minutes here and there to make advancements in this project.

Attachments