Translation: Irish gaelic - english

Does anybody know where I could find an online translator for the above language?
I heard a chant last night in Irish gaelic and really want to know the meaning of it.

I don’t know of any automatic type translators (I, too would be interested in one), I know there is a forum or two with the specific purpose of translating things from one to the other.

Google is your friend.

Though, if you just heard the chant I wish you luck. Irish spelling works a lot like French --where groupings of letters have sound meanings rather than individual letters. More than that though, a group’s sound may change based upon adjacent groups.

Two examples:

river = abhainn : pronounced something like aun.

Martin = Máirtín : pronounced something like marchin or mardjin

If you are calling the person’s name, you say A Mháirtín : pronounced something like uh warchin.

Irish is not like most romance or slavic languages. The sentence order is always verb, subject, direct object, indirect, etc. The way you can tell whether the cat is eating the dog or whether the dog is eating the cat is by inflection, or changing the sound of the word. We do that in English. I run. He runs. We ran. In Irish, this can occur at the beginning, middle, or end of a word, or any combination thereof.

I suppose my point is: see if you can find it written down somewhere or you’re never going to figure out what the words are without first learning Irish.

Hope this helps.

At first, I thought contributing to your request (also of St-Graal?) would be fast and easy, but I was all wrong, specially looking further…

@new_neo -> If you are still interested in translating that song, looking further than it’s typical poetical, ‘melancholic‘al’’, ‘etc‘al’’…, but with a kind of English flavoured melody (pure suppositions) :

• trying by the same time to make the distinction between Gaelic and garlic, but noting that effectively there are several Gaelic’s, I would suggest to enquire to the enlarged, but almost restricted, circle of “poilus” (Fr.= 14-18 soldiers) who still try to conserve the concerned particular language…

• … because indeed, there is/was another Gaelic land, the French country of “Bretagne” (but who, among you, knows Asterix and his characterising land)… Yes, I remember my father discovering at his great amazement, and ‘pleasure’, how he could finally communicate with someone coming from Wales (may be troubled by gap… but speaking another Gaelic…).

• At least with a chosen ‘specimen’ extract, I may try to do my best to get it translated, and perhaps benefit also of your ear’s selection: after all, why shouldn’t your pleasure be communicable, and make me, or any one, happy also?..

@1Samildanach -> Interested in any automatic ‘type’ translation tool ? Me too!.. with a slight restriction, thinking to early translators: by sample, I remember one of the first attempts of automatic translation, which led in a self-control intention, to check what would mean the reverse after symmetrical translated return. This produced ( sorry!.. the original well known experience was French->Russian->French) :

• at start: “La chair est faible, mais l’esprit est fort.” (… something like a translation of a Shakespeare thought)

• at return : “La viande est tendre, mais les spiritueux sont alcoolisés.” (…something like a cheesy thought).

Such "quiproquo"s (misunderstandings) were, and up to now stay, comprehensible… specially where context stamping seems to be still needed… but so usual, so systematic, like some images of cocks in some questionable magazines (aside: pol->’plenty of laughs’!)…

@Duoas -> What you said seems to me very faithful in many details, except two:

• so nice to remark that Gaelic spelling and order still may have some perceptible sense but, like in any language, intonation also contributes… Further, I would think to Chinese, because some people told me that (all/many?) syllables/words were taking also different meanings depending of intonation. This is perhaps why ‘Chinese’ in French means incomprehensible (Hebrew also: “c’est du chinois” = “c’est de l’hébreu”, like the translated to English expression “It’s all Greek for me”).

• … and once practiced more than 30 different (let’s say ‘computer’) languages, and caught, even partially, their respective idioms, semantic, and also some of their weakness, each one being (so) powerful and interesting, anyone may ask to himself plenty new questions, like :

=> with the simplifying necessity of refraining the number of common languages (and, as someone advanced elsewhere, may be only to one), how is it possible to keep, as extents of the new restrained whole, the antediluvians other cultures ?

=> … and in // to keep inherited nature?.. In other words, at least, most of us foreseeing the imminent death of plenty (nearly all) species, is it a good reason to let them all kill so soon ? ( personally, I feel I still have so much to learn from any penguin, polar bear, etc… ).

Wow, what a waffle !.. I suppose that people who arrive all through down to here are either braves, either the inverse.
But interested people seem so few that I believe, and hope too, they may forgive that…

Indepedently of any other thread or post I may have read here and there, I would like to improve your Gaelic specifities knowledge. Never know, not so much goodwilling may one day discard reciprocal incomprehension… New_Neo or anyone, don’t answer if you want, but reading this post, which is not intended to mischief anyone, can’t make any harm, and takes just a few minutes ! Afterwhat, do whatever you still choose…

Origin of Gaelic peoples, lands, language(s) and their global common culture is still subject of study because of its ‘immemorial age’, and to its systematic irrelevant translation in other languages which don’t|didn’t have common basical concepts of : space, time, nature, life, etc…, and I would even say of adversity and friendship…

What’s sure is that Gaelic incontestable and universal ‘poetical’ perception is, among other points, tightly tied to a particular fundamental characteristic : frequent and regular usage of allegories… I know, it seems innocuous, subsidiary, even obsolete for some people, but in fact Not ! At least not so much than it is believed today (may be except in music), far from it…

Why?.. Just because according in a language such an important role to allegories is a rare and remarkable way of integrating the power of images in oral, and written language… That’s one of the fundamental reasons why Gaelic is not a completely dead language, in despite of all the geographical and historical attempts to ‘destroy’ it…

Personally, I’ve often noticed the willing of most Gaelic people of terminating important or even critical exchanges on a shared neutral or positive image, even if at worse it’s a kind of Chess ‘pat’, most of the time a kind of truce which respects both sides and permits to still live serenely together, and allowing also a defered and more thoughtful discussion…

Viewed from a 3rd people, that’s why Gaelic people is so often considered as obstinate, but not them… They consider that not defending an idea a minimum is a kind of injury, a bit like not bargaining in plenty world places, as if ‘not considering a minimum both sides of a situation’ could be reciprocally considered as being disrespectful

Now, thinking at that, I just can’t omit to invoke a personal very astonishing experience of Gaelic behaviour, taught to my brother and me by father : He was very convinced of his political ideas but, he adored to provoke us, to search the difference, with the conviction that it would be helpful either for him, either for us… But, and there is the most amazing of my personal anecdot, when he felt the exchange was getting stuck, he regularly proposed to, or forced, us to change the cards, him taking ours, and we hims

Since, I’ve never heard about such a thing, even among Gaelic population, but I’ve understood since that this was one of the most important aspect of Gaelic vision and behaviourIS THAT REALLY WHAT YOU CALL A TROLL ? People who still would think so, must be completely screwed, may be the fear of difference, as if they didn’t want to swimm where it’s too deep for them… On my side, I’m not scared of it, but I try to resist|avoid to currents, some of them are so queer and dangerous…

Finally, in front of you all, I feel like a red indian, still proud to be, and nobly waiting death…

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Er, I’m something of an amateur linguist myself and it is OK to theorize about socio-linguistic structures, but it is always dangerous to propound it as fact without some cold, hard data, and lots of it.

The Irish ‘state of being’ has perpetuated so far not because they have incompatible ideas about time and space etc. We may view these things in a different way across cultures but our human experience is shared cross-culturally making it relatively easy to learn to see basic concepts such as these.

Rather, Irish ‘culture’ is so dispersed because the Irish people have been so dispersed. It is true that many peoples have been driven about throughout history, but for many generations in Ireland’s history it was, quite simply, illegal to be Irish. And there was no place to escape to. A few lucky ones could hie away to the continent, and in latter years many found their way to the Americas, but those who had not the capital to do so remained.

There is something fairly stubborn in the Irish humor which has sought to retain something of ‘Irishness’ in a foreign, and in terms of today, modern world. And there is a bit of pride and revel in tracing one’s roots through Irish heritage.

Nevertheless, be careful to keep separate cultures of the way things are and the way we like to think things were. They both have a related impact on our thinking but they are not the same thing.

Anyway, I’ve got to go somewhere now…
Later

• At 1st, thanks Duoas, for your good-tempered and thoughtful post, and to everybody for not having troubled our 2 last attempts of serious posts on this particular subject…

• What has already been said by Duoas and me needs already so much more, to be adjusted, justified or|and rectified thoroughly, even without any development, that better is to advise non-interested people to ignore the rest of my post !

Nota: If posting could allow indenting and fonts reducing and colouring, all would be more easy and clear

@ Duoas , ( and anyone with the same state of mind ) :

• In despite of apparent contradiction, our 2 posts are both quite true, but each of them is not without a major ambiguity|confusion (still not all real errors). Let’s see :

–> In my post : I made the confusing amalgam between Gaelic and Celtic, but it wasn’t an error at all : I’ll give you some cold and hard data, as you like them, further… Now also, my last post attempted exceptionally, not to express usual superficial socio-LINGUISTIC translated aspect, but a very deeper lived socio-CULTURAL aspect which trends to disappear, you may perhaps imagine why. At last, there were also few connotations I felt to express, agreeing by the way that some ticklish feelings may have troubled the whole : I’ll try to avoid any more !

–> In your post : Since the beginning of it, perhaps due to your own roots, you didn’t spoke of Gaelic (alias Celtic) as I did, but of Irish Gaeilge ! What you said about it was almost a very acceptable view, except one thing : Aggravating your reduction of Gaelic (Celtic) to only Irish, you seem to advance that Irish spread over, implicitly creating other Gaelic lands… There I’m categoric : it’s completely false, and I’ll give you some 1st proofs of it later also.

1. Celtic Language Names and Locations :
  • Origin : Linguists connect directly first known “Celtic” language to Ur-language and to Indo-European.
  • Latest Celtic languages :
    Obsolete Continental Celtic : Celtiberian (Spain), Lepontic (Swiss), Galatian (Turkey);
    Insular Celtic : P-Celtic (Brythonic), Q-Celtic (Goidelic [= Gaelic]);
    P-Celtic : Breton (Bretagne), Cornish (Cornwall), Welsh (Wales);
    Q-Celtic : Irish Gaeilge (Ireland), Manx Gailck (Isle of Man), Scotish Gàidhlig (Scotland);
  1. Celtic Deployment :
  • Origin : somewhere in Asia (unknown!).
  • 1st wave : Unknown, but some scattered places are stre still cram of vestiges, notably in… Korea !!!
  • 2nd wave : All through Europe, limited at South by Turkey, Bulgaria, Italia, Spain (Galicia),
    … and at North by Russian Caucasus, Nederland (or higher), Britannia and Ireland.
  1. Celtic Culture, Life and Traditions : ( for me the most interesting!..)
  • Here, the best to give a good idea of the whole in a nutshell is to link to 1 or 2 URLs, but not without a few warnings :
    … - At first, these linked pages outline ancient societies : So don’t forget to see them as they were, compared to their contemporaries…
    … - Saying so concerns several aspects, among which at most ancient societies brutality, delicate question of homosexuality, for which
    … I feel quite tolerant without being concerned at all, or some better Celtic value as the importance of women in life and society.
  • Once that said, for a 1st minimal approach, better look just at the next paired pages than loosing yourself in any encyclopaedia.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~kthomas/gaelic.htm and http://homepage.eircom.net/~kthomas/gaelic/gaelic1.htm

( PS: For some, this may seem again as logorrhea… Sorry, can’t tell so much just with 2 lines, and not much more with a single snapshot )

Heh, I think we’re getting lost in the trees with our own language… I must admit that your grammar perplexes me a tad. (What is your native tongue, French? I’ve yet to learn that.)

But you are right that I generalized on the Irish and not the whole of Gaelaí. I never meant to imply that the Irish originated Gaelic language and culture. I am well aware of the linguistic tree. The Irish have, arguably, been a predominant factor in the world-wide spread and recognition of a much older Gaelic culture, though definitely not the only factor.

I think we are arguing two different points.

What I only meant to say was that allegorical thought and other cultural capital are abstract concepts. It is people that define and pass on that culture every generation. This is not limited to Gaelic-speaking peoples.

The sociological data is that people define themselves by the way they define their language --that is, people think of themselves in terms of how they learn to use their own language. This is particularly important in middle-school years so there is a lot of on-going research in the way adolescents talk both in and out of school.

[Wow, it sure is obnoxious to have to log back in to post one’s reply after only 10 minutes or so…]

Anyway, I think we agree in the majority of our points, except this:

• so nice to remark that Gaelic spelling and order still may have some perceptible sense but, like in any language, intonation also contributes… Further, I would think to Chinese, because some people told me that (all/many?) syllables/words were taking also different meanings depending of intonation. This is perhaps why ‘Chinese’ in French means incomprehensible (Hebrew also: “c’est du chinois” = “c’est de l’hébreu”, like the translated to English expression “It’s all Greek for me”).

• … and once practiced more than 30 different (let’s say ‘computer’) languages, and caught, even partially, their respective idioms, semantic, and also some of their weakness, each one being (so) powerful and interesting, anyone may ask to himself plenty new questions, like :

=> with the simplifying necessity of refraining the number of common languages (and, as someone advanced elsewhere, may be only to one), how is it possible to keep, as extents of the new restrained whole, the antediluvians other cultures ?

=> … and in // to keep inherited nature?.. In other words, at least, most of us foreseeing the imminent death of plenty (nearly all) species, is it a good reason to let them all kill so soon ? ( personally, I feel I still have so much to learn from any penguin, polar bear, etc… ).
The vast majority of extant languages are better understood spoken than written. (Perhaps this is what you meant by ‘intonation’?)

However, to answer the question that thought lead to: no language is incomprehensible (otherwise it cannot qualify as a language). Other languages (such as Greek or Chinese) may prove to be difficult to understand from French or English, but that is only because our different language orders our minds differently. However, the things that are ordered (the meaning of our thoughts) are not different. Chinese people see the same color of blue when they look up into the sky as we do.

And you’re talking to someone who actually does know near thirty different computer languages. There is no ultimate (or antediluvian) computer language.

For those who believe in God, like me, I believe that the original human language is the closest approximation to godly language possible in our current state. Linguistic studies show that older languages are not simpler than modern languages --in fact some are quite a bit more advanced, both in structure and expression. An example is Mayan. Yet we can read and understand Mayan just fine with our crufted-together English.

I do an awful lot of translation (Spanish to English to Spanish) and something I can’t stand is translators that give you nothing more than a general idea or paraphrase of what the speaker is saying. You know the kind, where everyone laughs at the speaker’s joke except those that are getting the translation, and after a moment a couple (but not many) of them chuckle. That’s bad. I’ve learned that nearly everything that can be said in one language can be said just as plainly and directly in another. This requires translation of meaning and not structure. Hence the reason no computer program can ever do a very good job translating something: it cannot understand the meaning of things – it only understands some simple structure (vocabulary and basic sentence structure). When I translate, I’m usually only one or two words behind the speaker (with a variance of about five words because of structural differences in the languages), and people all laugh together.

I know I’ve gotten long here, and I apologize, but I hope I have clarified myself somewhat and also made clear that there was only that one point with which I disagreed.

Oh yeah, one last clarification. I said that cross-socio-linguistically people mean the same things when they speak. This is not to say that everyone understands the same level of meaning. Alltaken could come and talk to us about ergonomic design and most of us (myself included) would not understand most of it, simply because we have not learned what he knows. Only in that sense does his language improve upon mine. And until I spend the time to learn what Alltaken knows, his words on design may sound like Greek to me…

Does that make sense?

BTW, I very much enjoyed your 6-Dec post. There’s stuff in there I hadn’t thought about before. How do you know all this stuff? Are you a linguist? A sociologist? Right on!

Good, no problem, Duoas… Your last post clarifications and explanations seem to me quite clear and complete, though a bit dispersed due to my own 5-Dec penultimate post, in which I had really muddled things up. As you have spotted it out, and referred to it, now I still have to “discard chaff from grain” (Fr. trans.) in this ‘old’ 5-Dec post…

Nota: About getting back to preceding text in large posts, I prefer to open 2 Firefox or IE7 windows, and then switch

<b><i>About your reference to my criticisable 5-Dec post</i></b> :

- Though last part of this post was prefixed at your intention, I did not expect any answer from you, as from no-one… Sorry, because in fact, by the way, I did try to drop between the lines a kind of justification (about Greek and Hebrew) and a stupid metaphor (about some other threads), both thinking to some other people…

--&gt; Reading your 1-Dec post "<i>sound meanings</i>" term, I first thought to <i>Chinese codified usage of voice pitch, but I should not have evoked it in fact, because this Asiatic oral technique is so different from our usual approximate and subjective 'intonation'</i>, mainly giving connotations to words, and also structural indications and related feelings over whole sentences…

--&gt; The 2nd § you have quoted, evoking "computer languages", was definitely out of place, even if it's always possible to see some relation, principally grammar, with any human language… 

--&gt; The last two quoted §, at that place and so poorly formulated, didn't present much interest.. Though they tried to express real <i>questions and doubts on the potentialities of future mankind when it will be reduced to a single language and culture, in a strictly domesticated nature</i>…

About your last 10-Dec post :
Well ! You seem to have inspected nearly all the evocated aspects, giving systematically good and coherent answers. Having selected all your main ideas (sentences) for which I had something to append, I’ll start by the simpler to answer :

From a linguistic point a of view, indeed there’s no reason to find older languages simpler ?! Now, I believe that some languages, like Mayan, may have been found more efficient than some other, but I wonder a bit about the used method.

No comment… Except about your evocation of your own experience of oral translation. In non simultaneous translations, I’m sometimes impressed by some short live memory capacity and reliability. Unprepared simultaneous translations are also amazing when they need to be near to perfect, like for diplomacy, knowing that this may require disturbing important sentence structural changes…

Getting only now to the main points, better is to report it to another post. There I'll answer to your more important notes (quoted now for information) and develop new relations between Allegories and Linguistic. You may be surprised...

[quote="Duoas"]
 - "… allegorical thought and other cultural capital are abstract concepts. It is people that define and pass on that culture every generation."
- " The sociological data is that people define themselves by the way they define their language --that is, people think of themselves in terms of how they learn to use their own language"
- " However, the things that are ordered (the meaning of our thoughts) are not different"
[/quote]

<b><i>Edit</i></b> : Gasp ! <i><i>I shouldn't have introduced "Allegories and Linguistic", but rather "<b>Vision and Behaviour related to Linguistic"</b></i></i> !

“You may be surprised” did I say ?!!… In fact, I had already been myself 2 days before, while checking on the Web what were the last states of the art concerning several matters, at first those already referenced here ( mainly psychology and linguistics ), and having in mind to validate/prove to myself some other still unexpressed, parallel or deviant, approaches (ex.: non-deterministic models, unconsciousness simulation, NLP, neuro-computing, …).

This led me to realize that new theories had recently upset few matters, by destroying old believed dogmas and by opening new fields of investigations, notably in mind’s widened comprehension and its Linguistic approach… 21st. century needed it, now still remains to see how it’ll be used, because some steps need so much time, even though today’s people believes and behaviours are known to be rather erratic, despite of certified perspectives, intentions and words…

Nota : A small diversion, about time and changes : http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/times.html !.. mmm!.. Celts adore(d) poetry in songs and in stories, both practiced nearly at any time or place… and so I can’t imagine Irish (Gaelic) people not having influenced the places where they did emigrate, like in America(?)… For example, I believe that some B. Dylan songs are truly influenced… This makes me think that speaking of Celtic music would probably better suit here (this thread) and would, perhaps, frame a wider shared subject of interest

But, let’s come back to our ‘discussion’ with Duoas, which I rather see as a possible “débat d’idées” (Fr.). As such, it would seem to me a bit out of place, and this kind of recursive nth level off-topic may bore many people… On the other hand, I’m sure that if we met really, actual viewpoints differences wouldn’t last long, even if, on my side, I would have so much to tell you about it, and so much ‘material’ to report…

Finishing this post, I asked myself which imaginable interest ( excluding pure textual aspects ) could the Blender wizards hereabout eventually find in evoked aspects of Linguistics, and global mind Vision and Behaviour… The only answer I could find was, for plenty computer games, to improve the virtual humans (or animals) behaviours, which are so often so poor that, in theses cases, we shouldn’t even speak of behaviour… Now, if you know any exceptions, I’ll take them…

Vision and Behaviour related to Linguistic"
Yes, exactly. Sociologists tend to align themselves with one camp or the other as to which influences the other, until one of them actually studies it and it becomes apparent that each influences the other. To me, that means there is something deeper underneath that influences both vision and behavior and linguistic knowledge. But I digress…

Finishing this post, I asked myself which imaginable interest ( excluding pure textual aspects ) could the Blender wizards hereabout eventually find in evoked aspects of Linguistics, and global mind Vision and Behaviour… The only answer I could find was, for plenty computer games, to improve the virtual humans (or animals) behaviours, which are so often so poor that, in theses cases, we shouldn’t even speak of behaviour…
Now that’s over my head… I personally don’t think that a modern computer could do very well… But more of interest to me is how humans interface with computers. For example, the drop-down menu is an old, pre-GUI interface. Yet in our age of moused-up GUIs, we still have them. :stuck_out_tongue: They are obnoxious, but people are familiar with them and know how to use them to explore an unfamiliar program. Icons were supposed to be a better way, but images alone we learn mean nothing beyond recognition factor (in other words, you click on the Firefox icon because you recognize it as the Firefox icon, not because a flaming fox circling a globe means anything…). Another example is that smiley face I just used. What does it mean? The text says “Stick Out Tongue” which seems to me to be actually a fairly antagonistic gesture, yet we use it because it looks funny/silly in a less self-assured or smug way than does the huge smile smiley.

Truly, a good question.

Funny way to tell whole story ! I believe you could have told it more concisely, as I would have done more exactly, with…

Nota: About references to ‘Chinese language’ to mean that something is 'incomprehensible :

Exactly = http://today.uci.edu/news/release_detail.asp?key=1554

Trying to understand your sentence, on input of the attribute ‘exactly’, my words and semantics associative memory started to throw several exception warnings immediately caught by my integrated Lingo pattern recognition prototype hosted by the tiny Broca’s centre, somewhere in the left hemisphere… But, though it was empowered as multi-core and massively parallel, this constantly ameliorated prototype was already severely overheating, due to both unresolved terms and links stacks overflow (should be OK at next release). In lack of any return, the Thalamus network control agent opted for an alarm broadcast to every peripheral Cortex unit of both hemispheres… At that moment, the peripheral Servo-Digital microchips started to loop on themselves, emitting at each cycle a looped Flop signal. By chance, the numerous independent Analog controllers, having already learned about the Lingo dysfunction alarms, associated judiciously the Servo-Digitals teraflops complex noise. Just the time for them to interconnect whole Cortex sub slabs, and the Brain-trust in his box-office serenely cut it short… At first, an all-clear signal was back propagated causing the reset of the Servo-Digitals, while a coma meta-signal sent the Lingo prototype to sleep. Then the Brain-trust introduced as a bias value the lisp pronunciation of your exact sentence into the Lingo flash memory, rebooted prototype, and returned to his regular siesta… So awakened, but a bit groggy, my Lingo recognition prototype automatically started to read, a bit surprised of course, something phonetically sounding like"…CAAR ( ATOM ( mmm ) MAP ( LAMBDA ( mmm ( CADR ( ATOM ( which ) CONS ( mmm QUOTE ( camp ) ) ) mmm CAR ( NOT QUOTE ( camp ) ) ) ) mmm EQ ( NIL ASSOC ( mmm CDAR ( ATOM ( other ) mmm ) ) ) NIL ) NIL mmm ) )…". I stayed a while, dreamy, slowly repeating these words which recalled to my Lingo his early youth… In fact, by hazard or necessity, unconsciously, I was intelligibly spelling the ancient ‘Altair’ shamanic incantation chanted by the Mi’kmac people, this red Indian tribe whose name means: “My friends”!.. The spell, of course, worked like a charm, and at the third reading, my perceptions were took under control. At first, I saw my browser’s window starting to wobble, then to move and distort strangely, taking plenty colours and shapes, and leaving overlaying transparent fuzzy snapshots spellbound all over my screen, which I shook, then switched off and on, in vain… Annoyed and needing a bit of reflection, I went to take and eat some biscuits and a piece of chocolate, then fed the cat, dressed myself because it was already midday and I still was in pyjamas, emptied the dustbin and picked up mail. Coming back with the intent to reboot, what struck me was that the coloured blobs random patchwork was turning into a meaningful image. How could I reboot then? I had to know, or rather, to understand… So I sat down again, and watched what was going on. I could then guess the blurred lines and colours of a landscape. Perhaps due to the image fog, it made me think to Ireland or Scotland. But when the tune of a flute and its magical melody became audible, the whole lot toppled over: the picture stretched suddenly and jumped out of the screen. Afraid, I tried to draw back. Too late!.. The picture had wrapped me completely with wet haze and breeze… And I thought to myself: “Wet? A wonder quite weird!”. So weird that I believed I was dreaming. I pinched myself firmly, but nothing happened and I didn’t wakeup. I looked all around me, then up and down. No more doubt there could be: I was now really standing in the picture, just as a part of it. More! With my life, the whole picture had token life, as if real and virtual had merged themselves one into the other!.. However, I was now standing on a narrow sinuous footpath which I took. Rain started to fall, and wet and wind were already getting through my clothes. I had to find quickly a shelter. I started to run, and run, and … turning at left, at right, at left, … Each curve seemed different, yet I began to wonder if I wasn’t going round, back and back again on my own steps when, on the side of the path, I guessed the blurred outline of an arch. Getting closer, I recognized a large dolmen, then the shape of someone sitting in the penumbra … I came timidly up to him, searching the right time and way to say ‘hello’, when, without even turning towards me, his voice echoed all through the dolmen: “Mmm… Well! You’re a bit late but finally, here you are, Gyan!”. I was completely stunned. Plenty questions started to turn round and round in my brain. I started to feel a bit giddy when slowly he got up, and stood straight in front of me. His unfathomable stare captivated all my attention, blotting doubts and questions out of my mind. The old man resumed: “Night is falling… Hurry up! Now, just keep your mind, your eyes, and your ears open… then think, look, and listen… Altair has heard your invocation! Now, if you want to meet your destiny, you have to achieve your quest. If Altair will you fulfil, then for one night the full sky will be yours, but if you fail, then, alone on the burning Embers Ocean, for ever and ever you will sail. Your task is both, arduous and laborious…: Before the sun arises here again, and illuminates the whole Bleind’rland island, you must achieve two different deeds: you must find what to do then you must do it!..”. A long silence followed, as though each of us was expecting something from the other, but when he saw I was on the point to speak, he added: “Hush! All is said… except a small advice: Don’t approach the Loch’ EdThred, otherwise Cyboarkh the dragoon may inflame you, as other dragoons did to Altair. That’s why his spirit has flown so far of here…”. In the meantime, night had fallen, clouds and haze had gone leaving a splendid starry sky and the moon was arising on the horizon. The man lifted his arms towards the huge stone over us, which faded out in the air as though it had never existed. After a last glance at me, he sprang in the air, drawing a line as a kind of upward shooting star ending its flight in the Milky Way, more precisely somewhere in the constellation Aquila… Alone with my thoughts, I stayed there a moment, watching the stars. From the imposing dolmen, only remained a few menhirs standing in the contrasting horizontal moonbeams, as though there were fossilized humans meeting there regularly, profiting of the fossilized light of the moon to perpetuate the fossilized souvenir of a quasi-infinite time… Thinking to my task, I started walking through the moor: “Find what to do, then do it!.. first, what to do?.. well, the first thing I have to do is to find what to do and then to do it… but if I’ve found what to do, so what about doing it?.. [etc, etc…]”. Though it seemed to me quite loopy, I thought to it a good while before I concluded that what I had to do did not seem to be what I had to find to do and to do… All this made me smile, though I asked to myself if I was getting crazy, or if I was only happy not to be getting crazy !.. By chance, arriving to a Lake made me forget these crazy thoughts. Funny! The moon and a small halo around it reflected so perfectly on the water that it seemed there were almost two moons. But I remembered the advice “Don’t approach Loch’ EdThred”, so I walked into another direction, and indeed I kept walking long hours, resting a moment from time to time, but still I had no idea of what I should find to do. The moon getting down, I knew the night should finish quite soon. Tired, shivering, I sat down… then lay down on the ground, staring at the stars, and the constellation Aquila, and thinking to the man who had gone there, just like I jump over a small brook… Who was he?.. He didn’t seem to be a God… Where could he be actually?.. And finally, I felt asleep… then I dreamt… a very queer dream indeed where I had come back to my usual reality: I was sitting at my desk, looking to my diary on the screen. Everywhere everything seemed normal, so I thought: “Well! Let’s do what I have to do!”… Wow! I had just found finally what I had to found. I opened the notebook and started to write this story. Next, as it was high time to do it, I did what I had to do… Then, exhausted, I went to bed, and felt again asleep… Nearly at once I dreamt, for the second time: a completely different dream, where I was flying, high over the country and the sea, sometimes soaring always higher and higher without a single wing flutter, sometimes diving at a vertiginous speed. With incredible ease I kept flying hours and hours, and so during one night, I had been a virtual Eagle!.. When I wake up, I rushed to my desk to write the end of the story… At last, in fact, what I had to do concerns you, so if you want to know what it was, you only have to click here !..

Duoas, I hope you’ll understand my understanding of your post which I explained quite briefly

PS: I’ve no English teacher, so be clever. And more, it would be very kind to tell me my worse errors… Thanks

Not even an hour after my prior post, I learned my mother had just died (‘pulmonary oedema’ -> ‘passive infarct’)…

… And that makes me think that, in this period of festivities, we should at least spare a few thoughts for all the hill and suffering people, for the destitutes ever more numerous and poorer, and for the families of all the innocents killed every day…

http://yann.g.chez.tiscali.fr/www/Blender-G07/Where_is_the_progress.jpg

Ouch, very sorry to hear that, Gyan. My sympathies.