Topology and Texturing Question

Hi Everyone!

I’m texturing this room interior with Blender for export to Unity 3D 4. I would like to choose the best way of doing this.

I have 3 questions:

A. Can edges overlap? Should I separate the floor as a different object here? Or should I make new faces on the floor so that the wall and the floor don’t need to share overlapping edges?

B. Is this the correct way to create faces for the round top of the door or is there a better way?

C. I’ve heard that quads or triangles are the best ways to prepare faces for game engines. Is the quad that I’ve created for C a good quad or is the shape incorrect?

Also, is there a good book or video series that will help me understand the topology with is “correct” and efficient for game engines and also required before texturing?

Thanks everyone! Chris

Can edges overlap?

Yes you can overlap the edges. This is mainly done to keep poly count down.

Is the quad that I’ve created for C a good quad or is the shape incorrect?

In your case where all the triangles are in plane and flat so it should not cause any problem. Its when surfaces are not flat, the shading engine have problem.

Thanks, ridix!

OK, thanks for the advice about the overlapping edges. You were right, I didn’t have any further problems with them, but I did have problems applying a texture with this topology. I’ll post a new thread to show you what I mean! Chris