Top inward slopes for letter objects

I wanted to create letter objects like the first image, but how can I have the inward slopes for the top edges? For a simple object like a cube, I could select the top face and scale it smaller to achieve that, but a letter is quite complex, and when I selected all top faces and scaled it, the direction was not right.

Hi,
You have to “clean” your mesh. . . :wink:

• create your Text (20)
  • select Text and Object > Convert To > Mesh from …
  • with object selected > switch to Edit mode and press the X key > Limited Dissolve

Then you just have to extrude your faces.
Select the upper faces, CTRL + B to bevel

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. It mostly worked, but I have a few minor questions.

1. When applied “Limited Dissolve”, on “0”, the two edges were not straight top and bottom, but two random lines. In my case, I manually added two lines like yours using the knife tool and deleted the generated two edges. Did you manually create the edges, or is there some way to make the edges in those positions automatically?

2. At the bottom-left corner of “2”, there was a problem like the picture below. But in your picture, it does not seem to have the same problem. Did you manually correct it, or is there a way to avoid this problem automatically?

1. In case of “0”, when I applied Bevel, the manually added top and bottom edges created two lines both on the top surface and the bevel area. But in your picture, they do not have the same problem. Did you manually correct it, or is there a way to avoid this problem automatically?

For 1) Blender cannot do everything itself. . . and sometimes you have to “adjust” some edges / vertex.
In the case of 0 (Zero), adding edges at the top and bottom is perfect.

For 2) Here, for the two overlapping vertices: I select the two vertices> ALT + M> (Merge) At Center
(you can also use the Snap adjust on Vertex)

For 3)

when I applied Bevel, the manually added top and bottom edges created two lines both on the top surface and the bevel area

It’s normal . . . because by selecting the faces, you ALSO select the edges … :smile:
So, you have to go back to selection of edges and deselect these two edges which are problematic

In short, always look at its mesh and make the few corrections that are necessary.

I am sorry for taking your time, but there is one last question. Can I make the rounded bevel (not the edges between the top and the side, but the side faces) surface smooth like the reference image? The one I created with your help looks like a diamond with many clean-cut faces…

This is especially apparent when it is lighted. The light looks smooth on the reference image, I tried subdivision or smooth-shading on the blue area, but it did not look like the reference image.

Reference’s round bevel (horizontally)

My diamond-like bevel.

If you bevel with the modifier, you can go back and increase the number in your bevels.
As this is probably a bevel done in edit mode, you would have to remake it.

CTRL + B and action on the mouse wheel will automatically create additional edges …

Then it’s just a question of smoothing …

Of course, as usual, depending on what you want to achieve as precision in your mesh, there are different solutions …

Basically, you can already get a simple smoothing:

• select the object> right click> Shade Smooth
  • you improve by adding an Auto Smooth from the Object Data Propertie> Normal> Auto Smooth tab