Toon shading in Blender 2.79 and above. (Is Irie's technique dead?)

So, I’ve been doing some playing about with some toon shading/cell shading with some of my old files, and I seem to run into some problems.
For one, irie ‘s script for toon shading seems unstable ever since 2.79. It’s been an excellent recourse for me and many others, but I’'m worried his script is finally dying.

Also, with the recent updates, we’re seeing native shaders doing a lot better.

Should I be upgrading my techniques? Are there new techniques I should be aware about?

I’m really struggling to update my old materials, and I want to make sure I’m doing it right.
Anyone have any articles, tutorials, or advice? Google is a bad friend and keeps recommending me obsolete techniques.

Thanks for your time.

Yes you should be updating your techniques. Eevee Shader to RGB changes everything. Use this to keep track of your lights and all those Cycles hacks become unnecessary.

Yeah, um…

… XD

I leave for boot camp in a couple months, and I don’t want to take the time to learn Blender 2.80, only to have to learn the next iteration 4 years from now when I’m a civilian again. I’m sure the 2.8 interface is grand, but I just don’t have the time. Is the 2.8 cell shading worth the change? Is it that different?

If you’re happy with what you’re making, don’t change!

I think that anybody interested in non-photo-realistic rendering should be excited by 2.8 because of Eevee, which simplifies a lot of things that needed massive workarounds (including irritating multiple render passes) to work in Cycles.

Personally, the big thing I love about 2.8 are the dependency changes, they enable me to contemplate a lot of rigging things that were just too complex otherwise.

But it’s a mixed bag. It’s two steps forward, one step back in my opinion.

Download the portable .zip, install with RMB select and 2.7x interface (it’ll ask at initial startup), and you won’t need to read anything-- just leave it on Eevee, make some lights, create a diffuse BSDF->ShaderToRGB->ColorRamp and see where it takes you. Hotkeys with that setup are virtually identical (g y for custom orientation instead of g y y, lasso select is different) and you should be able to check it out without too many headaches.

Ok… Darwin said it’s not the strong which survive, but the ones most responsive to change… I guess I’ll give it a go. Thanks for your time!