Traditional film/Animation

Hi,

Thought I’d stick this up here. I’m just finishing up a live action/stop motion animated short film which I co-wrote and co-directed, called Gustav Braustache and the Auto-Debilitator. Should have DVDs available by the end of September or so, and we’ll be making the assault on film festivals about that time. Enjoy the trailer:

“…and now, something completely different”.

Bravo!

Thanks!

And, just in case anybody is getting frustrated by how tedious animation is with all these pesky IPO curves, here’s a little mini-making of to show you just how it is when you do it all by hand…

hey bugman! real nice work! can’t wait to see the full film. The guy stuck in bushes was very very funny! What festivals are you submitting the finished film too?

Wow that looks great - and - this is something you don’t see everyday - a great trailer! Very odd music. Nicely old-fasioned. Like it.

I’ve tried stop-motion before with some friends and we managed to create a 2 minute long film in a day :slight_smile: Very annoying, especially if you want to get around 25 frames per second which means you have to make tiny adjustments.

Looks really good. sadly i don’t have sound so I don’t get to hear the “odd” music.

Thanks guys. Glad you like it… hopefully the whole movie is even better. It’s about 25 minutes long.

I’ve tried stop-motion before with some friends and we managed to create a 2 minute long film in a day Very annoying, especially if you want to get around 25 frames per second which means you have to make tiny adjustments.

Yeah. Once we got lights and everything set up (not at all trivial for film work) we’d be animating at about an hour worth of work for about a second worth of screen time. It makes it very painful to cut and edit footage later…

What festivals are you submitting the finished film too?

A lot, starting with the bigger ones. Right now I’m preparing to submit to the Clermont-Ferrand shorts festival in France… I’m actually desperate for French translators. I’m going to go post something on off-topic now.

Hi,

Well, we’re still submitting to festivals (no bites yet unfortunately, but we’ve just begun), but we do have the DVD available for sale at Amazon, in case anybody is interested:

Some festivals won’t consider material which has already been shown online, so we’re not posting the whole thing for the time being. The DVD has a bunch of extras, including the original 10 minute super-8 film “The Devices of Gustav Braustache, Bachelor of Science” and the “Behind the Stache” mini-making of. Plus mp3s of the terrific soundtrack by Joe Kuta. There are also French and Japanese subtitle options.

T

Wow, looks great. It’s like David Lynch mixed with old silent movies. I LOVE that kinda stuff. The trailer itself is very nicely edited, if it’s that good in the full movie I’m sure you’ll do great at festivals. Good luck!

Well, it’s been a long time since I posted anything on this, but we’ve finally started to get accepted into some festivals. What’s more, we’ve won a prize and a little bit of nice acclaim.

The first festival we got into, the New Beijing Movie Festival, we won the prize for “Best Narrative Short!”

http://www.beijingfilmfest.org/awards.html

Since then we’ve gotten into a couple others. We got into the Ybor Festival of the Moving Image in Florida, here’s the profile for the movie there, complete with trailer:

http://www.yborfilmfestival.com/2008/works_gustav_braustache_and_the_auto_debilitator.html

And that showing earned us about the best review we could have dreamed of:

I can’t resist reprinting it here:

Gustav Braustache and the Auto-Debilitator by Rob Cunningham and Tony Mullen. Right now, in the glow of the morning after, this is one of the greatest films of all-time. The black-and-white, near-silent comedyconcerns an inventor of ridiculous devices and his lazy landlord. It too employs beautifully rendered special effects. I was literally on the edge of my seat as human nature and its accompanying foibles played out on the screen.

Now that’s what I’m talkin about!

The film’s also been accepted at festivals in Oklahoma and I think Texas. It also screened at the Local Sightings festival in Seattle a few months back.

As my partner said (making a reference to Steve Martin’s “The Jerk,” which if you haven’t seen it, do): The phone books have arrived!

Hey
is that a real gecko you got on the blackboard ?
ah… I mean it’s all red which is unusual for it be realistic in my opinion
but at some moment in the trailer I see its top right leg positionning itself(?)…

Congrats man! Not only does the film itself look good, but the editing of the trailer and its music really work.

is that a real gecko you got on the blackboard ?

No, it’s a rubber toy lizard. The movie’s black and white, so the color wasn’t a problem. The surface that we were animating on was coated with a thin invisible film of rubber cement and so was the lizard’s underbelly, which let us animate it and keep it fixed. But the rubber sometimes had a mind of its own…

No animals were harmed during the filming of this movie!

@mikahl, thanks!

Wow, I remember watching this some time ago – nice to see it finally getting some recognition!!