Translucent texture?

(Riskbreaker) #1

Does anyone know a way to make a translucent texture?

Im thinking of something like those japanese paper-wall-type-things (is that understandable?) where light penetrates but no clear or visible objects can be seen except for silhouettes.

(OTO) #2

Hello

to make a traslucent texture open the Gimp or other app,
do your texture job and when finished “play” with the
opacity slider (let’s say 50%) and save the image in
TGA format without compression.
Now when you’l open this image in Blender you can see “trouhg it”?
Is this clear?
Bye
António

(Riskbreaker) #3

Yeah, your coming out clearly :), although I dont think I am.

The method you gave was Transparency not TRANSLUCENTS

I already know about transparencies.

Translucent by defintion is:

1. Transmitting light but causing sufficient diffusion to prevent perception of distinct images.

(www.dictionary.com)

So I guess what I meant was that the texture has to let light “through” yet not be “see through”…er…I think the best way to explain is this:

*Get a piece of paper
*Go to a lamp and turn it on (by lamp, i mean in real life;) )
*Put your hand in front of the lamp
*put the paper between your line of vision (thats in between your hand and head) but closer to your hand.
*Notice that while not seeing every detail and structure of your hand, light still penetrates through paper and your hand is “visible”.

Thats the “effect” Im after. :slight_smile:

Sorry, I guess I might not have been clear enough, my bad :-?

(banana_sock) #4

so you want to have “shadows” of an object/s visible through the material? You could either just get a silhouette of the object and use it for the texture, or you could use an object in front of the material, with an alpha of 0.001 and a shadow only spot shining on it. A shadow would be cast on the wall, but you wouldn’t notice the object with an that low alpha.

I hope that’s what you wanted…

(bob_dog) #5

I understand what you are going for, but I think it will be very difficult to do in blender.

Perhaps this might be a “work around”: Decide what you want to be “seen” through the translucent object and render it seperately to indavidual files. Use a batch process to blur the hell out of them and make an animation from the blurred files. Now start a new blender file and make your “rice paper screen”. Make the screen semi transparent with a sort of “rice paper” texture on it. Behind the screen place a plane and for it’s texture, use the super blurred animation that you made earlier.

Just a thought.

(Riskbreaker) #6

Thanx for the help fellas :slight_smile:

I’ll try those methods out (kinda busy right now :-? )

(BaDbOyHeRe) #7

You can use the Zbuffer or Env Map to render a shadow using an empty. Use a copy of what is behind the translucent object and put it in front. then render a shadow of the object onto the translucent obj. then render without the copy. I will explain better later…got to go, Tornado Warnings :o

(RipSting) #8

It’s possible, but you’ll need to render your animation twice.

Let’s say your scene is a dojo wall with a person behind it, and there’s a pillar in front of the wall.

You’ll need two scenes-
Scene 1) The normal-textured person, and a shadless black pillar and room. The wall should not be included in this scene.
Render your animation like this, but at 25% resolution.

Scene 2) The normal-textured pillar, and the wall with it’s normal texture, and also with the Scene1 animation with “Win” mapping and “Col” set to around 25% and “add” instead of “mix” as a second texture.

Hopefully that all makes sence.
This will show a blurred person silhouetted behind a translucent wall.

(Riskbreaker) #9

and also with the person’s animation with “Win” mapping and “Col” set to around 25% and “add” instead of “mix”

Now when you say that, do you mean as one of the texture channels on the “Wall” Material?

(RipSting) #10

Sorry I wasn’t very clear- I edited my message to read:

Scene 2) The normal-textured pillar, and the wall with it’s normal texture, and also with the Scene1 animation with “Win” mapping and “Col” set to around 25% and “add” instead of “mix” as a second texture.