Torque to Blender, problem of transparency/Z-buffer.

Well met to everyone at BlenderArtists.org. I’ve been turning to your good forum more than once when searching for a answer to problems I’ve had with blender and thanks to your forum I’ve been able to come as far as I have. However finally I registered and this is my first post here.

I am part of a small indie dev team for racing game where my role is to do assets. I’ve encountered one problem though and was wondering if you guys have experiences of similar (yes I did use search first, but with no succes). When I have made an item with more than 1 object with transparent texture it shows rather fine in blender (all planes are 1-sided but that doesn’t matter). Problem comes with exporting to DTS and viewing this model in our game engine (Torque) with ShowToolPro however. Z-buffer seems to be doing it all wrong showing trought the parts it shouldn’t. Here’s picture of what I mean:

http://www.venomlemon.com/odd.jpg

Right, I was able to correct trunk showing trought by placing leafs on layer 2 and trunk on layer 1, however what’s still matter is that each of my leaf part has 4 intersecting planes with same transparent texture (so you can see texture from all angles). These leafs ain’t z-buffered correctly but show “inside out” like this:

http://www.venomlemon.com/problemo.jpg

(first image demonstrates this too). I’m using latest blender, alphamapped super PNG for texture and been searching, trying and crying for total of 16 hours with this problem. So I turn to you my good fellow Blender modellers, any idea at all what I might be doing wrong/don’t know. I guess I’m just too green/noob to figure this one out, would be lovely to carry on with my work =)

ps. here’s zip file if you want to try/see yourself http://www.venomlemon.com/bush.zip

Blender GE’s alpha sorting doens’t work properly, there is no way to fix it unless the developpers do :frowning:

:confused: That’s GarageGames then right? I assume you mean exporter is the fault, righties? :no: Jeez I spend 12 hours today on this problem… and can’t fix it. Bleh, well thank you for this information.

I think there something that should fix it, enable ‘use blender matrial’ then in the material of the bushes click on Ztransp, it should work now

How I enable “use blender material” do I do this at showtool pro or blender exporter? Ztransp. I’ve got on already…

gah never mind I tought you meant in blender game engine XD, also if thats the case you posted this topic in the wrong forum

That’s GarageGames then right? I assume you mean exporter is the fault, righties? :no: Jeez I spend 12 hours today on this problem… and can’t fix it. Bleh, well thank you for this information.

I was refering to Blender Game Engine, not GarageGames, blender game engine can’t show properly overlapping faces that have transparencies (this is know as the old and rather well know alpha sorting bug).

Wait, did you mean that you exported from blender to torque and you get the same bug? then I don’t know how to solve it, torque should show it properly since its a different game engine.

I suggest you talk to joseph the dts exporter king over at GG. This guy is very good at troubleshooting and the likes.