Transform "Bake Sound to f-curve"

I have searched for several hours trying to find a solution to this problem and have only made it so far. I am trying to take an f-curve that I have baked from a sound file and free transform it so that I can manually move it around to fit the data correctly. To be specific, rotate a needle on an axis. The only problem is, the max value is exactly 1 degree. I was wondering if anyone knew how to manually move the f-curves after they’ve been baked from the sound file. I’ve already tried using the “Bake Curve” option, but nothing changes. Thank you for any help.

You can move points on an f-Curve just like objects in the scene.
Simply select them all and issue a move command.
For instance to move all the points in an f-Curve up by one, select them all (A-Key) then type GY1 enter. (Grab in the Y direction one unit)

I’ve tried this. When I press G, S, or R, it does nothing. It acts as though it is locked.

1 Like

Still not getting anywhere with this… It seems as though even Google doesn’t have the answer. This appears to be a rather unexplored topic. I would really like to solve this.

The curve also has and edit mode. You need to enter the edit mode for the curve by pressing TAB-Key, select points, then try to (G)rab the points to move them.

no, I dont think you can edit baked fcurves -as those you get from baking a sound- that was the point of writing the scripts…

I can’t seem to figure out how to add a driver. I tried switching from F-Curves to Drivers, but nothing shows up. Adding a marker doesn’t seem to do much either. Maybe you could give me some sort of example script as well, because I’m not sure exactly what I’m looking for here. Sorry if I seem new to this, but I’ve just never came across an issue like this.

Nevermind. Finally got it working! Thanks a lot for your very detailed answer. This helped out my project a lot.

Yeah, to add a driver, you have to right click on the property you wish to animate and choose “Add Drives” or “Add Single Driver”. To tell you the truth i think its kindof a pain, and I’m pretty pissed that the blender team have basically removed all the older methods of more in depth real time scripting such as pyConstraints and scriptLinks.

As a guy that does mainly television motion graphics this has presented a bit of a problem for my workflow. In my opinion, the only reason why Cinema4D continues to be the insustry standard in this field is because of its animation scripting and MoGraph toolkit, which blender seems to have really taken a step backwards with in the 2.5 release. But enough of my ranting and raving, you work with what you’ve got i guess.

In case anyone else is interested, I’ve attached a blend file with the drivers and stuff already set up for sound baked to f-curves

Attachments

AudioLink.blend (424 KB)

yep, even drivers are much easier to setup in cinema, but that just means things can improve :slight_smile:
try the little addon i wrote in upper link, you get a curve to copy and paste/transform elsewhere

I know it’s an old thread, but it has good SEO placement.

One technique you can use if you just want to get a rough idea of the highs in a sound clip and map them to another value is to setup a dummy object or node and then map the sound to an f-curve for that dummy object/node. Then in the graph editor you can overlay the value you want to set to the sound over the baked curve and use it as a reference for keyframed points. It’s not perfect but it works.

1 Like

In the Blender manual, you can read :
Baking a curve replaces it with a set of sampled points, and removes the ability to edit the curve.
Then stop to try to modify a backed curve, it is not possible. By using the feature called Bake Sound to F-Curves, you create a backed curve without any possibility to edit it !

Hey, See this post *** WELCOME to BA ***

No thanks , I will not simply stop trying to achieve what I need to do :wink:
BTW , found a way to do this with an add on , Audvis , excellent for this purpose , can make drivers and bake an editable curve.