Transferring files between two networked xp home pcs...

I want to swap some files by creating a network between two computers with xp home, but when I tried (with a RJ45 ethernet cable) it didn’t work. Someone told me it was because the cable was wrong, so I was wondering if anyone knew what sort of cable I’d need, and how to do it…

You need either a hub or a. . .uh, it’s a two-way cable, but I can’t remember the name of it. . .crosslink?

joeedh

yes, you need a crosslink cable. or a hub/switch/router.

and you need to actualy share something. right click -> share.

Warning: the transfert protocol that MS uses for its file sharing is crap and slow as hell. You’d be much better off running an FTP server on one of the machines.

FileZilla has both a good client and server ftp application.

Martin

Would I still use a crosslink cable, or an ethernet cable between the two, or just transfer files over the internet this way? Sorry for the questions, I’m just confused as to what you mean. Is this easy to setup?

If you are using Windows NT/2000/XP make sure to install the latest security updates if it’s connection to the Internet. Failing to do this could result in hacker attacks! It happened to my Mom’s and two of my brother’s computers, so watch out.

Make sure to do that before you share any files.

joeedh

Would I still use a crosslink cable, or an ethernet cable between the two, or just transfer files over the internet this way? Sorry for the questions, I’m just confused as to what you mean. Is this easy to setup?

What I was talking about was the software side of the solution. Setting up an FTP server/client connection is really easy. Though maybe not as easy as using Windows shares, but the speed is well worth it.

Whatever the software solution you choose, you’ll still need a link between both computer. I highly suggest a direct link connection with a crosslink/crossover cable if you want fast transfert and can get the comps close enough (they don’t usually make long crossovers though it’s child play to modify a straight cable into a crossed one).

A crossover is just a standard RF-45 cable with inverted connections on one end. If you buy one, don’t let hardware stores rip you off by selling it at a higher cost.

Martin

though it’s child play to modify a straight cable into a crossed one).

but you need the tool -> about 40$ can to make a rj45 head.

a fire wire cable will work too, dependeing on the speed of your network cards it may be faster.

I had that problem too with my uncle’s PC. I tried to use an RJ45 connector between laptop and desktop and it just wouldn’t work. The setup for starting sharing seemed really complicated.

I don’t want to go down this road again but I plug in my ibook to my imac and click go->connect to server and I’m there. In fact, it mounts in the Finder when you plug the two in.

As for the computers being close, I have a 50 metre RJ45 cable connected to my internet modem, which is 2 storeys down (don’t ask why) and I’m still transferring at full speed.

hmmm… Crossover cable is ok.

http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm

Do you have DSL or Cable internet? Most routers act as a hub. Connect your “modem” to a router. Plug in your pc’s and your done. Routers are pretty cheap these days, check www.newegg.com. A router is the only way to go in my opinion, makes your net connection more secure instantly as well as providing a nice hub for 4 computers (on average).

I also use usb storage devices to transfer files. They are nice and fit in your pocket.

XP also automaticly detects network shared folders. IIRC, it already has one by default, but you can share whatever folder manually.

Not to mention network drive mapping, which, while a bit harder to setup, give much more options than just standard folder sharing.

Of course, that’s also not mentioning anything you could add on top of the OS (FTP servers, samba, SSH servers for SFTP, …)

As for the computers being close, I have a 50 metre RJ45 cable connected to my internet modem.

Of course, you can get straight cables up to insane length, but I really don’t think you can get crossover cables that lenghty (there’s no real market for those).

Martin

Thanks Theeth, I’ll let my uncle know. I tried sharing folders but when I connected the machines, nothing happened. I found the whole setup wizard for making a new network connection and I was trying to make new IP addresses for the machines and stuff. I knew it had to be easier.

[quote]As for the computers being close, I have a 50 metre RJ45 cable connected to my internet modem.

Of course, you can get straight cables up to insane length, but I really don’t think you can get crossover cables that lenghty (there’s no real market for those).

Martin[/quote]

I’m not familiar with the crossover cables. I just use a straight cable for file transfer. Anyway, don’t know if this helps:

http://www.johnscloset.net/wiring/crossover.html

Like it says on the site you posted, most new network card/switches support automic detection and switching between cross and straight connections, so you don’t really need a cross over. However, since there’s still a fairly large amount of device that don’t support this, it’s still a good idea to have a crossover handy.

Martin