Topological transition between 2 surfaces

Hi everyone !

I’ve been googling this for a while now but i can’t seem to find what i’m looking for.

Basically I want to make transitions between two surfaces, for example, if i have a square on the “floor” and a circle somewhere over the square… I want to have a smooth transition between those two surfaces… like some perfume bottles or something like that. I hope you get what it mean. In Rhinoceros this is known as “Surface transition” or “Blend surface”… cause it’s gonna be pretty hard just to extrude my square and try to convert the top portion into a perfect circle…

Thanks for the help !!

J.

Blender is not a nurbs modeller like Rhino,it has some kind of support for nurbs but it’s really primitive
It doesn’t use curvature information,neither position,tangent or curvature continuity.
So,the only thing you can do is make it by hand,trying to match the 2 surface(it’s not so difficult)
Or you can model everything as a single surface with subdivision surface(to have smooth transition),and if you want to give the look of several surfaces you can use different materials on it.

You can loft between a circle and square using F > Skin Faces/Edge-loops. It works best if you keep the vertices count the same on both loops.

Attachments

You can loft between a circle and square using F > Skin Faces/Edge-loops. It works best if you keep the vertices count the same on both loops.

Cool… that’s pretty much what I wanted to make… Thank you!..