Total Newbie question regarding exporting Wavefront OBJ

Let me preface this by saying I have been collectively using/learning/pulling the hair out of my head with Blender 2.41 for about three hours in total, it’s a little scary but I am determined to learn how to use this crazy thing!

Ok:

I’m trying to make a simple prop (Shoe, if you must know) for use with Daz/Poser and export the file as an wavefront OBJ, but I keep getting a
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has not attribute ‘name’

now, I can export simple mesh shapes without this problem, but since I made some simple Boolean adjustments the object will not export.
I have downloaded the most recent version of Python (2.4.2) and tried that; No dice Ma!

What I was able to do was export the file to wings, which I don’t know either, then it came in with the x,y,z scales altered, then I exported it again as an OBJ and it looks terrible (like it’s textured, but it isn’t) when I imported it into Daz|Studio 2.1.0.1

Does anyone have any ideas where I’m going wrong with this?

Thanks.

S|D

Hello,

first of all it’s the first time that I export a mesh to (obj) , when I choose export wavefront (obj) it gives a pop-up with some buttons that are quiete clear. I just clicked Ok and the object was exported successfully.

OF course I previously applied a boolean modificator and a subsurf too.

I re-imported it again (in blender) no problem it was the same object, the same dimensions …

Can you post your blend file so I can figure out whats wrong?

it doesnt look like I can add files any longer, I followed the FAQ but I don’t see the option to do so in a new post or an edited first one so I stuck the file
here.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/yebsothoth

it’s really crude, but like I said I’ve been using the program for less than a handful of hours at this time.

It seems that the folder is empty :there is no file at the link you posted.

Anyway try this one : http://www.h4x.snipanet.com/blender/index.php

it’s easy and sure,

but read carefully instruction on how to refer to your file.

AL . :slight_smile:

Al,

I had this question floating on another forum, I was having some issues with this one getting logged in. The short of it was when I explained to another modeler what I was trying to do he suggested booleans were not the way to go:

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2006 17:45 Post subject: Report Post to Moderators Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
to be honest the interface in wings looks at first glance to by clumsy compared to blender, blender also appears to have more group support, but I could be wrong. It does appear to be more complex and more of a learning curve.

What I’m trying to do is make a simple exercise sandal prop for use with V3 (like Dr. Shoals sandals?)

At this time I have no intentions of making MT’s or anything too dynamic like a shirt, football helmet or fully deployed aircraft carrier (not right now anyway)

How would a more seasoned vet approach this, I have used Poser and Daz for years, but those are not model design programs. I have slapped props together and removed sections with transparences to make new objects but no real modeling.

P.S. I did get into the blender users board and reinstalled the app, but I’m no wiser.

“Gentlemen! I am that second mouse!” - C.W.

Last edited by sorshadragon on 27 Jan 2006 17:56; edited 1 time in total

dug

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2006 18:29 Post subject: How would I… Report Post to Moderators Reply with quote
How would I model simple sandals? Hmm…

OK, I would not use booleans. While the 2.40 version of blender does have radically improved booleans they still will leave a lot of triangles. It’s just the nature of the beast. Tri’s don’t work so well with sub-surfing/ smoothing options and will probably look messy when brought into poser or D|S. Quads are preferred.

So to make sandals I would start with a cube and subdivide it a couple of times. I would then use scaling and extrusion tools to get it more sandal shaped. Next I would delete the faces for the “foot hole” and extrude/ scale to give it some thickness rather than having the sides of the shoe be 2d.

I assume you’ve realized that this gives me a rectangular box for a shoe. Perhaps with some scaling and shape, but blocky and squared. I would sub-surf the mesh (subsurf is now found under constraints). This would make it smooth and rounded. (Subdivision surfaces are a great tool for allowing you to make a low res mesh and convert it to a higher res mesh. As a modeling tool you can manipulate the low-res mesh while seeing the “ghost” of the high res and convert it later. I might crease the subsurf for the sole so it isn’t rounded.) As a last step I would convert the subsurfed object to a mesh which will give me the high res mesh for exporting. Oh, you may need to smooth object as well.

This is a basic outline of how I think I would approach it; steps might change a bit if I were looking at the blender interface, but I do tend towards extrusion modeling techniques.

sorshadragon

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2006 19:08 Post subject: Re: How would I… Report Post to Moderators Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
dug wrote:
How would I model simple sandals? Hmm…

OK, I would not use booleans. While the 2.40 version of blender does have radically improved booleans they still will leave a lot of triangles. It’s just the nature of the beast. Tri’s don’t work so well with sub-surfing/ smoothing options and will probably look messy when brought into poser or D|S. Quads are preferred.

So to make sandals I would start with a cube and subdivide it a couple of times. I would then use scaling and extrusion tools to get it more sandal shaped. Next I would delete the faces for the “foot hole” and extrude/ scale to give it some thickness rather than having the sides of the shoe be 2d.

I assume you’ve realized that this gives me a rectangular box for a shoe. Perhaps with some scaling and shape, but blocky and squared. I would sub-surf the mesh (subsurf is now found under constraints). This would make it smooth and rounded. (Subdivision surfaces are a great tool for allowing you to make a low res mesh and convert it to a higher res mesh. As a modeling tool you can manipulate the low-res mesh while seeing the “ghost” of the high res and convert it later. I might crease the subsurf for the sole so it isn’t rounded.) As a last step I would convert the subsurfed object to a mesh which will give me the high res mesh for exporting. Oh, you may need to smooth object as well.

This is a basic outline of how I think I would approach it; steps might change a bit if I were looking at the blender interface, but I do tend towards extrusion modeling techniques.

I’m not familiar with the process of subdivisions (Neither in the highschool halls nor the shopping malls) and I’ve just started working with extrusions so I’ll look at the tutorials to see what I can find.
Also, would it make sence to try and work off a top and side photo as a background template? Additionally the straps have a clasp and rivited holes, would this make more sense as trying to cut them out with extrusions and avoid booleans as much as possible?
I know I’m asking a lot of questions and getting in over my head, thanks for all your suggestions and assistance, dug and everyone.

dug

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2006 20:07 Post subject: Report Post to Moderators Reply with quote
Background photos: Yes, absolutely. A very common and useful tool.

And I would try the clasps and rivet holes as extrusions. That may well just be me. I had enough problems with the booleans that I learned other techniques and really don’t touch them anymore. Like I said, I haven’t tried the new tools in 2.40 which are supposed to be vastly improved.

To apply a subsurf, select the mesh and go to the MODIFIER options by (…opens blender in background…)clicking on the button with the square with 4 little dots on the corners. Or just hit F9.

There is a button labeled Add Modifier. I know I said constraint earlier. Blame the crack. Click the Add Modifier button and choose the option Subsurf. OOh and AAH at what it did to your mesh. New options also appear to manipulate the level of subsurfing.
One is labeled “Levels” and controls how many levels of subdivision are shown on screen while you edit. The higher you go, the smoother everything gets and the slower it gets too.
Another is labelled “Render Levels”. this one is how many levels of subdivision will be applied when you render. That way you can set your opengl preview to a low number for speed and render at a higher level.

I once saw a nice example for understanding why to model with quads. Make a cube and subsurf it. Then make a cube and convert it to tris and subsurf it and see the difference.