transform grouping threshold

Hello all,

this is my first post here, and I hope to stick around once I get back into the swing of things. I started a new project to get the rust off and I am having an issue with 2.64:

created an object at 0,0 and transformed it.
when i create a new object at 0,0 and try to transform it, it also keeps transforming the first object (by transform I mean grab, rotate, and scale)
they are not the same object because I did not add the second object in edit mode of the first (I even tried joining then separating them).
if i set the cursor further away from the first object and then create the second, it does not have this effect. if i move the second over the first, then try to transform it again, it grabs the first one for the ride again.

is there a setting for a transform distance threshold or something i am missing? this never used to happen to me in 2.5.

thanks everyone!

Post your blend file, maybe you are linking geometry (Pressing ALT+D to duplicate gets you objects with linked object data) pressing SHIFT+D results in two separate objects with unique object data