Totally Awesome Renderer!

Ran across this Mental Ray 3.3 site. Thought someone here would like to have a look at it. Check out the gallery (finally found out what Star Wars II used! ).

http://www.mentalimages.com/ Main site

http://www.mentalimages.com/4_1_motion_pictures/index.html Gallery (if only blender’s internal renderer could do this quality of work :D)

http://www.mentalimages.com/2_1_1_technical/index.html Renderer details (worth checking out)

sirius mentalray is one of the oldest and worldwide famous renderers, it’s integrated in maya, max and softimage.
if I have to be honest, lookin at matrix scenes, they’re not the best cg available…

What’s going on with Panic room CGI?! I haven’t seen the film so maybe i’m missing something but… Why!? Whuuu, I dont get it!! Did they CGI everyday scenes that they could have just filmed?!

In panic room, the camera does some very twisted movements and quite long shots (dunno their name in english, plan-sequence in french) ) impossible for a real camera to do… (hey, it’s Fincher after all :wink: )

Dani

Mental ray is well known, is expensive and has no connectivity with blender, thus making it quite useless ATM for us.

I wouldn’t mind having brazil renderer, supposed to be quite fast.

I see, thanks, i’ll have to check it out sometime i guess. Thought for a second the world had gone crazy and nobody told me.

wait, its free now?
j/k

With a little effort, Blenders internal renderer is great for matching any renderer on the markets quality.

Anyway, some folks don’t realize that much of the “render quality” is often compositing quality in feature films. Rendering engines don’t make good renders.

Good texturing, lighting, and compositing methods make good renders. Mental Ray offers an array of high end features that really aid 3d rendering out of the box.

You have to be creative and skilled to handle Mental Rays powerful features just as you would with Blenders rendering engine.

Mental Ray is not some push a button instant pro rendering engine. You still have to put in your skills and put in the work to make things look good.

I hope that this will save someone from investing in XSI just so they can get instant pro 3d renders. You will get more options and great tools for rendering with this setup. But it still takes a well qualified 3d artist to make proper use of Mental Rays power.

Mental Ray is not some push a button instant pro rendering engine. You still have to put in your skills and put in the work to make things look good.

I hope that this will save someone from investing in XSI just so they can get instant pro 3d renders. You will get more options and great tools for rendering with this setup. But it still takes a well qualified 3d artist to make proper use of Mental Rays power.

I second that. Sometime newbies think that with top of the line hardware and 3d software, they can suddenly make fully featured films that blow Pixar out of the water. It does take skill to do computer graphics and even more skill to do high quality computer graphics.

That is why I am using blender. It is better to learn on something free so you can back out when you wish without taking a big financial hit. I don’t know how long I can keep in 3d graphics. I am quickly exceeding the physical processing limit of computer :smiley: (guess I should turn off all those mirrors and transparencies :smiley: )

Anyways, just my $.02

'nuff said.

Yes - The Internal renderer (especially the LATEST renderer
from the latest test-builds) can in fact render
VERY high quality images with texture-tweaking.

I use Blender to render commercial glossy-a0-poster size images
and it just passed quality control at the head admin offices
some days ago - people wouldn’t belive the quality, it is as
photoreal as it gets. Unfortunately I am under an NDA
(non disclosure agreement) so I can’t “brag” with them yet,
but it will be released to the public (ad’s etc) in some months…

…but I wanted to say this to support Blender as a commercial
tool - because it really CAN! It’s up to you guys to fully
take advantage of it…“Cheat” a bit where things are lacking
and be creative.

Most of the time I did something not-so-convincing…
…I could only blame myself for the lack of knowledge,
not the render-engine. Take Ligthing for example…that
stuff is an artform in itself…it takes years to master
proper lighting. Not to mention matching textures and
colors…