Transparency in material nodes

Just playing with the material nodes, and trying to mix transparent and non-transparent materials. It’s supposed to look like a transparent cube with an opaque pattern overlayed on top - I just used the wood pattern to test it. The transparent parts are raytraced - first pic has n=1.05, next has n=1.3. Last pic is the node setup. It seems to work as I intended, exept that a close look a the white cube in the background shows it has a solid shadow, not a stripy one, even though transparent shadows are enabled!

There has got to be an easier way to do that! I can’t think of it right now. But good job!

Haha - there is an easier way! Actually this simple striped effect can be done with ordinary layered textures and no nodes… at least for a plane. I haven’t tried it with anything solid. I just wanted to see if it could be done with nodes, as a basis for more complicated textures.

I think I saw some talk of making the mix node work with combined rgba channels in a future version, so there would be no need for converting the alpha back and forth to rgb, but I’m not sure about that.