Total noob question about textures i think

Hi there!

I’ve been using blender for about a few weeks now and i have learned a lot already and have been able to make some pretty cool stuff! Still have a lóóót of questions but sometimes my lag of knowlegde bothers me and i just dont know how to google it :sweat_smile: so here i am trying to explain this thing i want to know;

How do you guy’s do it when you have like a soda can and it is supposed to be a coca cola can… how do you get the logo design on the can. Just add a logo to it with some kind of texture or is there a other way?

I just wanna know how you be able to put something like a heart or a star or whatever on a object,

Hope someone can help me out :see_no_evil:

The term you are looking for is ‘uv unwrapping’ and it is analogous to stiches on clothes.
It allows you to map 2d textures on 3d objects. You will find good amount of tutorials on this subject.
You can start with unwrapping simple primitives such as cube and cylinder to get better understanding of the process and then go for complex models.

If you want to put something flat on it: use uv/map with textures
If you want to put something bas-relief: use an alpha texture with displacement modifier

Try this:

or this:

Thx for your reply’s. So basically i have to make my own textures to do so. i was aware of the texture unwrapping thing but was hoping there was another way for this… like the pusheen cat on my profile picture… his mouth is a loose object which form technically doesnt fit on the body. So now i have to make this a flat png and put that on the body as a texture :sweat_smile:

There is. Kinda, sorta. For static non-deformable objects I’ll often resort to tri-planar mapping or make special purpose built node setups that helps me texture map things without resorting to UVs. Or create special UVs that serve special purposes outside of mapping an image to a surface, like for aniso direction control or “randomization” of coordinates (can be UVs). In some cases you have the option of using the image mapping mode, but I found them lacking (disk and pyramid mapping is missing) and unpredictable so I made my own which I can also use for procedural stuff.

Even if you venture into that kind of stuff eventually, getting around the basics of UV unwrapping is probably wise for somebody new.

But for character stuff that deforms, even if I chose to utilize complex node setups, I’d probably end up baking them out to a UV layout. Other than a few exceptions with generated coordinates, you won’t be able to have the texture follow the deformations without relying on UVs. However, I don’t do characters or deformations normally.

1 Like

An image texture is pretty much the only option for the can, because the details on it don’t follow the limits in the structure, and you need the millions of pixels to describe those details which include fine print and various colors. Something like 200 mesh faces is not enough to write “Have you tried Pepsi?”

Though, you might need more than one image to control the material on the label.

This works like a hierarchy:

• Object, which consists of
    • object data, a mesh in this case,
      • we assign material(s) on the faces. These materials have properties, which can be controlled with a
        • texture. When you have an image which is made to control a specific material property, it’s called a texture map, usually with the property name such as: diffuse map, glossiness map, normal map

An UV map is 2D representation of the 3D structure, so it’s also object data. Since images are 2D, you need texture coordinates to place them on the 3D object correctly.

Simplified, these are like the soda can or painted wood which also work as a hierarchy. Soda can has a aluminium structure, coated inside, glue and label on the outside. Painted detail on a wood works better as an analogy though; A painted wood plank with some text on it to make a sign on the side of a road

• Structure, doesn’t matter as long it’s something rigid to paint on, in this case a wood plank
    • it gets covered with paint. Both wood and the paint that covers it are made of something, so it automatically needs a material
      • you want to control the color of the text. You have paint material that gets the same paint material, but in different color

And you also want to control the placement of the text.

That’s the same as:

• Mesh (wood structure)
    • Material (paint). That material has color (diffuse) property, which you want to control with a
      • texture, in this case an image, which is a diffuse map.

Since the text goes on a flat surface, you don’t need UV’s to get it placed correctly, but you could do it that way and it would also be easy.

Perhaps this helps to understand and/or search with right terminology.

1 Like